Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkova View Post
    Quick question - what kind of socks do you wear with these (i.e., how thick)?
    if/when ever I get the dress boots (Beckman) I'd go with dress socks, maybe a bit thicker dress socks. Any others I'd go with a good thicker boot sock, I prefer a various blends some have cotton some don't, but everyone has their preferences. I like browning's, or Cabela's work socks.

I received my Iron Rangers in the mail today. Quick and free shipping from Amazon (order placed on 9/4, shipped 9/5 and received today, 9/7). Great looking, bad a** boots!!! They look amazing with jeans. Heavy boots and will take some time to break in. Other than that, they are awesome.

Any recommendations on how I should treat the boots? I usually use a water resistant type of spray.
    Adam

Directly from Red Wing
    Oiled Leathers (I think the Iron ranger is in this class) This is what I've done with my 877s
    1 Remove dirt from the shoe by cleaning thoroughly with a stiff bristle brush.
    2 Scrub gently with Red Wing Shoes Leather Cleaner, then wipe off the cleaner and dirt with a clean cloth.
    3 Using leather cleaner reduces the oil in the leather. To re-add oil to the leather apply Red Wing Shoes Boot Oil or Mink Oil as directed.
    4 Add extra protection to preserve your footwear investment. Red Wing Leather Protector provides an invisible shield from water, dirt, oil and mud.

Featherstone Leathers

2 Soak a soft, clean cloth with Red Wing Leather Cleaner. Clean the boot thoroughly with the cloth. Boots should then be dried naturally in a cool, dry place, as high heat can remove oils in the leather.
    3 Gently apply Red Wing Shoe Creme with a clean, soft cloth.
    4 Shine the boot by brushing before the shoe creme is fully dried.

Jim is offline In a perpetual state of violent agreement and attentive to nice titulars
    Images

No one has these in my size.. Damn still looking

Congratulations Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

Congratulations Adam
    Any good red wing retailer will order them for you and let you try them on without a commitment.

Thanks! Boot Oil or Mink Oil will really darken the boot though. The leather on the Iron Ranger seems to scuff very easily. I presume that is the nature of Oiled Leathers?

Quote Originally Posted by jlanger View Post
    Directly from Red Wing
    Oiled Leathers (I think the Iron ranger is in this class) This is what I've done with my 877s
    2 Scrub gently with Red Wing Shoes Leather Cleaner, then wipe off the cleaner and dirt with a clean cloth.
    3 Using leather cleaner reduces the oil in the leather. To re-add oil to the leather apply Red Wing Shoes Boot Oil or Mink Oil as directed.
    4 Add extra protection to preserve your footwear investment. Red Wing Leather Protector provides an invisible shield from water, dirt, oil and mud.

Featherstone Leathers

2 Soak a soft, clean cloth with Red Wing Leather Cleaner. Clean the boot thoroughly with the cloth. Boots should then be dried naturally in a cool, dry place, as high heat can remove oils in the leather.
    3 Gently apply Red Wing Shoe Creme with a clean, soft cloth.
    4 Shine the boot by brushing before the shoe creme is fully dried.
    Thank you Jim. I am still smitten over these boots. My wife loves them too. Keep looking.

Congratulations Adam
    Try Amazon. They have all sizes in stock. Check often because they change the proces often. I caught them at 22% off.

Any good red wing retailer will order them for you and let you try them on without a commitment.
    Adam

Iron Rangers are nice boots. I plan on picking up a pair of Gentleman Travelers, (or Bechman round toes) in the Black Featherstone color, my local Red Wing store has them for $249, same price for the rangers too, I might try a pair of those on and see what I think. I love my 8 inch 877s and they're currently in for a retread, going with a slightly different sole this time with a rubber/crepe combo, the tread on the crepe sole just wears out really fast, even though it's comfortable as heck. Someday I hope to pick up a pair of engineer boots as well, but those aren't quite as practical, they just happen to look really cool.
    From what I've heard and talked about with the red wing sales guys is that the beckmans and the iron rangers do have a long break in, mostly due to the incredibly stiff sole, Once they're broken in though they last a long time, resoling/restore doesn't have to be done nearly as often as with the softer sole boots.

One nice thing about living in MN, not only do i have the factory just 30 minutes away, I have at least 12 fully stocked red wing stores competing against each other for my service!

I've got the 877's, Ranger, and Gentleman Traveler's and my favorite, hands down, is whatever pair I'm wearing that day. Can't go wrong! I'd like to add the Engineer Boots to the stable soon.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    I received my Iron Rangers in the mail today. Quick and free shipping from Amazon (order placed on 9/4, shipped 9/5 and received today, 9/7). Great looking, bad a** boots!!! They look amazing with jeans. Heavy boots and will take some time to break in. Other than that, they are awesome.
    Hi Adam!

Did you go down a half or full size when you ordered your Iron Rangers?

I ordered a pair yesterday and went down a half size from my normal Red Wing work boot size. I hope they fit?

Also.....are you going to wear them without an insole or are you going to put one in?

