What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Man, those boots sure look swell, wish I could get a line on a discount for a pair.

I'm torn between the "amber" color and the black ones; I ordinarily wear black boots (docs, gripfasts, etc) and will be looking to replace a pair of steeltoed gripfasts soon, but there's a relatively new pair of black doc marten's on the shoe rack and zero brown boots (except for a pair of clarks desert boots, but that's different).

Maybe, like quality shoes (or so I hear) it would be best to have a couple pair of black boots and just alternate days of use to extend their life.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Man, those boots sure look swell, wish I could get a line on a discount for a pair.

I'm torn between the "amber" color and the black ones; I ordinarily wear black boots (docs, gripfasts, etc) and will be looking to replace a pair of steeltoed gripfasts soon, but there's a relatively new pair of black doc marten's on the shoe rack and zero brown boots (except for a pair of clarks desert boots, but that's different).

Maybe, like quality shoes (or so I hear) it would be best to have a couple pair of black boots and just alternate days of use to extend their life.

Go brown.

The appearance of a good, quality leather like they no doubt use with these can improve with age ... but not with black, which just continues to look ... black.

Not that black is bad, but ... dude, try brown!!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. :yesnod:

proxy.php

Ok gents, you've done it again. Picked up a pair of the iron rangers in amber this afternoon, plan on breaking em in all week.

They just seem to wear better and better and better. I have the Beckhams, too, but am now looking at Red Wing exclusively for another boots purchase. Constant compliments, also, to those of you whom which it matters. I've even had guys tell me they've been searching all over for a style "just like that".

Awesome footwear :thumbsup1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Getting close to putting these away for the spring/summer. I better wear them a few more times before the weather gets too warm.

We wear boots through the summer months down here in Texas. I'm still wearing my IR's, so we'll see how long I can go.

I did put about 5 miles or so on them last week going on walkabout around downtown Dallas, spending the day walking between museums, etc., before heading over to the American Airlines Center to catch a Dallas Stars game. Comfy...

I plan on wearing mine throughout the summer as well, I must say I brought out the Stetson Fedora today 80 in MN (In March too!!)

Well the Iron Ranger experiment has failed over here. For some strange reason, I was not able to get a pair to fit properly in both length and width. Even the EE width IR's in and around my size ended up being either too long or too narrow at the toe. Guess I just don't have red wing feet :) This sad tale involves a return of a pair to a rather snarky gentleman at Nordstrom along with two pair returned via UPS to Amazon (that Nordstrom guy was just too much).

On the upside, I went to a brick and mortar workboot shop and scored a pair of Chippewa boots that fit great and IMHO look better than the IR's (maybe a little). Ah well, can't win em all, right?

I own 2 pair of RedWings ... one is safety-toe boot for work and the other is a dress shoe for nightlife. Both are about 4 years old.

The boots are still going strong. I get them "tuned-up" regularly which the shop does for free. I just have to leave them overnight and then I pick them up before 8pm. I usually turn them in on Sunday before a Federal Holiday, and pick them up on Tuesday. So I do it 10 times a year for 4 years, give or take. And they still look and fit and feel great.

My dress shoes, on the other hand, have just about reached the end of their useful life. I only paid $50 for them and they want $80 to resole the heels. Not worth it.

For the same $50, I picked up a clearance sale on Rockports last month, and let me tell you, OMG these are the most comfortable shoes I've worn in like the last 20 years. I've had Rockports before, but these have a new "Dynamic Suspension System" insole that is remarkable ... first shoe I've ever had (including other Rocks.) that did not need any insole.

I've also switched exclusively to Thorlo socks. I have 5 pair so far, and plan on getting at least 5 more, so I can accomodate every day of the week and every potential activity that might come up. I'm going in about $100 on 10 pair of socks, but if you've ever worn Thorlo you know that its worth it.

Time for a 90 day review (actually a few days short of 90). Apologies for the not-so-professional iPhone pics...

I purchased these in mid January from a Red Wing brick and mortar store in Carrollton, TX (DFW area). After waiting for 2 weeks, they arrived at the store. I went true to size, and unlike some of the others that have posted here, that worked out well for me. The only thing I've done to them is treat them with mink oil about a week after bringing them home. Break in was no issue, as these were very comfortable right out of the box (I'm convinced that these boots are designed to have a good amount of room at the toe since the ball of my foot / break in the boot is right where it should be and there is plenty of space in the front of the boot. By dropping down a 1/2 size as many recommend, I think break in would be more uncomfortable).

I wear these about 4 days per week, and use cedar shoe trees when I take them off each evening. I brush them off about once per week. They have been outstanding and are very comfortable. They've been through heavy rainstorms and long days on my feet. I don't use aftermarket insoles, and the leather insoles that come in them have completely formed to my foot. Bottom line-I love these things!

Here are some shots (apologies for the ugly office carpet that our building went with...)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom