What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Heh, stay classy gents.

I wish I could afford a pair of the Iron Rangers since I've been a boots guy ever since I was a teenager. For now, I'll just have to stick with my docs and my gripfasts and sock away the extra cash for a future purchase. Love the idea of a pair of boots that you get to keep forever.

That's exactly why I got the Iron Rangers, Saddleback wallet, and Saddleback belt. I'm tired of spending money for the same thing over and over to have it break and need replacing.

That's exactly why I got the Iron Rangers, Saddleback wallet, and Saddleback belt. I'm tired of spending money for the same thing over and over to have it break and need replacing.

x2. My Iron Rangers are now a little now about a month old, are completely broken in, and are more comfortable than all my other leather shoes. I ordered a Saddleback ID Wallet this afernoon after my last leather minimalist wallet began to fail. I'm 44 years old now and realize I may be purchasing things that, if properly cared for, may outlast me.

Cheers

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Whether it's an optical illusion caused by the brogue style, or whether the boots are actually made a bit differently, it sure looks like the toes are bulbous protruberences, and not the most stylish things to look at.

I say this without any particular animus against the Iron Rangers in general, having been quite taken with the photos of the more standard captoe versions in this thread. But this particular look seems a bit "neither fish nor fowl" which leads me to think I won't go [rimshot] fishing for something this foul. [\rimshot]

Just picked up a pair of Iron Rangers, what a day for boots! I was looking for a pair of brown dress shoes/boots and came across a pair of returned Iron Rangers in my size, $99!! Nice shoes, amazing thing is I'd found a pair of Wolverine 1000 milers for $82 and had gone to a different store to debate about getting them as they were black, not brown. Those were nice too, and I'm still debating about going back next week to see if they're still around.
I'll post on how well the Iron Rangers hold up over the next few weeks.

Just thought I would stop by and drop a few pictures of my Iron Rangers, so far about 8 months of daily wear. I wear them primarily at work and like them looking clean and sharp.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I first saw these in an issue of Esquire last year and absolutely fell in love with them. I found this post here and my love grew exponentially. After a few months I finally ordered these from my local Red Wing dealer as they matched the Amazon price of $280. The people there knew nothing about this boot, but this usually happens to me when I go into most stores that have razors, brushes, and fountain pens, so I thought nothing of it. They measured my foot and I decided to go a 1/2 a size lower. Attendant told me it would take about 8 days for them to get them. After three weeks they finally had them (after I called them constantly). Tried them on and they were too big. Took them back and told the guy I could not wait another three weeks. So I finally gave in to convenience and ordered two smaller pairs from amazon as zappos did not have my size and got them 2 days later through my amazon prime membership. Finally one of the pairs fit and I sent the other back and got my refund in another 3 days. I hate to say it but amazon sure is great about returns and delivery times. They did blister my feet the first couple of days (nothing too crazy) but now a week later they feel a lot better. I am still breaking them in though, cant wait till they feel better and better. I also applied Kiwi Mink Oil and they did get a bit darker but I like them better than their original condition.

I first saw these in an issue of Esquire last year and absolutely fell in love with them. I found this post here and my love grew exponentially. After a few months I finally ordered these from my local Red Wing dealer as they matched the Amazon price of $280. The people there knew nothing about this boot, but this usually happens to me when I go into most stores that have razors, brushes, and fountain pens, so I thought nothing of it. They measured my foot and I decided to go a 1/2 a size lower. Attendant told me it would take about 8 days for them to get them. After three weeks they finally had them (after I called them constantly). Tried them on and they were too big. Took them back and told the guy I could not wait another three weeks. So I finally gave in to convenience and ordered two smaller pairs from amazon as zappos did not have my size and got them 2 days later through my amazon prime membership. Finally one of the pairs fit (full size down) and I sent the other back and got my refund in another 3 days. I hate to say it but amazon sure is great about returns and delivery times. They did blister my feet the first couple of days (nothing too crazy) but now a week later they feel a lot better. I am still breaking them in though, cant wait till they feel better and better. I also applied Kiwi Mink Oil and they did get a bit darker but I like them better than their original condition.

