What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Almost a Year old now.I wear them with insoles one full size down,thin socks.If you like thick socks you need to go 1/2 size.

Hi Michael!

What insoles are you using? I put a pair of Red Wing insoles in mine and they made the boots way too tight. My Iron Rangers are a 1/2 size smaller than my usual. The Red Wing insoles are pretty thick though.

Thanks

I assume that any brand boot oil or mink oil will suffice? Many local retailers (ie, CVS or Walmart) carry Kiwi shoe care products and other brands as well.

I haven't use mink oil in ages. I remember it being a pain to apply. And it darkens the leather. Does it make it all smooth and shiney? What about water resistant type sprays?

Last edited:
I went with Kiwi mink oil because it is sold locally. I applied a coat on this afternoon. It darkened the leather just a little bit. The mink oil also softened up the leather, which is a plus and hopefully will speed up the breaking in process.

really hoping they offer a steel toe

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. If you're looking for Red Wing steel toe boots, though, don't hesitate to check out their work boots. Many of them are still made in China, but they're still surprisingly high-quality; a pair of 2240s was probably the best pair of work boots I've owned. If you insist on buying American made steel toed boots, check out Thorogood.

I assume that any brand boot oil or mink oil will suffice? Many local retailers (ie, CVS or Walmart) carry Kiwi shoe care products and other brands as well.

I haven't use mink oil in ages. I remember it being a pain to apply. And it darkens the leather. Does it make it all smooth and shiney? What about water resistant type sprays?

I use mink oil on my work boot redwings. Sprays are for the lazy in my eyes, plus I do not want to risk drying out the leather of $200+ boots. I like mink oil and clear wax.

I know when I bought my boots I get free cleaning (I am pretty sure they wipe them down with a damp cloth and then mink oil them) for life, plus free laces for life. I just happen to enjoy cleaning my boots just like I enjoy de shaving.

I wore my Iron Rangers for the first time yesterday. I wore them around the house for a few hours with medium weight socks. I am glad that I used mink oil as it soften the leather up a bit. They are fairly comfortable without insoles, but still will take quite a bit more breaking in.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Did I ever mention how much you guys annoy me? :wink: I picked these up yesterday. Although I read here that most people go a half-size to a full-size smaller, I found that my size (10D) was the best fit. A half-size smaller felt too narrow and a little snug in the toe box.

I'll be wearing them around the house for a little break-in period. I am wearing them with a little heavier sock and they fit great.

I'd like to say thank-you to all of you enablers out there for allowing me the opportunity to get these great boots. THANKS ALOT! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom