What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

I went a size up from the Shoe size. I.e I wear RW's in a 10 and went with an 11 in the overshoes, which worked very nicely. They are probably over kill but when I've had to go through a very tall drift of snow that's up to the bottom of my SUV, or even having to shovel the back walk quickly in the morning so the kiddies don't get too full of snow, these are very handy.

Here's the topic link
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/325310-Galoshes-Boots

FYI Amazon has these as well, similar price but free shipping if you have prime.

I went a size up from the Shoe size. I.e I wear RW's in a 10 and went with an 11 in the overshoes, which worked very nicely. They are probably over kill but when I've had to go through a very tall drift of snow that's up to the bottom of my SUV, or even having to shovel the back walk quickly in the morning so the kiddies don't get too full of snow, these are very handy.

That sounds great, as my landlord often takes 1-2 days or more to get someone out to shovel the walk, even when there is 18" of snow on the ground.

I love'em. Might get the Hawthorn's and throw hiking lugs on them and a pair of 8114's to shine up

Last edited:
They look great with jeans or khakis:

$003 (3).jpg

Ben

OK, so my iron rangers just arrived today. I tried on a pair at a Red Wing Store a while back, but $310 was a little too rich for my blood. I finally got some cash together and was able to order a pair online for almost $100 less. I ordered the exact same size I tried on at the store, but as soon as I put these on I could feel that they were a lot more snug across the foot. The length and the toe box are fine, but one foot seems to be quite a bit more snug than the ones I tried on. There is a pressure point along the seam at mid foot. This is only on one side, the other foot feels fine. I figured I was in for a break in, but I'm worried that these are not going to break in the way I wanted. How snug is too snug at the beginning?

Karl

Ha, I'm not sure I quoted the right person there, lol. But my point was that IRs are a year-round boot for me, and I actually avoid them in icy and snowy conditions.

karlm said:
OK, so my iron rangers just arrived today. I tried on a pair at a Red Wing Store a while back, but $310 was a little too rich for my blood. I finally got some cash together and was able to order a pair online for almost $100 less. I ordered the exact same size I tried on at the store, but as soon as I put these on I could feel that they were a lot more snug across the foot. The length and the toe box are fine, but one foot seems to be quite a bit more snug than the ones I tried on. There is a pressure point along the seam at mid foot. This is only on one side, the other foot feels fine. I figured I was in for a break in, but I'm worried that these are not going to break in the way I wanted. How snug is too snug at the beginning?

This could be a lot of things. Are you wearing the same socks as you did when you tried them on? Are both boots the same size? Where did you buy the ones from online? Sometimes people get burned with seconds/defects that have made their way onto the market where unsavory individuals sell them as first quality.

I bought them from Planetshoe. Theme seemed legit. I'll be sending them back fairly soon. I ordered up a pair in the EE width from Amazon, so I hope the extra width will make all the difference. Not quite the same same discount, but I'd rather have boots that fit. The socks were the same ones I tried them on with at the store. The boots were the same size and model. Just looking at them though, the boot that is pinching looks slightly smaller. I know there is a possibility of one foot being bigger than the other, but I've never had this problem with any other shoe. I'll give the wider size a try. The length is dead on though. They match up perfectly with my other shoes.

My left foot is about half a half size bigger than the right one. Well, I know what I mean! Causes problems in shoe shops as they always get the right foot and I have to ask for the other!

My IRs were slightly tighter across on the left but are breaking in with no problems.

Gareth

Well. I finally broke down and returned them. I just didn't see how they were going to stretch enough that I was going to wear them. I ended up finding a pair in the same size but in EE width. That was all the difference. The EEs are a little more spacious than I would like in the toe area, but I can actually put them on with boot socks now. They are still a little stiff, but I feel like I could wear them all day right now. The other ones were not bearable for more than an hour.

Mine are breaking in nicely. Still some hot spots where they break over my toes, but they'll get there.

Took mine to the local Red Wing shop for an oiling and relacing. I do it at the beginning of Fall and Spring every year. I pretty much wear them year round, at least a couple of times per week.

Cheers!

I also wear my IRs year round alternating muleskinners with a pair of brown harness. Just gave the brown pair their fall oiling. The hawthornes are due for some mink oil but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Just bought my first pair of real boots and went with amber harness IR's. Wore them for about 4 hours tonight and I think once they stretch a tad on the sides and hopefully a little in the left heel they will be great boots. I have a quick question though, being brand new and winter just around the corner here in Salt Lake do I need to oil or prep them in any way right now or just get them treated at the red wing store in the spring?
Thanks in advance guys!

IMO I'd prep them now. It'll help deal with any snow/salt you get into.

Also be mindful of ice, IR's are not good on anything slick.

Thanks for the reply, I only walk about a half mile to work each day so not too much exposure to salt but there will be some. Red wing makes a leather spray protector it seems or there is the obenhaufs lp that every thread is basically torn on whether beeswax or mink oil is bad for the leather. I probably will just grab one and give it a try.

Top Bottom