What's new

Some general Taylor of Old Bond St questions...

So I posted this in this forum cause I have questions about a lot of their products. First off my first shaving cream when I started DE/wet shaving was the TOBS sandalwood. I love it. Almost through my first tub of it heh.

So I am shopping around and see they make their sandalwood scent in all kinds of different products...

What is the difference between their soap and their cream? And how about the cream in the tub vs the cream in the tube?

What is the difference between their aftershave balm and their splash? How about their gel? Their lotion?

And basically I will say that for after my shave I don't want anything strong or lingering, I won't be coupling it with the cologne or anything. Right now I use Aqua Velva and it lasts for a while, feels good going on and air drying, smells good and is far from too strong. So I am kind of looking for something similar in terms of feel, moisture, scent level, etc. I just don't know enough about the differences in gel, lotion, balm and splash I guess.

Any help or comments are more than appreciated, I also used the search feature and found some separate topics about most of these things but nothing that compared them. If this is the wrong forum for this sorry in advance, please feel free to move or lock or delete if you need to :).

I have used their Jermyn Street range. I've tried the shaving cream (in both tub and tube), after shave balm and after shave splash. They all smell exactly the same and all are fantastic products. I haven't tried any of their sandlewood stuff though, so can't comment about scent uniformity across their entire range. The Jermyn St after shave splash is strangely thick, so you need to use three or so squirts of it, which my wife tells me is a little too much as it's quite strong in the scent department. It's almost more like a cologne in terms of scent strength.

The cream in the tub (in my view) is slightly thicker in consistency than the cream in the tube - I got the tube for travelling before I discovered shave sticks ...

Hope this helps!

Cool, sounds like I am either going with the tub of cream or the soap depending on whatever someone shares about those differences.

And that is kind of what I am afraid of in terms of the balm vs the lotion vs the splash vs the gel. Too strong and I can't really use it due to work heh. Thanks for the input Chris.

I really like the TOBS Sandalwood Range -- soap, shampoo, deodorant, aftershave, the whole line (I haven't tried the cream). But I like sandalwood more for a winter scent. I don't think it would be too strong to use the entire line as long as you skip the cologne. I'm a teacher and I'm not concerned.
I like St. James and Eton College for a warmer weather scent or a more modern scent.
A number of years ago I got some Taylor of Old Bond Street samples. I can't remember if I got them from a vendor but I think I got them from their website. Try going to their website and sending them a politely worded e-mail telling them your concerns and ask for some samples. They are very helpful.

Their shaving sticks are among the best but I didn't find them to be very long-lasting at all. The problem is that they are very soft but I'd still buy them.

Yeah Jimbo, totally agree with them not being as summery as a lot of other choices, but I found myself continuing to go back to the TOBS Sandalwood whenever I had a bad day or anything. It is what I started with so I find that I really, really enjoy it :) . Guess I'll have to order a couple of the different options, I only have one balm on my shelf so I guess I will start with that or the gel. Sounds like everyone is pretty much saying the scent doesn't linger and isn't very strong in terms of their post shave options. I guess that was really my only potential problem with trying them.

And so Wulfgar you are saying their soap is really soft compared to others? I might have to pick some of it up too since it is only like 10 bucks in a nice little wooden bowl on the old Amazon heh.

Thanks for all your help guys.

And so Wulfgar you are saying their soap is really soft compared to others? I might have to pick some of it up too since it is only like 10 bucks in a nice little wooden bowl on the old Amazon heh.

It's the stick that is really soft. I haven't tried the soap but from what I have read, it is a fairly hard soap. I might just buy that instead and face-lather with it.

Are you set on getting the Sandalwood again? You might want to try a sample of another scent if you are looking for another cream. I have tried most of them and would rate them in this order based mainly on scent since they all performed about the same for me.

Jermyn Street
Mr Taylor
Eton College
Sandalwood
St James
Avocado
Lavender
Rose

I am pretty set on getting their Sandalwood line at least for this purchase. I noticed a couple places doing samples of some of their other scents which I was thinking I might do in the near future (I have like 25 samples coming from Mama Bear so trying to hold off on the samples probably for a month lol). Can you describe the scents on those first three?

Just to give you an idea of what I have liked so far;

TOBS and Trumper's Sandalwood
Trumper's Lime
Kiss My Face the grapefruit one
C.O. Bigelow
Tabac...I have yet to shave with it but the stick smells nice and I lathered one side of my face with it when I got it and I liked the lather quite a bit (first face lather attempt).

Other scents that I don't enjoy;

Razorock XXX
anything rose
The other Trumper's scents have been either not great or just mreh for me (not worth the price tag for my taste on the other scents)
The other Kiss My Face scents...Though I haven't tried their mint one which everyone seems to rave about.

Either way, I seem to have some serious AD when it comes to soaps, creams and aftershaves lol. I don't know if I will ever be able to try enough of them lol. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have to throw up a review on the Balm and the gel when I get them.

I am terrible at describing scents, somebody help me out here. Jermyn Street is kind of a clean, soap smell, maybe a little citrus to it? Mr Taylor is a musk, barbershop smell. Eton College, I can't describe at all.

If you PM me your address I can send you a small sample of Jermyn Street and Mr Taylor if you want to try them. I don't have Eton College any more.

For a light, clean scent that doesn't overwhelm I can't recommend a better product than Mr. Taylor's cologne

Top Bottom