What's new

wardonia bakelite razor

Does this one take standard De blades? I've been reading up and it appears that non-standard blades and Wardonia razors are often mentioned in the same sentence. This is an old BST item but it's a razor model I'm looking at at the mo and was just wondering....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...or-quot-WARDONIA-quot-1927?highlight=Wardonia

They take propriety blades, this model is the legger model .... go on this web uk site its everything Wardonia razors or blades eye candy http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk/

Attachments

• $StLegStd.jpg
    $StLegStd.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 404
  • $2008-11-23-1119-58_edited.jpg
    $2008-11-23-1119-58_edited.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Unfortunately they definitely use a proprietary blade. I ended up with several of the razors and they are interesting. Thinking they might work, I bought a mess of old barrel hole blades, but even they are a no-go. Then tried sharpening several original blades but they are made from very thin steel and crack easily, and don't even think of using a NOS blade, your face will NOT like it.

So for me the Wardonia is a dust collector.

Unfortunately they definitely use a proprietary blade. I ended up with several of the razors and they are interesting. Thinking they might work, I bought a mess of old barrel hole blades, but even they are a no-go. Then tried sharpening several original blades but they are made from very thin steel and crack easily, and don't even think of using a NOS blade, your face will NOT like it.

So for me the Wardonia is a dust collector.

Not really, if your a collector then they are worth collecting...but your right in terms of function, they use their own blades and are not very useful.

I had one in the case and it got smashed/crushed to bits when i recently moved, GF backed the truck over a box that was in the driveway, it was a nice razor from what I can remember.

Standard DE blades can be adjusted to fit the Wadonia. With a pair of pliers you can remove the parts of the blade that are in the way. This can be done for both types of the urea (not bakelite) Wardonias but the job is a bit risky.

P

Pjotr

Thanks people. Don't know if I can be bothered modifying blades. Was glad I found out in time. I've just got a 7 O'clock bakelite razor which has become my favorite DE and am sort of looking out for other ones.

P

Pjotr

...............both types of the urea (not bakelite) Wardonias.....

Not that I know much about it but I always had a feeling that bakelite is used liberally to describe any older plastic.

Not that I know much about it but I always had a feeling that bakelite is used liberally to describe any older plastic.

I am hardly an expert either but this one I happen to know. And yes, I agree that all 'vintage plastic' is too easily called bakelite.

Got one of the Wardonia bakelite razors.
It is not too difficult to cut the modern blade to fit inside.
And shaving with it is really great. Aggressive but without irritation. You can see the blade gap on the photo.
Cutting sound is enhanced compared to the usual metal razor, that is a nice effect.

:thumbup1:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Advertisment... look at the top right corner, quite modest :biggrin1:

proxy.php

My Wardonia "Standard" can use regular modern blades (it looks like it would accept either type). Did Wardonia switch at some point from proprietary blades to regular ones?
Mine looks almost exactly like the one in this picture:

proxy.php

... it would appear so. See: http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk/New razor blades.htm

Check the blades on the second row, the 'New' ... there's a barrel hole with corners cut and the next one is a regular Gillette-type blades. Both of those would no doubt fit other DEs as well, particularly Gillette-types with blade retaining lugs in the corners of the top cap.

Looking at the razors (see: http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk/SR22.htm), there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the blade pole positions.

Not being argumentative, but why? One mod which takes literally a few seconds and you're set for certainly three shaves ...

Top Bottom