What's new

Newbie needing help shaving.

Hello guys, Im 18 and I have been shaving a while, however now the dreaded problem the beard has turned from mere child stubble to a thick beard!! :scared:

I need some help, when I am shaving my blade gets clogged with hair at even the slightest stroke on my face, and i can never get all the hair out of the blade to continue, i end up using hot tissue, which takes ages and by the end of the shave my bathroom is covered in tissue, and hair and hot water.... a good start for a horror movie? :001_tongu

Please can you tell me how i clear my razor in shaving and how i clear it out after shaving as because im growing so much hair I am starting to have my blades go blunt after just 1 or 2 shaves!!

I am using a decent razor, wilkinsons sword.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly

hmmmm,, theres a ton of info. here, and alot of "pros".. i will leave it to them.

im sure guys are going to ask if
you have an adjustable, or have you tried other blades?

but,,, have you considered straight shaving?

all the cool kids are doing it!

Welcome to B&B!:thumbup1:

First of all, what razor are you using? If your beard is THAT thick, maybe you should consider using an open comb razor, or possibly a slant. These are designed with heavier beards in mind. I am sure others will give suggestions too.

Hey Hobbs!

What razor are you using? (may or may not make a difference). You can clear your razor of whisker bits and soap by opening it a bit and rinsing under a stream of hot water. If you are using a tissue to wipe the blade, you may be dulling it at the same time. Most blades recommend rinsing, not wiping, for that very reason.

If you are following the idea of beard reduction and shaving daily, the first pass should reduce the beard, not cut it off entirely. Let us know your shaving routine, and we'll either come up with a workable solution for you, or a bunch of interesting ideas, suggestions, and opinions!

Hey guys, thanks for the response, first of all i don't know what an open comb razor is and would like more info on this.

I am using a wilkinsons sword quattro razor and i shave every 2 days to stop shavers rash as much as i have sensitive skin.

But still it gets so thick that sometimes the razor is blunt after about 2 days as previously mentioned, but this may be due to the fact i rinse it with tissue, as i didn't know how to clean razor properly. cheers guys! :)

oh yeah extra information, My shaving routine, put the razor blade in hot water for 2 mins, splash hot water all around my face, put on "sensitive shaving gel", get shaving, using the blade going from the bottom to the top of my face., splash some water on the razor and try and clear it off all hair. repeat the process untill the bathroom is a mess :p

oh yeah extra information, My shaving routine, put the razor blade in hot water for 2 mins, splash hot water all around my face, put on "sensitive shaving gel", get shaving, using the blade going from the bottom to the top of my face., splash some water on the razor and try and clear it off all hair. repeat the process untill the bathroom is a mess :p

If you are shaving from the bottom, upwards, I'm guessing your first pass is "against the grain", which means you are probably removing most of your beard in that first pass. With a multiblade razor, I'm not surprised then, it's clogging. Irrespective of razor used(cartridge, double edge, straight), you should reduce your beard using one or more passes, ideally starting"with the grain". Map the growth of your beard so that you know in which direction your passes should be.

Hello Hobbs-

Wowser. I expect you're going to get a lot of advice.

Tough beard, cartridge razor, every other day shaves seems like the wrong recipe.

I'm going to suggest the following:
Start using a DE razor.
Shave every day.
Quick the gel
Get a brush and a soap that agrees with your sensitive skin.
Use a quality after-shave balm when done.

And ask lots of questions. There are plenty of folks here that will be invaluable help.

OK, you're starting with next to no knowledge of the basic skills you need.

First off, knock off the 'gel' crap, that stuff gives next to no protection. Not sure where you live, but there are lots of locally available quality products out there for cheap.
Let us know where you are and we can give some good recommendations.

Secondly, you can't just pick up a razor and hack it across your face, there are specific skills you need to learn. Read the stickies/tutorials here, watch the mantic59 and geofatboy videos on youtube, and apply those lessons to your face. With a bit of knowledge, work and practice you should find yourself getting much better shaves.

Firstly, welcome to B&B!

As you'll be beginning to gather, this forum is primarily dedicated to what we like to call 'traditional wet-shaving', which for most of us involves using an old-school double edge razor, a shaving brush and shaving soap/cream. Have a look round, have a read of the introductory articles in the Shave Wiki and the sticky thread at the top of this board, and by all means consider whether this kind of shaving appeals.

In the meantime, I'm taking the liberty of assuming that you came here initially to ask about the problem with clogging, rather than looking to completely re-think your whole shaving technique. If you want to keep using your Quattro and some kind of gel, the most straightforward advice I can think of would be to try out a few different kinds of gel - in my experience, some cause more problems in terms of gunking up razors than others.

If you're in the UK or nearby, I'd recommend the Boots Essentials Sensitive gel, which is cheap and performs, IMO, better than most. You might also get some benefit from using slightly less product, or trying to make it a bit wetter - I like to work up gel into a lather in my wet hands before applying to my face.

But I should also say that clogging is one issue where the performance of lather made with a brush from traditional soap or cream beats gel and foam hands down, and I say this as someone with more time for the canned products than a lot of people here.

I find gel is generally pretty hard to rinse out as it's not exactly water soluble, if you want to stick with your current set up if recommend canned foam as it'll rinse off in seconds. However if you want better shaves I'd recommend ditching gel, canned foam and the quattro altogether, but that's entirely up to you! Must... Resist.... Prosthelytizing!

I had the same problem with using carts that they would clog before even the first 2 inches of WTG shaving. With DE I haven't had much of a problem, if I do get some clog I loosen the razor head and flush it out with hot water before tightening it back down. Frequent rinsing is a good plan too and using a nice water soluble lather.

Welcome. As others have pointed out cart razors can clog up rather easily while DE and SE razors don't have that problem.

Top Bottom