What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

My IRs were uncomfortable until just recently. They took about a year to break in. They felt too tight across the ball of my feet, the heels would slip, and the soles just felt like a plank of wood that didn't conform to my foot at all. They're comfortable as can be now.

Seems like a long time but I would agree. My muleskinners are a little over a year old and I would saw they are just about perfect. I picked up a brown pair a month or so back and they have a long way to go.

I've worn mine for a solid 7 days non-stop. I have noticed the heel slippage reducing as the days progress. The bend creases are becoming more pronounced and they don't feel quite as flat bottomed.

I will be conditioning them again tonight and give them the weekend off. I can see the comfort horizon not too far off in the distance with these boots.

I've worn mine for a solid 7 days non-stop. I have noticed the heel slippage reducing as the days progress. The bend creases are becoming more pronounced and they don't feel quite as flat bottomed.

I will be conditioning them again tonight and give them the weekend off. I can see the comfort horizon not too far off in the distance with these boots.

Make sure to use cedar shoe trees if you're wearing them that much if you're not doing so already. When traveling, I've used balled up newspaper to get the moisture out of the boots in a pinch.

Make sure to use cedar shoe trees if you're wearing them that much if you're not doing so already. When traveling, I've used balled up newspaper to get the moisture out of the boots in a pinch.

This is honestly where I have questions. From my experience it would seem that dryness is a bigger concern for leather products in general than is moisture. In fact I've heard for years (and I think even read it on these forums) that one of the best ways to get leather "broken in" and conformed to the foot is to fill the shoe/boot full of hot water, dump it out and wear it wet all day long.

So my question is why should I be concerned about the moisture from everyday wear? I do apply conditioner regularly and try not to put them though too much abuse.

Cedar shoe trees will help pull the moisture out of the leather insole and maintain the boots in their proper shape while they dry out. Constantly staying damp is bad for the leather. Treating the leather replaces and supplements the oils in the leather. Shoe trees will remove the water vapor but won't pull the essential oils out of the leather. There are others on the forum with much more knowledge of this than me, and I hope they chime in.

My boots are 2 yrs old, are worn 2-4 times per week year round even in the Texas summer, and the leather still looks great and is buttery soft. For treatment, you can use products like Obenauf's or SnoSeal. I believe the RW website recommends boot oil or mink oil for the amber harness leather on the Iron Ranger. I've used mink oil once before, but have subsequently used the RW boot oil. Personally, it's just easy for me to drop by a RW store on a weekend about 3 times per year and have the do the free boot oiling and laces replacement.

I just bought a pair of IR's yesterday, then found this thread! Seems I'm not alone in having good taste around here! For VERY long time I've been looking for a pair of boots that were just a classic, casual yet tough and timeless boot that I could wear most of the time. Tried out some Timberlands and just wasn't impressed with the fit (way too sloppy) and the contraction was just ok (the particular model I was looking at was made in India). Checked out Frye boots, but not many retailers in my area that had the styles I wanted to check out in stock, and quite honestly I wasn't super impressed with the ones I did see in person.

Just happened to check out Red Wing's site again to see if there was something that caught my interest and noticed the Iron Ranger. Found a local shop near me in town that had them and checked them out. Went down a half size from what I normally wear. Tried my regular size but it was way to sloppy (I have a low volume foot) and the larger size broke right over my big toe and was very painful. the half size smaller seemed perfect out of the box, wearing them without any insoles (I did try the half size up with insoles and they just weren't right.)

Now I just have to figure out how/what to treat them with. keep reading conflicting advice, especially on mink oil. For this type of leather it seems like Red Wing does recommend mink oil, but have read that monk oil overtime can degrade the stitching and isn't ideal. Have also found that there are different grades of mink oil, and some of the 'cheaper' brands have additives that can actually degrade the leather over time. Not sure how true this is, since so many people seem to use mink oil. Have also read great things about Obernauf's products in particular their boot oil and LP (which I'm guessing stands for leather protectant). Going to head up to Cabellas today and pick some of their stuff up and start with the boot oil. Hoping it darkens the boots a little bit, since I think they are a little light in color for my taste, otherwise they a seem like wonderful boots.

Obenauf's oil is very good stuff. It does darken the leather some--made my 875's look much better IMO. My IR's are black, so they didn't get much darker:001_smile

ODJ, the Red Wing stores will oil your boots for free if you ever want to go that route (and replace the laces for free as well). Those boots you picked up will treat you very well. Welcome to the IR club!

ODJ, the Red Wing stores will oil your boots for free if you ever want to go that route (and replace the laces for free as well). Those boots you picked up will treat you very well. Welcome to the IR club!

Yep, there's a Red Wing store a few miles from me. You can also go on their website and have them send you free laces as well.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I went out and shoveled the steps and sidewalk before leaving for work this morning, and I and I can unequivocally proclaim that these boots are not good on snow or ice. Multiple times over the course of 10 minutes I was doing the Oh **** Shuffle, trying to not crack my skull open.

I have a pair of Sorel's that I normally wear for that kind of stuff, but it was only a few inches and I was in a hurry, so I didn't want to have to change my shoes after shoveling the front sidewalk and the sidewalk out the the garage. I think the Iron Rangers will be reserved for non snow days, and the Docs will come back out for the white stuff.

Almost exactly one year after making this statement I've decided to follow through with it. There have been close calls, but no falls, The straw that broke the camel's back came last night after my foot repeatedly slipped off the clutch after walking through the snow covered parking lot and getting in the car.

Good update Derrick, thanks. This is the reason I went to the Beckmans instead of the Iron Rangers. It was all about the sole.

Almost exactly one year after making this statement I've decided to follow through with it. There have been close calls, but no falls, The straw that broke the camel's back came last night after my foot repeatedly slipped off the clutch after walking through the snow covered parking lot and getting in the car.

IMO Anyone that wants to wear these in the winter wtih a lot of snow/ice, should pick up a pair of these:
$t314.jpg

http://www.slipfreeshoes.com/shop/overshoes/boots/servus-dress-zipper-mid-overshoe/

Will save you a lot of grief and wear and tear on your boots. These are a life saver for me, I used to have to see clients in the inner city St. Paul, often the same day I was at court so having a good pair of overshoes was very helpful. After I slipped and bruised the daylights out of my ribs one winter day going up a set of unshoveled stairs I got a pair of these on recommendation from someone here.

I can vouch that these fit the ranger quite well, I'd assume they'd also fit most other "larger" dressier boot.

IMO Anyone that wants to wear these in the winter wtih a lot of snow/ice, should pick up a pair of these:
View attachment 491679

http://www.slipfreeshoes.com/shop/overshoes/boots/servus-dress-zipper-mid-overshoe/

Will save you a lot of grief and wear and tear on your boots. These are a life saver for me, I used to have to see clients in the inner city St. Paul, often the same day I was at court so having a good pair of overshoes was very helpful. After I slipped and bruised the daylights out of my ribs one winter day going up a set of unshoveled stairs I got a pair of these on recommendation from someone here.

I can vouch that these fit the ranger quite well, I'd assume they'd also fit most other "larger" dressier boot.

How did you order for sizing? I might be interested in a pair of these as my landlord is really crappy when it comes to snow removal and a normal pair of overshoes often doesn't cut it.

Top Bottom