What's new

Mysterious Gerbault

I found this Gerbault three-piece razor awhile back and am only now getting around to posting this. It was pretty shiny when I got it, only required a little cleaning, and came with the case. Does anyone know anything about these razors?

Attachments

• $gerbault01.jpg
    $gerbault01.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 201
  • $gerbault02.jpg
    $gerbault02.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 193
  • $gerbault03.jpg
    $gerbault03.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 195
never seen one looks kind of cool how dose it shave

I haven't tried shaving with it yet. The blade gap is enormous compared to my usual Gillettes, so I want to make sure I'm awake and have time to be careful with the blade angle!

Yeah. Looks like it holds the blade pretty straight, too, like the new Muhle (in other words, not much bend in the blade). Probably a very aggressive shaver.

What an elegant looking razor. What does the case look like? Nice score!

One of the pictures from the listing - the case is a bit faded on the outside, and the hinge is weak, but it's all in one piece.

I was super excited when I got this in the mail!

Attachments

• $$(KGrHqYOKpcE3JY(ci49BN4muPgKZQ~~_3.jpg
    $$(KGrHqYOKpcE3JY(ci49BN4muPgKZQ~~_3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 154

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Agreed it's French. I can translate what's on the blade if you take a clear snap close to it from a bird's point of view.

Yeah. Looks like it holds the blade pretty straight, too, like the new Muhle (in other words, not much bend in the blade). Probably a very aggressive shaver.

I tried it out this morning; much more aggressive than my usual Gillette TTOs.

Agreed it's French. I can translate what's on the blade if you take a clear snap close to it from a bird's point of view.

I was more curious if anyone knew more about the company and its history. The markings on the blade aren't too special; they just indicate that it's Gerbault deluxe (not sure how that would fit into the range that they offered), disposable and made in France. The last part was a bit surprising, as I don't really associate France with razor blade production.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was more curious if anyone knew more about the company and its history. The markings on the blade aren't too special; they just indicate that it's Gerbault deluxe (not sure how that would fit into the range that they offered), disposable and made in France. The last part was a bit surprising, as I don't really associate France with razor blade production.

I thought the blade might give more clues... Someone else used to have one here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/138500-Gerbault-DE-Cool!

There's not much information floating around French produced razors (Straights of Safety Razors). It's actually a bit difficult to find some information as they have "special" coding of the manufacturer and there aren't any publication (in French or other) to reference them...

I don't really associate France with razor blade production.

There was a vast razor blade production industry in France, with maybe a dozen manufacturers and hundreds of brands. Probably twenty or more razor manufacturers as well, producing some of the finest razors ever made:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom