What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Quick question - what kind of socks do you wear with these (i.e., how thick)?

I've been eyeing these for a year now and this thread is pushing me to pull the trigger - I want to be sure to try them with appropriate socks. Fortunately I've been on the 2011 sabbatical!

They came in yesterday and look so much better than I thought they would. The full size smaller fits like a glove and are pretty comfortable out of the box already, although there are going to be a few trouble spots. I can't wait to start breaking them in. Pictures to follow soon.

they get more and more comfy as you wear them. at first i was like "wth?" they hurt that much. but after a week or two of only wearing them they settled in.

This is how they look polished lightly.
proxy.php

Just received mine in black on Friday and have been wearing them. Mine are TERRIBLY uncomfortable, I hope they break in to something wearable as I was planning on using them for work, which will require long hours of standing sometimes. Fortunately I have a few months to break them in before needing to stand in them all day. They look the part, just wish they were a little more comfortable out of the box.

Does the contrast stitching on the sides get stained easily from polish?

I've got these (not my actual pair) and they do take a bit of time to break in.
proxy.php

I am fortunate enough to have a Red Wing store locally and they actually sized me up on their fancy sizing machine. Turns out I have a fairly narrow foot. So, they ordered the boots in my size and they were really not all that comfortable for awhile. But, spending 8 years in the military, I knew that once a good pair of leather boots breaks in, they feel as good as a pair of slippers. Sure enough, they fit great now.

These Iron Rangers look fantastic, but strangely enough, I'm unable to locate them on Red Wing's site. What the dillyo with that? I may take a ride up to the local store and inquire about them...they look incredible in black.

Steve

Edit: I found them under the "Heritage" section of their site..the 8814's, but I am a 'B' width, looks like they only come in "D's." I may have to visit my local store tomorrow - We all know nothing good can come of that, LOL.

Last edited:
They take about two weeks of wear to get comfortable.I can now wear them all day without feeling the need to take them off.That's rare in any shoe for me.I think I will buy another pair to have just in case they decide to make them "new and improved" like a lot of my favorite things.My suggestion is to buy one half size smaller than what you usually wear.

Ok, I succumbed, ordered a black pair from my local red wing store...Hopefully they fit. These things are expensive, but, as the old saying goes; "Buy once, cry once."

Steve

I am jonesing for a pair of Iron Rangers. I love the styling, escpecially the capped toe. They will make a nice, casual, rugged boot. I went to a local Red Wing authorized retailer today. They did not have the Iron Rangers in stock. Them closest style they had in stock was the Beckman, so I tried them on for size. MSRP on the Iron Ranger is $280. Amazon has them for $219.28 (22% off) with free shipping. Fantastic price! And they are sold and shipped directly from Amazon.

Iron Rangers are nice boots. I plan on picking up a pair of Gentleman Travelers, (or Bechman round toes) in the Black Featherstone color, my local Red Wing store has them for $249, same price for the rangers too, I might try a pair of those on and see what I think. I love my 8 inch 877s and they're currently in for a retread, going with a slightly different sole this time with a rubber/crepe combo, the tread on the crepe sole just wears out really fast, even though it's comfortable as heck. Someday I hope to pick up a pair of engineer boots as well, but those aren't quite as practical, they just happen to look really cool.
From what I've heard and talked about with the red wing sales guys is that the beckmans and the iron rangers do have a long break in, mostly due to the incredibly stiff sole, Once they're broken in though they last a long time, resoling/restore doesn't have to be done nearly as often as with the softer sole boots.

One nice thing about living in MN, not only do i have the factory just 30 minutes away, I have at least 12 fully stocked red wing stores competing against each other for my service!

Beckman's
proxy.php

Engineer boots
proxy.php

Thanks for bumping this thread jlanger. I haven't worn my Iron Rangers all summer, but having read your post and knowing I have to pick up my daughter from soccer practice on this chilly rainy night in Gotham I figured it's a perfect night to don my Iron Rangers. Even though it's the first time I put on these boots in a few months, they are just as comfortable as they always were.

Thanks for bumping this thread jlanger. I haven't worn my Iron Rangers all summer, but having read your post and knowing I have to pick up my daughter from soccer practice on this chilly rainy night in Gotham I figured it's a perfect night to don my Iron Rangers. Even though it's the first time I put on these boots in a few months, they are just as comfortable as they always were.

NP I'll always take credit for someone elses work!! (walds11) I was thinking of my boots too and how much I need a second pair as Red Wing is taking 4 weeks to resole mine!!! :(

The only problem with mine is that I don't get to wear them enough, so they're taking a while longer than I like to fully break in. Being active duty military, I have to wear my uniform to work every day and I don't get out much after work, so I mainly just wear them on Saturdays since it's my errand day with my wife. They're getting better with every wear, but I know they'll be amazing really soon and the wait is killing me.

I was the one who bumped the thread :thumbup: Amazon has great deals on Red Wing boots. I got my Iron Rangers at 22% off! Amazon is an authorized Red Wing retailer.

NP I'll always take credit for someone elses work!! (walds11) I was thinking of my boots too and how much I need a second pair as Red Wing is taking 4 weeks to resole mine!!! :(

Top Bottom