What's new

BMW I-Drive

I'm thinking about buying a new 3-series BMW, but I'm not sure whether to order the I-Drive. Is there anybody here who has had experience with a recent I-drive version and what do you think about it?

Ken

Being a BMW certified technician... I can tell you that it is one of those features that if you have it you will use it...and if you don't you won't miss it. BMW has one of the worst factory integrated navigation setups of any manufacture and it is terribly outdated and sometimes way off in guidance. I am not a fan of the cars in the first place so my opinions maybe biased and not to mention listening to the certifying instructors tell me how much they hate the thing and they are BMW die hards.

Being a BMW certified technician... I can tell you that it is one of those features that if you have it you will use it...and if you don't you won't miss it. BMW has one of the worst factory integrated navigation setups of any manufacture and it is terribly outdated and sometimes way off in guidance. I am not a fan of the cars in the first place so my opinions maybe biased and not to mention listening to the certifying instructors tell me how much they hate the thing and they are BMW die hards.

I don't own one, but my brother-in-law has it in his 5-series. He says it's useless.
Also, as an avid reader of Car & Driver, I can tell you their editorial staff hates it. They poke fun at it every chance they get.

I don't own one, but my brother-in-law has it in his 5-series. He says it's useless.
Also, as an avid reader of Car & Driver, I can tell you there editorial staff hates it. They poke fun at it every chance they get.

I get that from C&D and Road & Track too.

since we are talking about cars, what about the landrover lr3 any owners or leasors?

Good vehicle as long as Ford will just be the parent company and not screw with any of their happenings. They are sexy but appear dated when you look inside. I would still consider one if I needed that such a vehicle.

Hmm, a BMW tech that doesn't like BMWs. Why, may I ask? Then again I haven't had the pleasure of owning one yet, so I wouldn't know them from that aspect.

Hmm, a BMW tech that doesn't like BMWs. Why, may I ask? Then again I haven't had the pleasure of owning one yet, so I wouldn't know them from that aspect.

I don't work for BMW... I went their BMW of NA (North America) and got certified to work on their cars and turned the job offer down. I don't care for the cars... I think they are over priced...over rated...over hyped...etc and too problematic. Plus not to mention I am not a huge fan of their styling... IMO you have to believe in what you work on to make it a career otherwise it is just a job... and I have had plenty of those.

I don't work for BMW... I went their BMW of NA (North America) and got certified to work on their cars and turned the job offer down. I don't care for the cars... I think they are over priced...over rated...over hyped...etc and too problematic. Plus not to mention I am not a huge fan of their styling... IMO you have to believe in what you work on to make it a career otherwise it is just a job... and I have had plenty of those.

The newer and more electronic BMWs are more problematic. The cost has been steady with inflation. 1988 M5 cost $48,000. 1991 M5 cost $64,000. 2008 M5 cost $83,000.

I have i-Drive in an 07 E60 M5. The current version is better and more intuitive than the previous version in my 05 E60 530i. I like it for radio and audio system controls, but I do not like it for the ventilation system. I think it is hard to use only because you have to look down at the LCD screen to tell what exactly is going on. There are some presettings for some subscreen functions (audio, satnav, seat, mirror and etc positions.

I have an 07 M5 and it has 15,597 miles on it so far. It gets used everyday while the old 88 M5, the previous DD, feels lonely. If you can handle paying a premium, then BMW is an excellent choice. If you are not interested, get a Lexus. Love the GS.

I have an 07 M5 and it has 15,597 miles on it so far. It gets used everyday while the old 88 M5, the previous DD, feels lonely. If you can handle paying a premium, then BMW is an excellent choice. If you are not interested, get a Lexus. Love the GS.

If you feel like letting the E28 go, let me know. My first love is for the E34 styling but E28's come close.

If you feel like letting the E28 go, let me know. My first love is for the E34 styling but E28's come close.

Ive have two E28 M5s (one 1985 grey mkt Euro Spec and one 88 NA Spec) and no way. These cars are getting too far and few between good examples. Best I can say is get one soon, the good examples are being stowed away in collections and the moderate examples are cheap but require lots of work, leaving the junkers for scrap yards. Ive seen two this year with engine fires (due to owner neg) and one after it was wrapped around a tree trunk. Just in Denver too!

Top Bottom