Thread: Merkur 34C closed comb vs 34C open comb?

Images

Default Merkur 34C closed comb vs 34C open comb?

I have a very tough beard! Supposedly the open comb is better for us tough beard guys? Why??? Is the head curved more to be more aggressive because i dont see how an open comb helps to shave a tough beard!?? I know its supposed to comb the hair but i shave every day so my hair isnt long enough for that...
    -Foxhole Shaver-

Hmmmm. I have a tough beard also, and use open combs interchangeably with closed combs. I don't notice much difference. I'd say the OC lets part of the blade get closer to the skin, if I had to point out a difference. The biggest difference between DE's is with the Slant Bar. These do seem to give a closer cut.
    Eric V

i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance. e. e. cummings

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric V View Post
    Hmmmm. I have a tough beard also, and use open combs interchangeably with closed combs. I don't notice much difference. I'd say the OC lets part of the blade get closer to the skin, if I had to point out a difference. The biggest difference between DE's is with the Slant Bar. These do seem to give a closer cut.
    Thanks for the info! Ive been wondering about the slant bar...cant i just slant my regular de razor on my own by turning my wrist a bit?
    -Foxhole Shaver-

cant i just slant my regular de razor on my own by turning my wrist a bit?

Yeah, you can try that, but I find it is better to just turn my head completely sideways and shave with my left hand (eyes closed, of course!).

oops. now I'm thinking you may be serious. If you are serious, you can't turn your wrist to duplicate the cut of a slant razor. The slant is a different construction and gives the blade a special opening and twist that can't be obtained any other way. There have to be some photos of a slant head around here somewhere.
    Last edited by Eric V; 07-06-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added the oops clause!
    Eric V

i'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance. e. e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric V View Post
    I too have a tough beard and also alternate between an open and a closed comb. I also do not notice that great a difference between the two, but I would agree that with the open comb the blade seems to get a little closer to the skin. I would add that my blade angle always seems to be a little steeper with the open comb even though the head curvature appears to be the same.

I like the looks of the open comb. If you want closeness, there is probably nothing like a slant bar.

Al raz.

I like the 11C (OC version of 34C) much better than the 34C. Both are good but the OC is smoother.