What's new

Noodler's Flex Nib

Anyone know if these still exist/are in stick anywhere? Looked at Goulet and a few other places and they were out of stock. Any leads?

Alternatively, any other sources of cheap flex-nib pens? I'm really just interested in trying one out to see whether I like the genre.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
They should be releasing some more of those this summer- don't hesitate.

I got one a few weeks back on amazon, but it appears they're all gone now.

I got one of the first ones from Goulet. Sold it off a few weeks later. Less than impressed with it. Just a little gimmicky if you ask me. As far as trying flex pens on the cheap, look at dip pens.

I have two of them, and I like them. There is supposed to be another round of them coming out soon. Get ready for them, because they sell out fast!

I've signed up for a restock notification! If anyone has one they're looking to sell, PM me.

What is the benefits of a flex nib pen?

Tom

Since the nib tines flex in and out with varying pressure, it's supposed to create some line variation and shading-- just a more interesting visual effect than a plain nib.

Not sure if it actually WORKS, of course, but... that's what they tell me.

I bought one, didnt really like it, and sold it a few days later.. For 14 bucks, its worth a try when they come back in stock, but they are not that impressive.

I bought four when Goulet got some in, knowing that I would likely give a couple away.

I do not seem to make much use of the flex properties. I guess I do not know what I am doing. They are rather small and very light. The colors they come in for the caps and barrels are really nice. The piston fill is a nice attribute.

I bought four when Goulet got some in, knowing that I would likely give a couple away.

I do not seem to make much use of the flex properties. I guess I do not know what I am doing. They are rather small and very light. The colors they come in for the caps and barrels are really nice. The piston fill is a nice attribute.

I bought two of them, and feel the same way you do. I like how they write, and they hold a good amount of ink, but I do not use them to their full extent. I think it is all about the difference in the thickness of the strokes, and getting use to using them.

While the flex nibs are an interesting curiosity, I find a standard nib to be much more useful/easier to write with.

If you want line variability without going to a flex nib or italic a stub nib can be lots of fun (a stub nib is basically an italic nib with the corners rounded off - you get line variability (but not nearly as much as an italic) without having to worry about snagging a corner).

As for the Noodlers pens, I wanted to like them, but couldn't get over the fact that they look like they were made in a prison machine shop - really lousy finish and cheaper feeling than my $4 Platinum Preppy.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
While the flex nibs are an interesting curiosity, I find a standard nib to be much more useful/easier to write with.

If you want line variability without going to a flex nib or italic a stub nib can be lots of fun (a stub nib is basically an italic nib with the corners rounded off - you get line variability (but not nearly as much as an italic) without having to worry about snagging a corner).

As for the Noodlers pens, I wanted to like them, but couldn't get over the fact that they look like they were made in a prison machine shop - really lousy finish and cheaper feeling than my $4 Platinum Preppy.

Great advice here!

Well, just bought a black Pilot 78G with a broad/stub nib... impulse buy FTW. Ah well, it has fairly good reviews on FPN, so I think I'll be ok.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but they certainly are unimpressive in the F&F department. The Preppies, to my eye, seem even shoddier, but they have a pretty darn smooth nib. (As a fellow landsman, it is my duty to point out that you're overpaying at $4- Jetpens has them for $3, with free shipping.) I just sent some to my budding artist so she can practice without having to open one to refill it and wreck the house.

I prefer the flex nib to the standard model, and not because of the minimal capability of line variation. Rather, I find I can draw a smoother, finer line with the flex, which struck me as rather counterintuitive.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far, but they certainly are unimpressive in the F&F department. The Preppies, to my eye, seem even shoddier, but they have a pretty darn smooth nib. (As a fellow landsman, it is my duty to point out that you're overpaying at $4- Jetpens has them for $3, with free shipping.) I just sent some to my budding artist so she can practice without having to open one to refill it and wreck the house.

I prefer the flex nib to the standard model, and not because of the minimal capability of line variation. Rather, I find I can draw a smoother, finer line with the flex, which struck me as rather counterintuitive.

Jetpens is the place to get the preppys

Top Bottom