I can't wait to get mine!
    Nate Edwin Jagger 89L.......Mercur Futur......Mergress

I went a half size down. Normally a 10 and went with a 9.5. They fit great.

I plan on wearing them without an insole. I may have went with my normal size if I was going to wear them with an insole.

Quote Originally Posted by snatiep View Post
    Hi Adam!

Did you go down a half or full size when you ordered your Iron Rangers?

I ordered a pair yesterday and went down a half size from my normal Red Wing work boot size. I hope they fit?

Also.....are you going to wear them without an insole or are you going to put one in?

I can't wait to get mine!
    Adam

10. Default

Well, My Iron Rangers arrived today and they are truly a beautiful pair of boots. I ordered a half size smaller and they do fit great with no insole. They are surprisingly comfortable without them too?

I took a pair of insoles out of a different pair of Red Wing work boots I have and put them in the Iron Rangers......... doesn't' work. They get much, much too tight all around! I'm not sure if ordering your regular size would work with insoles, but if you plan on ordering these boots, and follow the recommended half size smaller, padded insoles will make the boots too tight.

Do any of you Iron Ranger owners wear these boots with padded insoles?

I wore them around the house yesterday and today. So far, they are very comfortable without the insoles. The Iron Rangers are a work of art. I never felt this way about a pair of shoes or boots :) I can't wait till they get nice and broken in.

What color did you order? I have the Amber Harness. I thought about getting Black, but generally lean towards browns for boots.

Well, My Iron Rangers arrived today and they are truly a beautiful pair of boots. I ordered a half size smaller and they do fit great with no insole. They are surprisingly comfortable without them too?

I took a pair of insoles out of a different pair of Red Wing work boots I have and put them in the Iron Rangers......... doesn't' work. They get much, much too tight all around! I'm not sure if ordering your regular size would work with insoles, but if you plan on ordering these boots, and follow the recommended half size smaller, padded insoles will make the boots too tight.

Do any of you Iron Ranger owners wear these boots with padded insoles?
    Adam

Thanks! Boot Oil or Mink Oil will really darken the boot though. The leather on the Iron Ranger seems to scuff very easily. I presume that is the nature of Oiled Leathers?
    True they do darken the leather a bit but I actually thought it added character to my 877's. My leather scuffs easily too, though getting the oil in and doing it fairly frequently seems to help. I guess it makes the leather more pliable?

The red wing store I'm currently using had a pair of iron Rangers that they'd polished with some brown polish and they were really sharp, not sure how much weather protection that will offer though.

I might as well "go by the book" and follow their shoe care recommendations. The boots will age nicely over time. Is the Boot Oil and Mink Oil easy to apply? It probably gets all in the stitching and stuff.

Nah, I'll pass on shoe polish, not my thing. Neat idea though.

True they do darken the leather a bit but I actually thought it added character to my 877's. My leather scuffs easily too, though getting the oil in and doing it fairly frequently seems to help. I guess it makes the leather more pliable?

The red wing store I'm currently using had a pair of iron Rangers that they'd polished with some brown polish and they were really sharp, not sure how much weather protection that will offer though.
    Adam

Jim is offline In a perpetual state of violent agreement and attentive to nice titulars
    Images

I have been using this for 40 years.

Images

I have been using this for 40 years.
    What's in it? I've been using neetsfoot oil and wolverine leather conditioner depending on application.
    James

Bearing the burden of responsibility..... It's probably my fault.

Treat your silver as if it were earthenware and your earthenware as if it were silver - Seneca, Letters of a Stoic

16. Default

I might as well "go by the book" and follow their shoe care recommendations. The boots will age nicely over time. Is the Boot Oil and Mink Oil easy to apply? It probably gets all in the stitching and stuff.
    Hi Adam!

I've been using the Red Wing boot oil on all of my other Red Wing boots and plan on using it on my Iron Rangers. It is easier to apply than pasty mink oil. With the boot oil, I just use an old sock, drip some oil on the sock, then rub the boot down. Very easy.

I know many people who swear by Obenauf's boot oil. Do any of you have any experience with this stuff?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...-s-leather-oil

I haven't used mink oil in a long time. I remember it being tough to apply. I'll give the Red Wings boot oil a shot.

Hi Adam!

I've been using the Red Wing boot oil on all of my other Red Wing boots and plan on using it on my Iron Rangers. It is easier to apply than pasty mink oil. With the boot oil, I just use an old sock, drip some oil on the sock, then rub the boot down. Very easy.

I know many people who swear by Obenauf's boot oil. Do any of you have any experience with this stuff?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...-s-leather-oil
    Adam

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    What's in it? I've been using neetsfoot oil and wolverine leather conditioner depending on application.
    The tub I have has long lost its printing- strangely, I looked on the website and could not see any ingredient lists-

http://www.pecard.com/about_us.html

Almost a Year old now.I wear them with insoles one full size down,thin socks.If you like thick socks you need to go 1/2 size.
    Michael

Michael