What's new

Name your Swill Beer

Yuengling Lager, or Foster Premium.
Ballantine, if you can find it ,it's a sort of poor mans Heinekin.

I remember two beers that were so cheap a six pack cost less than a buck.
Point Beer (Stevens point, Wis.) We used to joke that there slogan should be "Guarenteed no Two Bottles Alike".
and Elder brau in high school 8 cents a can, Thats a 12 pack for a buck

My "swill"? Homebrew American Wheat Ale. $24 for 48 bottles, and a bit of my time.

Taste 10x better than any american swill they call "beer" Corn has NO place in a beer.

But, its winter, and I prefer higher alcohol dark beers/belgians or whiskey this time of year. Whiskey normally wins out, because its far cheaper than good beer (on a per-drink basis)

C'mon, I am a brewer too and AWs are not swill, please don't sell yourself short. One thing I am curious about is how you are calculating the cost of your homebrew.

Al raz.

My "swill"? Homebrew American Wheat Ale. $24 for 48 bottles, and a bit of my time.

Taste 10x better than any american swill they call "beer" Corn has NO place in a beer.

But, its winter, and I prefer higher alcohol dark beers/belgians or whiskey this time of year. Whiskey normally wins out, because its far cheaper than good beer (on a per-drink basis)

New here...but this a topic I feel I can answer on.....PBR for the price alone....can't beat a 30 pack for $12.99....took it on a weekend camping trick and it did the job perfectly

proxy.php

Yuengling Lager (Brewed in Pottsville, PA; primarily distributed in the Mid-Atlantic region, but expanding.) Very reasonably priced and the best "mass market" beer I've found.

+1, this is excellent. Wish we could get it here in Texas. I don't know that I consider this one "swill" even if it is more of a readily available mainstream beer. About the lowest beer on the totem pole I can stomach is traditional Budweiser. My brother in law drinks it and I can work with it. Certainly not something I would buy, but it's drinkable. All other BMC beers are out. I'd rather have just about anything else including a cheap glass of wine...

There are some excellent beers from Quebec. Try out La Fin du Monde if you ever get the chance. Yuengling isn't swill, I'd call it middle of the road.

Miller High Life is my swill of choice.

Depends where you're located.

As anecdotal reference, here, 5 minutes from the Canadian border, I consider Molson Light a good, inexpensive, tastier alternative to its American brethren from the CO Rockies. When I was in Florida a few weeks ago it was priced at or equal to 'name' imports like Amstel. It has to do with transport costs, brokerage and distribution, etc. . . .

Rolling Rock (again, here) also fits the bill.

Last edited:
I was feeling a bit hot so I asked my wife to go on an expedition to find me some "swill" along with some Pilsner Urquell (not a swill in my book). We finally settled for Miller High Life and I am about to throw up due to the high doses of DMS and diacetyl in it. I think that Miller MGD is a much better beer. Next time I am hot what swill should I try?

Al raz.

Boulevard Pale Ale. It's a local brewery. Definitely not swill, but about as cheap as I'll go on beer.

For years it was Rolling Rock. Haven't had it in years, though, as I stopped buying swill. I figured if I'm going to drink beer, I'll drink what I really want to drink.

Its not Aldi beer is it? my Aldi next door has distributed their letters about their intention to sell booze and I will be interested to see what it is.

Related to henninger, I actually like OeTTINGER, cheap swill that comes in half litre cans for cheap.

I don't recall the brands but in Michigan Aldi tends to sell high-end European beers. Must be a leftover policy from the days where Aldi was a fancy-pants full service grocery store instead of a discount reseller.

Top Bottom