What's new

Another "newbie needs advice" post. . .

My first--and only--brush to date is a Savile Row 101, which I am really enjoying. Its small, 20mm knot, with a faux ivory handle. While I think its been a great "starter" brush, I'd like to upgrade to a larger knot (24-26mm?) and a better grade of hair (super or silver tip).

I like the feel of the SR101, and don't think I want a "floppy" brush head, but am starting to think a bigger brush with a longer handle would allow me to whip up better lather.

Given these "requirements," I wait anxiously for your suggestions, knowing that there is a lot of expertise out there!

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

Hmmmm. . .? I think around $100 if need be. How much do you think I need to spend to get what I want?

Mitch

If it were me, I would get one of the new Savile Row Silvertips. Simply awesome brushes, and should be a good contrast from what you have now. Try here, as well as doing some more searching - there are lots of handle offerings out there. I have a 3124 and just adore it. The knots are super-packed, so the actual size tends to run a bit bigger than the quoted knot size.

Thanks. . .though I'm hankering to try a different brand of brush--but if you think the SR is a better choice it may be worth the purchase?

Mitch

The SR silvertip to your 101 will be like a different brush. Other options would be Shavemac or Simpsons if you are looking for dense, firm shafts and soft tips. Any of these choices are perhaps a bit above the price range you are looking for, but given your criteria this is likely the correct price point.

The other option to keep the price down is to buy a used brush if you keep an eye on the various forums.

DrP will likely chime in with his encyclopedic knowledge and quasi-infinite inventory of brushes.

I'll second the vote for one of the new SR brushes, or go with a Shavemac.
It's sage advice, and the brushes are first class.

Randy

I'd go with a Savile Row as aformentioned, but if it were me - I'd get a Simpson PJ2 super - or if you can/will spend the $ a PJ3. The PJ2 is about 22-23mm, the PJ3 24-25mm, but both act a HELL of a lot bigger than they actually are, both are built like tanks, and both offer the best "comprimise" between stiffness and softness. While I have owned several models of simpson - the PJ2 is my favorite, in fact - it is my favorite shaving brush.... period.

Scotto said:
The SR silvertip to your 101 will be like a different brush. Other options would be Shavemac or Simpsons if you are looking for dense, firm shafts and soft tips. Any of these choices are perhaps a bit above the price range you are looking for, but given your criteria this is likely the correct price point.

The other option to keep the price down is to buy a used brush if you keep an eye on the various forums.

DrP will likely chime in with his encyclopedic knowledge and quasi-infinite inventory of brushes.

Mitch,

If you like the feel of your Savile Row brush then you'll only have to stick to them and look for another model:bigger handle, bigger knot in the super range.

if you want to try a different brand then i think the Simpsons in best are the way to go; but you should be prepared to pay a severely higher price; even more expensive of course are the Simpsons in super; take a look here to get an impression.

It's not easy to find a brush that fits your requierments exactly; imo THE perfect fit regarding a shaving brush doesn't exist really; it depends on your mood, wether you use soap or cream, wether it's weekend or not, wether you have one day beard growth, two or even more days, etcetera.

If you want a reliable "work horse": stick with the SR's; if you want to drive a Maserati, then go for a Simpson.

Regards. Peter

I think I've narrowed this down to 2 brushes:

Shavemac 436, $127US

Simpsons PJ2, 98 pounds ($182US?)

Comments, advice???

Mitch

Obviously you don't care about the price difference; because of appeal i would choose the Simpsons PJ2; it's a very good all purpose brush, beautiful elegant handle shape, high quality bristles and it's a Simpson!!!! What else is there to be desired......:001_smile

But if you want to save $55,- and want a no-nonsense all day multi purpose shaving brush from a high quality no nonsense brand, then go for the Shavemac....:001_smile :001_smile

Needless to say, i would personally go for both:biggrin:

Peter

mrob said:
I think I've narrowed this down to 2 brushes:

Shavemac 436, $127US

Simpsons PJ2, 98 pounds ($182US?)

Comments, advice???

Mitch

AHHHH - don't spend $182!!!!

Email or call Lee at Lee's Razors mention you are a member of B&B - and you'll get 20% off and free shipping. The price he'll give you out the door should be mighty close, if not a little cheaper than the Shavemac (after you factor in shipping from Germany).

Well. . .after several days of research and advise gathering, it looks like we have a winner in the "brush-off". . .and the winner is------------

a Simpsons PJ3 in Super. I know, I know--its more money than I said I wanted to spend, but after reading all of the glowing posts--and PMs!--extolling the virtues of the Simpsons line, I simply could not resist. Sound familiar???

This beauty is on order from Lee of Lee's Razors, and should be in mid-Michigan by mid-week. I look forward to reviewing it--I notice there are no PJ reviews on the Reviews pages to date--after a proper break in period. Can't wait.

Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance.

Mitch

The blessed event has happened! My PJ3 arrived in the mail today. Its a thing of beauty, and if I wasn't sick today I'd be fighting off the urge for a midafternoon shave just to see how it works.

Now--any advice on what to do first with a new brush? Should I soak it or wash it with something. . .or simply use it?

Thanks,
Mitch

My routine is to give new brushes a wash in Johnson's Baby Shampoo (we have lots of that around :wink: ) to de-funkify it a bit, and then I lather it up with Taylor's Avocado and rinse, for a bit of conditioning action.

Top Bottom