What's new

Favorite bass rig?

On of my favorite rigs for smallies and large is a nice green plastic worm. In heavy structure a bright green or black/orange spinner bait. Often catch a nice big northern or two with the spinners as well.

This time of year the weeds seem to be an issue..some of my favorite spots are now choked up to 30 ft. out (I usually have to fish from the bank, with only occasional access to a boat.)

I've been using a worm either hooked Texas-style or as part of a weedless rig, but haven't had much luck. I was thinking of switching to one of the jigs cat4025 mentioned; they seem to have a prominent weed guard.

Any other suggestions?

The best luck I've had is using a deep diving crankbait. The hardest hits were when the bait dove deeper than the lake (i.e. 10 feet in a 8 ft. deep lake) The bait rooting around on the bottom and making a mess seems to really rile up SMB. It only works on certain waters, though. Too much junk on the bottom or too murky water and they can't see it.

The best luck I've had is using a deep diving crankbait. The hardest hits were when the bait dove deeper than the lake (i.e. 10 feet in a 8 ft. deep lake) The bait rooting around on the bottom and making a mess seems to really rile up SMB. It only works on certain waters, though. Too much junk on the bottom or too murky water and they can't see it.

Good way to lose that $10 crankbait too!!!

Good way to lose that $10 crankbait too!!!

That's why you've got to know when to use it. There's a couple of spring fed lakes nearby with silt bottoms. The fresh water flow keeps the lake pretty clear and the silt bottom means there's less likelihood of snagging. I can pull bass out of that lake with a crankbait when nothing else is hitting because it gets their attention. I would imagine it would work in rivers, too, but I've never tried it on one.

When I use my spinning rods, I love my torpedo and my poppers. I also use Texas rigs occasionally. What I like the best is flies!!!! I have caught 7+ smallmouth bass with 4 tippet and prince 16 and 18s.

Al raz.

Plastic worm, black with white spots and a white auger tail. 7" or larger with no added weight. That way it will make a big slap when it his the water, and sink nice and slow. BTW I do most of my fishing in a float tube in farm ponds.

In creeks & ponds spring through fall:
Weightless Plastic worms and flukes have been money for me in the past large and smallmouth. Some guys call it Senko or finesse rig.
Tubes are good search baits with the weight to get down to the bottom in current.
Spinners or chatterbaits when the water is murky after a rain

Wintertime -creeks - float and fly can be fun in creeks. You can catch bass in zero degree weather when the lakes and ponds are frozen.
I'm no expert but I love to catch bass.

Top Bottom