What's new

Adjusting an Adjustable

Being new to DEs and having RAD, I bought a Fatboy. I've checked the instructions on here but I'd figured I'd ask the group. When you change settings the Fatboy instructions almost imply to try different settings without unlocking the razor (actually, they don't say one way or the other). So...change settings with the silo doors open? Anybody do it closed? I wasn't thinking and "dialed" it while it was locked. I thought, afterwards, that was a dumb idea because it's LOCKED in that position. Figured I might strip something on my mint Fatboy. :frown:

John

I think it has been agreed upon (I may be wrong on this) that an adjustable razor should be slightly open when adjusting, just so the tension is off the blade. I don't believe you will strip anything if it is tightly closed but only that you won't get a true adjustment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most agree that you should loosen the head before changing dial settings. You don't need to open the silo doors all the way, just loosen the mechanism change the setting then re-tighten.

Thanks guys. I tried a "search" on the subject but no luck. I guess I didn't know the magic words.

John

V

VR6ofpain

I never loosen the silo doors on either of my two Slim Adjustables (one is techincally an Aristocrat). I have no problems and would be willing to put money on the idea that Gillette never intended for people to loosen the Silo doors before adjusting, as it wouldn't really be a logical process.

V

VR6ofpain

I don't believe you will strip anything if it is tightly closed but only that you won't get a true adjustment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I disagree with this. You can see the adjustment taking place with the silo doors completely closed, so it is definitely a "true adjustment" as you call it.

At first, I never knew to loosen the silo doors, on a couple of different Gillette Adjustables. One, in particular, seemed to be unbalanced...one side shaved different/closer than the other. After I read, here, about loosening the doors, it now shaves evenly. YMMV

-Jim

I never loosen the silo doors on either of my two Slim Adjustables (one is techincally an Aristocrat). I have no problems and would be willing to put money on the idea that Gillette never intended for people to loosen the Silo doors before adjusting, as it wouldn't really be a logical process.

This has been discussed at great length here, and one fellow even posted extreme close up pictures with micrometer measurements showing that there is no question but that the adjustment will only be accurate and repeatable with the doors slightly open.

I suspect that one can dial "down" with the doors closed, but one cannot dial up with accuracy. What happens when one dials up, among other things, is that the blade is pushed upwards towards the silo doors. If the doors are locked down, then the blade will not be pushed up to it's proper position.

Will you hurt the razor by not opening the doors slightly? Probably yes. The reason that one can dial up with the doors closed at all is that these razors were not designed with extraordinarily tight tolerances such as a camera for instance. In other words, there's enough play in the mechanism, and the metals are soft enough that you can turn the dial without loosening the mechanism, but it isn't designed to work that way.

Search for the post I mentioned, it is here someplace, and like I said, the fellow who posted measured using a micrometer and showed without doubt that the only way these razors work as designed is to loosen the silo doors.

It was that post that convinced me.

The important thing is, who cares if the silo doors are opened or closed or what the instructions say. The important thing is, what works best, either doors opened or closed is what's important. It wasn't written in stone that the doors had to be opened or closed when adjusting the razor.

I'm not sure about all of this. I can certainly see some interesting points, but I just don't know that I buy in. I have never noticed any poor or inconsistent results from adjusting a razor with the silo doors closed.

My original concern was damage to the razor. Therefore I've concluded "err on the side of caution", "better to be safe than sorry", "insert your overused expression here" and I'm leaving my doors ajar.

John

V

VR6ofpain

This has been discussed at great length here, and one fellow even posted extreme close up pictures with micrometer measurements showing that there is no question but that the adjustment will only be accurate and repeatable with the doors slightly open.

I suspect that one can dial "down" with the doors closed, but one cannot dial up with accuracy. What happens when one dials up, among other things, is that the blade is pushed upwards towards the silo doors. If the doors are locked down, then the blade will not be pushed up to it's proper position.

Will you hurt the razor by not opening the doors slightly? Probably yes. The reason that one can dial up with the doors closed at all is that these razors were not designed with extraordinarily tight tolerances such as a camera for instance. In other words, there's enough play in the mechanism, and the metals are soft enough that you can turn the dial without loosening the mechanism, but it isn't designed to work that way.

Search for the post I mentioned, it is here someplace, and like I said, the fellow who posted measured using a micrometer and showed without doubt that the only way these razors work as designed is to loosen the silo doors.

It was that post that convinced me.
Show me the instructions from Gillette indicating to do this and I will believe. Until then I will continue to use my Adjustable razors as I am quite sure Gillette intended them to be used. The whole point of having and adjustable razor is to be able to quickly change the closeness of the shave. Loosening silo doors and measuring tolerances with a micrometer is not very lending toward an easy to use design. I'll continue to err on the side of sanity.

