What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Are these REALLY that good??? I am just wondering if I need these in my closet or not?! There is a fella' at the local store who I helped out with some advice, and he said he could swing me a deal, have not confirmed what that deal would be.....

If you can swing a discount, I would definitely look at these boots. As I've mentioned, they are very comfortable and built to last and last and last. Buy quality, buy once.

I believe that each Red Wing store is indepentently owned and operated. I called one in the DFW area and they offered me 20% off sincd they didn't stock them. I then called the closest store to me, told them what the other store was offering, and they matched it. 20% off retail is nearly $60, so that is a nice discount.

As you can probably tell, I can't recommend these boots highly enough.

Cheers

I love mine, but Red Wings, and all these old style boots aren't for everyone, plus they generally have a bit of a break in period, sometimes lasting a month or so.

Agreed on the long break in time. They're wonderful once you get them worn in, but man - those first couple of weeks were rough. Plus, I'm still not a fan of the stock leather liner. Yes it's formed to my foot, but it still hurts my feet after a couple of hours.

How are u guys caring for the boots... I've been using Montana pitch blend leather dressing but I think the bees wax is a bit too oily for it

I've used mink oil on mine one time (I've owned them about 5 months). I wear them an average of 3-4 days per week and use cedar shoe trees when I take them off. I haven't needed another application yet. The next time I need to apply some product, I'm going to go by the Red Wing store and have them apply the free coat of RW boot oil to see how that product works.

The website says to use mink oil or the boot oil, if memory serves...

Is the quality of Wolverine in the ballpark of Redwing? I can get Wolverines in Shanghai and am thinking of buying a pair on sale for the winter.

The Wolverine 1000 Mile boots are very high quality, similar to the Red Wing Heritage line (where the Iron Rangers live). The 1000 Mile boots are a little dressier, IMO, similar to the Red Wing Beckman Gentleman Travellers.

Whether you go with the Wolverine 1000 Mile line or the Red Wing Heritage line, you can't go wrong. It's all about personal preference.

How are u guys caring for the boots... I've been using Montana pitch blend leather dressing but I think the bees wax is a bit too oily for it

Decided to treat with mink oil this morning. Great look, and great for the boots (and recommended by the Red Wing website).

Iron Rangers followed me home today.

A little more expensive than the $1.45 block of allum from the Indian supermarket

And the $1.65 for witch hazel from target.

I've got black polish all over the white contrast stitching, anyone have a suggestion for cleaning it up?

I think most owners just hit them with mink oil, Obenauf's, Sno Seal, or RW Boot Oil and avoid the black or brown polish. Not sure how to help you on the stitching.

I've got black polish all over the white contrast stitching, anyone have a suggestion for cleaning it up?

Yea I've got brown polish all over my stitching I just tacked it up to the cost of keeping them shiny enough for the court room. I still get complements on them even after nearly 6 months.

Top Bottom