What's new

Casey Anthony thread: for those who didn't get to participate in the original thread

Well, I can appreciate that you feel strongly about the issue.
The truth of the matter is, that the system does indeed work. Not perfectly, but any attempt by we few here to make a better system is armchair histrionics.
It didn't work here to the satisfaction of some, and not much can be done about that now.
Vote for the people who you think will do a good job, and vote for people who you think will appoint people who will do a good job.
I'll wager you that there are a lot more cases like this that people are NOT up in arms about, and I'll wager they happen every day in every state of the union.
We know about this one due to the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the likes of Nancy Grace, even after it's over, as if she didn't get her ounce of blood.
Yes, many more cases like this, and the right thing to do is to vote out incompetents, like you are saying.
There was a local case here a few years back that shows what the power of the vote can do. An area near where I live is somewhat rural and has become prone to burglaries and break ins. When I say prone, I mean broken into multiple times during a year. One man who lived there was returning with his wife from grocery shopping and noticed a vehicle pulled behind his work shop. He went inside his home and produced a hunting rifle, then shot into the thief's vehicle as he was driving down his drive way trying to escape. The thief made it onto the main highway, then bled out and died a half mile down the road. The DA for Mobile County decided to prosecute this man for murder. The man was interviewed and said he'd been broken into a dozen times or more just that year and it would take the police two or three hours to come out to fill out reports. No extra patrols, just responding to break ins after the fact. He plead his case that he and many others in the area were so frustrated that they had to take the law into their own hands if the police and the DA wouldn't. There were local petitions where literally thousands were signing saying to free the man due to inaction by local law enforcement, with repeated calls for the DA to be kicked out of office. After a week or two, the case was quietly dropped by the DA, who did in fact serve one more term before retiring. Break ins in that area slowed down afterwards, as well, due in part to thieves being scared of being shot and more concentrated patrols.
Sorry to go off topic, but this does show that we can influence at least our local justice systems into doing what they are paid to do if they want to stay in office or keep their jobs.

A. I haven't heard a word of the opinions of Nancy Grace regarding the case. I presume her show is on cable, which I don't have. I haven't researched what she said either, probably because I don't care. I sure have heard plenty of opinions of her opinions though, everywhere I go.

B. I believe the media frenzy in this particular case began with the family, especially the grandparents of the child, going to every possible media outlet asking for help in the search of a missing child whose face was on their T-shirt at all times. The interest of media viewers was piqued by the meloncholy story and I'm sure at that time, everyone wanted to help find this missing child or at least wanted the child to be found safe and healthy. Then, little pieces and facts of the story started to surface, not adding up. This is when the media attention began to spiral out of control. On the other hand, what else is the media going to do.... Stop following the story? Report fairly? We all know major media does neither of those with a story with that much ratings potential.

Top Bottom