What's new

USPS Priority Mail Question

I just mailed a trade yesterday to some one and used priority mail as the package was too heavy to go first class mail. I got a tracking number but when I go to the USPS website it says, "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site."

With priority mall do you still have to pay an extra fee for web trackable tracking numbers or delivery confirmation services? If so that's really frustrating.

Im not to sure but I do know it takes a day or two for them to update the tracking info sometimes.

USPS is often very slow to update package status. Tracking has limited worth, but packages usually arrive on time.

With priority mall do you still have to pay an extra fee for web trackable tracking numbers or delivery confirmation services? If so that's really frustrating/

At the post office, yes. Online, no.

Tracking depends on the barcode being scanned by one of the barcode scanners. The scanners are in most of the major mail centers, but not in every post office. Also, most mail for which you pay a "nonmachinable surcharge" is hand processed, which means it likely will not be scanned very often. All of this is a long way of saying, whether or not a package is trackable by USPS is hit or miss.

USPS tracking isn't like UPS or fedex. For most classes of mail it's more a delivery confirmation service. Sometimes you get lucky and there is tracking but mostly it says delivery info received and the next thing you see is package delivered. Some classes like express mail and EMS do have actual tracking.

I just mailed a trade yesterday to some one and used priority mail as the package was too heavy to go first class mail. I got a tracking number but when I go to the USPS website it says, "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site."

With priority mall do you still have to pay an extra fee for web trackable tracking numbers or delivery confirmation services? If so that's really frustrating.

USPS SUCKS, I have stuff with their #'s that have been delivered and still nothing on the tracking page.

I use USPS Priority for just about everything (shaving stuff, pipes, fishing stuff, etc). I always pay extra for delivery confirmation. The web site tracking is not like FedEx or UPS but then I'm only paying about $5. Surprisingly the last order I got from Sharpening Supplies the USPS web site was current at first I thought they had shipped UPS. Anyways, I have never had a problem with stuff being delivered in a very timely manner.

They have pretty much answered your question. For me, Priority Mail is a good option, but shipping overall seems to have really gone up. My Priority Mail stuff almost always gets delivered in 2-3 days. Delivery confirmation isn't the same as tracking and isn't always updated promptly. The main reason for it is to have proof that something was delivered to the correct address.

I'm not worried about the package arriving. I've never had a problem with delivery with USPS. I just want to know what I need to do so that next time I give someone a tracking number for something I've mailed them it's actually useful.

Thanks for your replies gents. Always appreciated.

Always remember that you're dealing with the government here, and we all know how efficent the government is. Soooooo, with that said. :w00t: :001_tongu :wink2:

Top Bottom