I didn't have any blistering or break-in problems at all. I'm starting to think that's because I went with the size Red Wing measured me to on their electronic sizer (10EE). They do have more extra room at the toe than most other shoes or boots that fit me, but I think that may be by design. My heel fits perfectly when laced, and the ball of my foot and fore-foot break are in the correct spot. If I had gone only on where my toes were and gone a half or full size down, I'm not convinced they would have fit as well as they do and the break-in period would have been painful. As it was, there was no pain or discomfort during my break-in period. They're very comfortable and have been my daily wear choice for the past month. The only leather shoes I have that are as comfortable (not more comfortable) are an old pair of Clark's loafers and an old pair of very broken in Tony Lama cowboy boots I've had for probably 15 years or so. I love the Iron Rangers.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I must say I like the brogue style,better then the originals but thats my opinion I dont mean to offend anyone. I think I could pull em off nicely ill be waiting for these to come out,plus september is my birthday month

Last edited:
Dang! Where did you find these amazing deals?

DSW Shoes (clearance section) at the Mall of America. They had a number of various Wolverine 1000 mile boots and shoes and various sizes, just not quite the ones I wanted.

I got my redwings at Nordstrom Rack at the MOA too.

I've had good luck with finding nice shoes there in the past, you just have to go there somewhat frequently and be very observant, if you're looking for something in particular. They generally have lots of Rockports and Florshiems but every now and again I'll see a Allen Edmonds or Cole Haan shoe.

Hi I'm new to the forum :) i just bought a new pair of Red wing Iron ranger amber harness boots really like them so comfortable just wore them in the house,I'm just wondering which is better Obenauf lp or red wing boot oil ?

plus if i was to use the obenauf lp and they say here that it will darken the leather is that for good ? or once its removed they go back to natural this is my first time to buy a really good pair of boots any help would be really appreciated thanks

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I don't know anything about the red wing boot oil, but the Obenauf's LP is great for me. Any darkening of the leather will basically be permanent ... and you can probably expect the same from the red wing oil as well.

I have brown color as well. I used kiwi brown (what I had on hand) and Red Wing mink oil to finish. they actually looked really nice after that, I promptly had my foot ran over by a door the next day and scuffed the living daylights out if it! So much so that it actually scraped the leather :( A little shoe polish and mink oil took away the cosmetic scuff but when looking at it closely the leather is definitely scraped.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
My only problem I have with my Iron Rangers is should I let them get beat up for that worn in look or keep them looking spiffy. Nevertheless, took them out for a spin last night and I enjoy wearing them. Great boot.

Btw, I think it's time for an updated photo of buddydog's Iron Rangers. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Just found out I have gotten a $90/week raise!!! AND, I was supposed to be getting paid this since the first of the year! So I am thinking I may have them cut me a "seperate" check for the backpay and have some mad money!! Now to expain the appearance of "new" boots to SWMBO??? Hmmmm......, maybe I could buy them and wear them at work, keeping them out of sight until they are "worn" then tell her i picked them up at a thrift store??? She wouldn't know what she is looking at! :sneaky2:

Just found out I have gotten a $90/week raise!!! AND, I was supposed to be getting paid this since the first of the year! So I am thinking I may have them cut me a "seperate" check for the backpay and have some mad money!! Now to expain the appearance of "new" boots to SWMBO??? Hmmmm......, maybe I could buy them and wear them at work, keeping them out of sight until they are "worn" then tell her i picked them up at a thrift store??? She wouldn't know what she is looking at! :sneaky2:

SS, you really need to get your scene under control. Buy the boots and wear them proudly. If your assumption regarding the back pay is correct, you'll have enough left over after taxes to buy her a nice little gift as well.

Disclaimer--I'm not a therapist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express recently...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My only problem I have with my Iron Rangers is should I let them get beat up for that worn in look or keep them looking spiffy.

Both.

Let them get all beat up, then spiff them up, then let them get all beat up, then spiff them up, then ...

... after a while, they will develop a really nice worn-in-but-loved patina.

Top Bottom