What's new

Who got the NOS Eclipse Red Ring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/280707442189 :001_tt1:

Come on, 'fess up, you know you want to. :wink2:

A pity it didn't have the logo on the head, but quite a find nonetheless.

$$(KGrHqMOKjUE3qGC0(t9BOF+r+wur!~~0_12.JPG

The NOS one didn't look so well kept, it had many bumps and dings it seemed when you did a close-up of the comb area. I liked the style of #2 better, both were too rich for daddy's blood today...

I was just Eyeing it :eek:) but i gave it a good stare down, Eclipse is next on my list, i was looking for a Really NOS, like Shanman said didn't look NOS but none the less was in a condition i would accept, just thought about it to much :eek:/

Am I the only one, or is this an ugly razor? I just don't see it, guys...

I suppose that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me the Eclipse Red Ring is one of, if not THE finest razor ever produced:

Epitome of Art Deco Styling
Hard-wearing Chrome Plating, not Nickel (pretty unique for a 1930s razor)
Magnetic Pick-up in the end of the handle (I find it useful even now)
Micro-Adjustable
Closed Comb with great blade locator pegs in the head
Fantastic Shaver

Way ahead it's time.

Am I the only one, or is this an ugly razor? I just don't see it, guys...
For me it's patriotism, uniqueness, and shininess!

At the time that the Red Ring was designed Britain was still the world’s superpower with the biggest empire ever seen and a technology base to match...
The head design is like no other before or since. On the bottom plate there are teeth but these have a solid guard bar before and below them, the top plate has matching grooves...
The adjustment mechanism was a quarter of a century ahead of the Gillette Fat Boy...
It was chrome plated, which was very rare in that era

Bruce seems to be wrong about the clicking adjuster - unless there was a deluxe model?

http://cgi.ebay.com/280707442189Come on, 'fess up, you know you want to.
A pity it didn't have the logo on the head, but quite a find nonetheless.

Grrrrr. Precious. It wants us.
We wants to have it.
Precioussss.
+_ shakes head _+
Hmmm? What?
Oh,... that old thing?
Unaffordable bauble of a thing, isn't it?
Hardly worth cleaning up, really.
Hmmm.
Yes.
Hmmm.
-= closes eyes =-
... we bites it ...
... it wriggles ...
... Hmmm ...
... preciousssss ...
+_ shakes head _+
Hmmm? What?
-- Chet

No there was never a clicking adjuster.

Just for reference earlier models had the shaded square over square logo stamped into the top of the head, later models had no logo on the top of the head. All razors in the Red Ring range were identical, only the packaging was different.

As I recall, the earlier models are 3 piece razors like a Gillette old type whereas the later models like this one that sold are 2 piece razors where the screw stem didn't come out.

Top Bottom