What's new

Wonder Photos Reveal Unsuspected Facts About Razor Blades And Shaving (Oct, 1931)

Vaseline?

I think I'll skip that and just use a new new blade every four shaves or so.

LOL

cool article. I like the old stuff too. Amazing grammar and sentence structure. Today's ads are at a third grade reading level. It's hard to pick up any magazine that has even a semblance of intelligent or articulate composition.

I apply Vaseline to my blades after each shave, sometimes I use KY-Jelly or Astro-glide. I also use a condom when I shave.

I wonder if there's any advantage to oiling a stainless steel blade. And how about what they said about stropping a DE blade. Does anyone do that now?

I'm assuming vasoline was for the old carbon blades, no need for it with the coated stainless blades we have today. Also I wonder if $ 158-225 a month was a good salary back in the day to be a railway postal clerk?

I wonder if there's any advantage to oiling a stainless steel blade. And how about what they said about stropping a DE blade. Does anyone do that now?

I think you mean safety razor? Not just DE?

When my strop arrives for my AutoStrop (SE not DE) it's my intention to try stropping a SS Feather blade to see what happens. I can get 2 good shaves from one w/o stropping. I also intend to do the same with a carbon steel blade. I think it'll be fun to try this experiment.

It's said that stropping a DE blade on a pants leg will help the edge.

As to oiling a carbon blade, If I apply mineral oil to a SE carbon blade after installing, and when done shaving put 2 more drops on the blade it lasted for weeks. I used it every weekend for weeks and the only care given was shaking the water off and the mineral oil. W/O oil the blade had visible rust in one day.

Thanks for the article BTW. Very interesting.

I especially like the passage:
Each barber seems to have his own ideas of about what strop to use and how to do the stropping

Sounds oddly familiar.. :lol:

Love it that the guy is shaving with that Double Ring.

-jim

Very awesome and interesting. I agree with the writing. Very easy and fun to read.
Edit: At the end of the article I might try to eventually get a razor with those words, "You lather well, I will shave well!" :thumbup1: Probably be best if I put up a laminated sign with something like that in the bathroom.

Last edited:
Interesting and engagingly-written for an 80-year old periodical. I liked the language the writer used; almost like it was written today (with the exception of "photo micrographs"). It makes you wonder why Hollywood screenwriters of that era favored the annoying "aw shucks golly gee" dialogue. If this guy wrote some scripts maybe I'd find older movies more palatable. :lol:

Top Bottom