What's new

Got my best friend into wetshaving

So about 10 days ago I brought over some things to a friend's house. He knows I'm into traditional wetshaving, and has expressed a mild interest. I had a (cheap) dopp bag and put inside it:

1 tub of VDH Deluxe
1 tube of Derby Normal Cream
Shea Moisture Brush
1 Feather Popular DE Razor
Assorted Blades
Bottle of Shave Secret
Styptic Pencil
Ceramic Shaving Bowl
Bottle of Witch Hazel

After explaining to him the ins/outs of wetshaving, we did a 'test lather' using the Derby, then using VDH. I explained how everything was used. He has been talking to me about every other day, telling me how awesome it is! He had been using Fusion carts, but was tired of the cost.

Now I just need to introduce him to B&B!

You must have more accomodating friends, my buddies think I'm a mental case for using the old school way hahaha OH well it is what it is.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You must have more accomodating friends, my buddies think I'm a mental case for using the old school way hahaha OH well it is what it is.

Same here, I don't even mention it anymore. I have given away a couple of nice Super Speeds in the past but I don't think they are being used these days.

I gave a good friend a bottle of Shave Secret and a Slim adjustable. He loves it! Yesterday he got a gold Slim (Aristocrat) just because he wants one in gold. He won't collect but he certainly enjoys wetshaving. He really digs the Feather blades I gave him.

I am getting a great friend of mine into it. He is sold on it, but he has to assemble his "kit" first. He insists on not starting until he has everything. He and I have tried to get our third amigo into it, but he said, "Not me. I need my Mach-20 razors." Sigh . . .

I posted a thread about it, but I also sent a kit to my friend in Kuwait. We spent a year in Baghdad together and I remember how expensive and spotty the shaving supplies were there. I mailed his kit off yesterday, so I can't wait to hear from him again.

My friends fall into three camps:

1)The friends I converted to DE shaving
2) The friends who step out my bathroom and always say "I love your old-school shaving stuff."
3) The friends who claim I'm a fool for using "old technology" (Most of them have beards; they've admitted that they grow them because they always had bad shaves with those multi-blade contraptions and canned goo).

When it comes time to trim the guest list for my wedding, I know who who to cut. :001_smile

Everybody I talk to about DE shaving just looks at me like I have a third arm growing out of my forehead. I guess next time I'll bring it up to my friends.

+1 on this one.
...Not to mention my wife thinks I have lost my mind....my extremely....smooth....bbs....what were we talking about?

My friends are mostly young guys that don't think twice about shaving. I haven't converted anyone yet, but we've decided if we ever hold a Man Convention, I'm heading up the Shaving panel.

Recently got one of my friends into it. Gave him a tech that I had got off ebay, some IP blades, derbys, and some of the usa personnas that can be found at the 99 cent stores around here so if those work for him and he doesn't want to buy online. Gave him a quick rundown on how to do it, he has only used electric shavers before. I was explaining to him about brushes and soaps/creams but he didn't want to jump that far into it right away and is using barbasol goo for now haha. So far he likes it.

Top Bottom