What's new

What is the deal with all this zombie crap?

It's art imitating life. (that's art, not Art...)

take a look around you- you're on the hiway, the guy/gal in the car in front of you is swerving and weaving all over the place. Drunk? No. Texting...

You're at the mall and say "hello" to a blank looked youth, who passes by unaware of your greeting, yet you then notice the iPod earphones permanently lodged deep into the ear canals..

And the eating of brains? Oh yes, that too: "Dancing with the stars", "The Bachelor/ette", "Dr. Phil", "American Idle" have destroyed more gray matter in the past ten years then a level 5 zombie outbreak over a similar span of time.

Real zombie outbreaks are far easier to deal with:shotgun, machete, flamethrower and a few grenades and you're styling...

The creeping real world decline into zombiism is far more insidious and pervasive, and likely is not going to go away.

+1

Last edited by a moderator:

take a look around you- you're on the hiway, the guy/gal in the car in front of you is swerving and weaving all over the place. Drunk? No. Texting...

You're at the mall and say "hello" to a blank looked youth, who passes by unaware of your greeting, yet you then notice the iPod earphones permanently lodged deep into the ear canals..

And the eating of brains? Oh yes, that too: "Dancing with the stars", "The Bachelor/ette", "Dr. Phil", "American Idle" have destroyed more gray matter in the past ten years then a level 5 zombie outbreak over a similar span of time.

Real zombie outbreaks are far easier to deal with:shotgun, machete, flamethrower and a few grenades and you're styling...

The creeping real world decline into zombiism is far more insidious and pervasive, and likely is not going to go away.

Spot On.

I'll add people spending time on Facebook (a pointless community, of people liking things, Farmville and Happy Birthday wishes) and the strange fad of cupcakes (a pale imitation of a real cake).

Was never one for zombie stuff , so a friend of mine lent me a book :

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z

I quite enjoyed it . You could replace zombies with a virus outbreak and
it would still be an enjoyable read .

For me it was the way governments of different countries, dealt with
the outbreak . We all think our society is quite firm , but once
the unknown and unbelievable becomes real - all sane decisions become
primal and the need for survival .

Didn't mind the two films : 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later

Cheers ,

Scott

Braaaaains ... braaaaaains ... braaaaaaaaaaaiins!!!

:letterk1:
A traditional dish in the UK…

"Call Mr. Brains, that's my name, that name again is Mr. Brains!"
$MrBrainsAd2z.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry, I feel the same way about bacon, I just don't get it.

Hold your tongue Sir! Bacon is meat candy! I love a good thick peice of peper bacon...

I saw a girl that was wearing a shirt that said "Have you seen my zombie" and it just seemed really odd.

Er, why do you have 10,000 bullets in your house?

Because you never know! Really though I do a lot of target shooting (hand guns) and skeet for fun. We loaded a BUNCH of shotgun shells a few months ago.

Because 20,000 is kind of overkill.

Amen!

My guess - It's for the zombie loving crowd.

I guess you never know what might happen these days....

I just figured out multi quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :001_smile

A zombie thread without George Romero??? Blasphemers!!!

I love zombie flicks. I got hooked with the first three Living Dead flicks from Romero. His later attempts to cash in on zombies have not been up to snuff. But his early films were so influential that zombies are now much more accesible. Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland and a whole slew of B-Z grade flicks are a fun watch. There is a selection on Netflix Instant called Hide and Creep...Grade Z- but hilarious.

What is the deal with all this zombie crap?

Now I know what I stepped in. How do you remove zombie crap from your shoes?

I can tolerate the zombie nonsense a lot better than when they turned vampires into teen heartthrobs for twelve year old girls. The zombie stuff is mostly just boring; the teenybopper vampire stuff makes me gag.

I will say that zombies are an internet joke in the gun forums. Lets face it, there is no point in owning an 11.5" barreled AR15 with a gemtech supressor on it, other than "I can" and "its fun." So... you make up a need for it, zombies. Want all the latest and greatest go-fast gear, blame the need incase the zombies come. When friends ask why you have 10K rounds of ammo in your room, blame the zombies (when in reality thats only about a months supply!)

I will say that zombies are an internet joke in the gun forums. Lets face it, there is no point in owning an 11.5" barreled AR15 with a gemtech supressor on it, other than "I can" and "its fun." So... you make up a need for it, zombies. Want all the latest and greatest go-fast gear, blame the need incase the zombies come. When friends ask why you have 10K rounds of ammo in your room, blame the zombies (when in reality thats only about a months supply!)

I knew I could get an answer here! Thank you!!!!

I don't want to worry you, but you are obviously really unprepared. What's your canned food, bottled water, and ammo situation?

Silly person you can't shoot zombies, one or two extra holes does nothing. What you want is an ax and a flame thrower. Better yet a flame throwing ax. Kill 'em with fire!!!

Without a flame throwing ax I'm afraid you're not truly ready for the Zombie Apocalypse when it comes.

Silly person you can't shoot zombies, one or two extra holes does nothing. What you want is an ax and a flame thrower. Better yet a flame throwing ax. Kill 'em with fire!!!

Without a flame throwing ax I'm afraid you're not truly ready for the Zombie Apocalypse when it comes.
That was much less impressive than you led me to believe.

That was much less impressive than you led me to believe.

Zombie Killing you're doing it wrong.

It should a little more like this...... but with an ax, Axe is good for nothing

$horror_movie_28_days_later_ss1.jpg

Yeah! Obviously if I don't like something, no one else can! The world should only be full of things I approve of.

Durn kids!

I agree with you about this. The funny thing is, when George Romero really rethought the notion of "zombie" in first Night of the Living Dead then Dawn of the Dead, he was really reworking a rather minor figure in pop supernatural culture. Before that, for the most part zombies were tied to Voodoo or Hoodoo, and African-American or Afro-Caribbean culture. Look at Tourneur and Lewton's dreamlike "I Walked With a Zombie" or read Zora Neale Hurston's "Tell My Horse." Not at all what we're dealing with now. It's Romero who really transformed things (followed up with all the European Zombi stuff), particular with Dawn of the Dean in which the zombies were milling around in a shopping center. It was great, grotesque fun, but it was also pointed social commentary.

At some point consumer culture did what it does in similar cases: it swallowed the criticism. Romero's biting social satire became sucked into the machine and used to generate new, profitable products. I think that the success of the trope of the zombie is precisely that it touches a nerve with us. If the rise (and probably the continued popularity) of Dracula and his kin was about repressed Victorian sexuality, it was also about social conditions too. A double whammy: Dracula lets you explore your own dark desires and still worry about having your lifeblood drained, only by the Prince of Darkness, not by the demands of 19th C industrial society.

Like Seraphim says, now we find ourselves surrounded by shallow, distracted people living what looks to us like meaningless lives and the Zombie gives us a way to think about it. And, just like the hero in a zombie movie who only got a little bite, nobody gets away unscathed. The danger is inescapable. They always get you in the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom