What's new

Newbie Soaking up the Safety Scene

I'm pleased to report that after decades of disposables, I'm hooked on the DE experience.

My first week net was 5 great shaves without so much as a scratch. Having occasionally used a single edge in the distant past and not at all concerned about shedding some blood while I perfected my technique, I used Feathers for my first go at DE shaving - they are awesome!

I'm definitely more interested in the rituals and quality products (goodbye Edge!) than I am in achieving some extraordinary level of smoothness... a serviceable shave works for me.

Any advice on frequency of blade changes? I have a heavy beard and noticed a distinctly different feel between shaves 4 and 5. I'm thinking it's time to change the blade.

Welcome to B&B! Sounds like a good start, it only gets better as you keep at it. Changing blades really depends on the blade and your beard. Some blades are able to go for more shaves than others. I get about 5 shaves out of a merkur blade. I would suggest between 3-5 shaves per blade IMO.

Welcometo B&B. I think whats best for you is to experiment with how often you change your blades. Most members change blades anywhere between 3 and 6 shaves. However YMMV so see whats best for yourself.

I know I change my blades after 4 shaves, but remember everyone is different. You just might have to change blades after every 2 or 3 shaves from the sound of your beard, but I think you're gonna have to find out for sure by seeing when the blade starts to pull or stick. It shouldn't take you long to find whats best for your beard, but remember that blades don't cost much, so its not worth it to settle for a poor shave, :cursing:

Welcome to B&B-town!

I haven't used a lot of Feathers but have heard a lot of guys say that performance drops off a bit quicker than a lot of other blades. But everyone's beard is different. Perhaps changing after 3 or 4 shaves is a good idea (depending of course on how many passes you do - which seems to be something people don't really talk about when talking about blade life). You'll soon get a feel for when to change.

I personally find that I can get 7 or so great 2 pass shaves out of a Personna Med Prep.

My first week net was 5 great shaves without so much as a scratch.
Wow! Lucky dude!

Blade changes? I've found with better prep and technic, my Feathers last at least 7 shaves. I also have a heavy beard. Most of the shaves are 3 or 4 pass shaves.

If you notice a drop off in quality between shaves, it is the right time to retire the blade!

No way I am getting seven shaves from the Feather, in fact I found I was getting more shaves from the Lord blades than I did from the Feathers.

The difference was that the first two shaves with the Feathers were so light and sharp, while the third shave was noticably rougher and I was more inclined to get razor burn or minor nicks. The Lord blades shaved "longer", but never were ever as sharp or as clean a shave as the Feather. I have gotten over the "gotta make this blade last" push, it's just not worth it given the price of the blades and the relative quality of the shave.

If you only get two shaves out of a Feather blade, but love the feel and quality of your shave, then just go with the flow.

Most of the time its 4-5 shaves as I have a light beard. I started out to save money as well. Now I have 3 DEs and 2 brushes. I made the second brush myself and liked it so much I got a new lathe and make them on the side for sale. I have a host of creams and soaps. I save about $4 a blade and spend a lot of cash on other shaving items. To further that I just bought a used straight razor. The people here SUCK (just kidding) everytime I hear someone talking about a great new product I just have to have it.

Welcome! Regarding blade changes, its pretty personal. Whenever you think you're not getting a great shave, switch it out. As long as you can afford switching out the blades (most are very cheap) I think its better to waste 10 cents than have a bad shave.

Top Bottom