For what it is worth: I have three fatboys and one slim. Not one of them can be adjusted upwards more than two clicks when the silo doors are closed and locked down the final quarter turn. Two of the fatboys are in like new condition, and the third has some chrome missing but the mechanism is like new.

I don't say that your adjustable cannot be adjusted upwards with the doors locked. I'm sure it can be. But that may well mean that the mechanism of your razor is much looser than any of mine. It may have come from the factory that way, it may be that the mechanism is worn.

It may be that my three are defective and the tolerances are simply just too tight.

Or you can just leave your razor on the same setting 24/7 so it really doesn't matter :001_tt2:
Hey, some has to be smarta$$ :biggrin:
The only adjustable I use is my Toggle but I found the setting I like and never change it. Maybe I'm lucky that way.

YMMV of course

V

VR6ofpain

For what it is worth: I have three fatboys and one slim. Not one of them can be adjusted upwards more than two clicks when the silo doors are closed and locked down the final quarter turn. Two of the fatboys are in like new condition, and the third has some chrome missing but the mechanism is like new.

I don't say that your adjustable cannot be adjusted upwards with the doors locked. I'm sure it can be. But that may well mean that the mechanism of your razor is much looser than any of mine. It may have come from the factory that way, it may be that the mechanism is worn.

It may be that my three are defective and the tolerances are simply just too tight.
I forgot to mention that my two Super Adjustable razors also can adjust from 1-9 in both directions with the silo doors locked down with minimal effort. So 4 out of 4 adjustable Gillettes in my arsenal have no problems adjusting with the silo doors tight. One of these two Super Adjustables seems to be in virtually mint shape as well. It seems to me that the fatboy razor seems to be the one with this problem you describe. I do not own a fatboy so I cannot comment. For the Slim, Aristocrat, Super Adjustable, and Super Adjustable (w/ plastic base), I have found no problems making adjustments while I shave without ever loosening the silo doors.

Back when I owned adjustables I always opened the silo doors before turning the collar. With the Fat Boy it made a difference. I never paid any attention with the Slim as I got it after the FB and just figured since it's an adjustable too it would be the same. It certainly made sense to me to do it with them all. Since it only takes a couple of seconds to open the doors, make the adjustment, and retighten the silo doors anyway, I never thought it was that big of a deal. You can do it anyway you like but don't blame me if one day you're shaving and your stripped out adjustable collapes into a useless heap of metal shredding your face in the process as the blade slides earthward.

You have been warned!

FWIW Gillette never did address this in their instruction manuals. Pity they didn't because now we'll never know the official factory stance.

I can make full adjustments on mine with the doors closed. It may or may not make a difference for even measurements and Gillette may or may not have ever intended for the user to open the doors. But it only takes a few seconds to open them and I had rather be safe than sorry. I intend on using mine for many years to come and I try to eliminate any undue stress on the razors whenever I can. I even take 'em on vacation :lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I can make full adjustments on mine with the doors closed. It may or may not make a difference for even measurements and Gillette may or may not have ever intended for the user to open the doors. But it only takes a few seconds to open them and I had rather be safe than sorry. I intend on using mine for many years to come and I try to eliminate any undue stress on the razors whenever I can. I even take 'em on vacation :lol:

I'm also certain Gillette never intended these things to still be in use after 50-100 years. I relax mine before adjusting simply because it is easier. If it is easier to make the adjustment, it must also be easier on the mechanism.

I haven't taken mine on vacation since buying a Gillette travel in a zipper case. Maybe I should. Could be like a gnome thing. Take a pic of razor at famous tourist sights.

I adjust them both way (closed or slightly opened) and they works well, without sign of wear or fatigue.
But adjusting with closed doors meets more resistence, so it is safer to operate opening them a little. I remember those razors are older then mine, so a little attention when handling them is required. But they do work even closed. Probably some other's razor is more tight and requires a little opening of the silo doors... but with a good hand damaging the razor this way is impossible, provided the razor isn't already worn out from long continuous use (or lack thereof).

Show me the instructions from Gillette indicating to do this and I will believe. Until then I will continue to use my Adjustable razors as I am quite sure Gillette intended them to be used. The whole point of having and adjustable razor is to be able to quickly change the closeness of the shave. Loosening silo doors and measuring tolerances with a micrometer is not very lending toward an easy to use design. I'll continue to err on the side of sanity.
+1
Even if it's more accurate if the doors are loosened first, my guess is that the difference is trivial. I would certainly imagine that Gillette never thought the average 1950s shaver would do this. Now, it's only obsessive shaving geeks (myself included) who would even think about this stuff! It would really only matter if the 'error' differences came anywhere close to the difference each click of the dial makes.

Top Bottom