What's new

Steampunk

I recently started reading a Steampunk Primer and thought it was pretty good fiction. After looking around I found that most Steampunk is romance and erotica...any suggestions for Steampunk fiction without the romance and erotica?

Thanks.

I can suggest Perdido Street Station and The Scar by China Miéville. I recently read both and thought they were very good. Some sex but definitely not romance or erotica. He tells a very descriptive and...weird...story.

Last edited:
I'm find with sex, just not erotica or romance style of writing. Great suggestions so far.

Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (not the execrable film) illustrated novels are good. Gibson and Sterling's original collaboration, "The Difference Engine" isn't bad either. +1 on anything by Mieville. Also, I think it's worth checking out Wells and Verne themselves if you haven't yet.

I quite liked The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder, a kind of Steampunk detective novel.

That's the one I just picked up! Did you know many of the characters were real people, as far as fiction goes, Richard Burton was a real guy who was jab through the cheek with a spear.

I work at a library and we just ordered the second book.

There's always 'The Difference Engine'. or Adam Roberts' 'Swiftly' where the denizens of 'Gulliver's Travels' are exploited by European Imperial powers and Babbage's machine is made to work by trapping Lilliputians in the mechanism or for ur-Steampunk Harry Harrison's 'A Transatlantic Tunnel - Hurrah' where a descendant of failed revolutionary leader George Washington builds a link between the old country and its colonial possessions.

That's the one I just picked up! Did you know many of the characters were real people, as far as fiction goes, Richard Burton was a real guy who was jab through the cheek with a spear.

I work at a library and we just ordered the second book.

there is an appendix in the book where he goes over the real people and who they were. It's also the first book in a trilogy and I can't wait for the next 2.

Top Bottom