What's new

Found this on the bay...

I saw some other "Brooks Brothers" branded brushes in the butterscotch thread, which we supposed to be Rooney's. So when I saw this one...I put in a bid...and I won. SO, is it really a Rooney?

proxy.php

And, the funny thing is, I just ordered a new M&F Blonde Badger with this same handle style from Lee.

So, now I'll have two of this handle type. :001_smile

Just an update...

Got the brush today. The hair is super soft, listed as best badger, but feels very soft even dry. The handle is free from chips or scratches. Has a few areas of discoloration, but nothing worth worrying about. So the first thing I due is gently rub the knot to see if hairs start flying everywhere, and the knot pulled right out. With a little wiggle it came out of the handle, though the knot seems to be in great shape, possibly unused, no soapy smell, but no badger smell either, it smells like an antique shop, hairs aren't falling out...I cleaned the handle gently with a baby wipe and my fingernails, it looks great (my phone is acting up so I can't get a photo jsut yet).

But, as I said, the knot popped right out...it is only a 18 maybe 19mm knot...so I'm thinking I may drill the hole slightly deeper and set the knot a few mm lower, since the loft is probably 45 or higher (I'm guessing closer to 50, I don't have a ruler).

I saw that brush on Ebay. Nice score! I will be interested to hear how putting the knot back in works out and if it is still in good shape to be used.

I saw that brush on Ebay. Nice score! I will be interested to hear how putting the knot back in works out and if it is still in good shape to be used.

My other option is just drop some epoxy in the hole and pop the knot back in, as is...it still has the string from being hand tied and everything...but I know looking at it, I would prefer a lower loft.

I am a little apprehensive as I don't want to damage the catalin handle (or ruin it's vintage butterscotchery)

Top Bottom