What's new

What is the deal with all this zombie crap?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I appreciate the thoughtfull social commentary deconstruction but remember ...

In the event of Zombie attack, apply the Veg!

when George Romero really rethought the notion of "zombie" in first Night of the Living Dead then Dawn of the Dead
It's worth pointing out the contribution of Richard Matheson's "I am Legend."

It's a great book that could have made a wonderful movie. Unfortunately, every film based on the book has been made by people who've tried to be clever and thrown out everything that is good about the book. I had high hopes for the recent Will Smith version, but no, yet again, nothing like the book.

I will say that zombies are an internet joke in the gun forums. Lets face it, there is no point in owning an 11.5" barreled AR15 with a gemtech supressor on it, other than "I can" and "its fun." So... you make up a need for it, zombies. Want all the latest and greatest go-fast gear, blame the need incase the zombies come. When friends ask why you have 10K rounds of ammo in your room, blame the zombies (when in reality thats only about a months supply!)

Exactly my excuse. I really needed that katana machete, "to kill Zombies". Just an excuse so I don't have to explain that I'm actually just a bit paranoid about societal collapse. Which coincidentally would be somewhat similar to a zombie out break!

It's worth pointing out the contribution of Richard Matheson's "I am Legend."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)
It's a great book that could have made a wonderful movie. Unfortunately, every film based on the book has been made by people who've tried to be clever and thrown out everything that is good about the book. I had high hopes for the recent Will Smith version, but no, yet again, nothing like the book.

I agree that it's never been given a really good treatment, but there's a kind of charm to the Vincent Price version. I also have a warm spot in my heart for the Omega Man, which I loved watching with my friends when I was a kid. I was very disappointed to see it again after many years--it didn't live up to my memory of it. The most recent Will Smith one was terrible. We'll probably never get a good version of it now.

Top Bottom