What's new

Picture tutorial: How to "tune" a Hero 616 fountain pen

Any reason you couldn't pull the nib/feed/breather tube out as one piece to clean the pen? Seems it would be easy to rinse the sac and collector that way. You'd have to turn the nib assembly a bit at a time to get the hood to line up again and regrease the hood threads, but it would seem to be a good way to completely clean the pen if you are changing inks.

I am assuming there is no reason to not do this before the initial filling? I am curious and will have to try this after the holidays. We are buying a house and it might be nice to use this to sign the papers!

Oh is the Teflon tape a good or bad idea? Seems to be a neater solution.

I Know I am coming in WAY late here but I am having a problem with my 616 writing fine for a few sentences and then (although loaded with ink) it stops flowing...

Is that part of this problem as well?

Thank you
Joe

Hey, sorry for bringing up such an old thread but I just received my order of a 10-pack hero 616 and I am having the same problem. The pen writes fine but a few gentle shakes causes it to spit ink all over the place. I see many people asking the same question here which never seem to get answered so I thought I'd ask again. What causes the ink to leak and why does applying the silicone grease stop it from happening?

I followed all the steps but one. I deviated at the silicone.

I substituted - Teflon tape - and it worked like a charm!! You know the white stuff you use on plumbing threads..
Be careful with the Teflon/plumber's tape. If you use too much of it, you can build up a thick layer which could potentially put stress on the plastic when you screw it down tight and cause cracking.

Hey, sorry for bringing up such an old thread but I just received my order of a 10-pack hero 616 and I am having the same problem. The pen writes fine but a few gentle shakes causes it to spit ink all over the place. I see many people asking the same question here which never seem to get answered so I thought I'd ask again. What causes the ink to leak and why does applying the silicone grease stop it from happening?
The silicone grease acts as a gasket and prevents the ink from seeping out at threads.

I'm looking forward to trying this method on my hero 616s. Unfortunately it looks like the images disappeared from this thread. Does anyone have a link to a version with the original images?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I'm looking forward to trying this method on my hero 616s. Unfortunately it looks like the images disappeared from this thread. Does anyone have a link to a version with the original images?

Welcome to B&B! How long have you been a fountain pen user? It's hard to say about the images, since this is an older thread, but let me check into that for you. :001_smile

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The images were hosted off site, and have been lost. Sorry :(

Yup, Imageshack got all stinky in 2015 and started charging $3.99 per month to host images on what started out as a free service. I lost quite a few pics that had been on forums since 2008 that year, too. Too bad the images weren't stored on the B&B gallery!

Thanks for the welcome. I've been using fountain pens for about a year. I've found that the Hero 110 is my favorite for work since they write smoothly, look good, and have a hooded nib which keeps them from standing out too much in a meeting. I'm also a fan of the window to see when ink is running low. The 110s seem to be impossible to find, so I've been trying out the 616s. I'm hoping that a little bit of tuning will lead to a smooth writing and reliable pen.

Top Bottom