What's new

Straight razor purchase question- Did I just buy a shaving razor or a box opener?

I just bought an old Boker Straight off of Ebay. (I realize that may have been my first mistake!)
After I bid I noticed a crack near the heel of the blade. The seller was more than honest, it wasn't hidden or anything, I should have reviewed the pics better. And it wasn't really expensive.
I am afraid I have purchased a useless razor though, at least for shaving with.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120742741569&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If any of you could confirm my suspicion (or even better, give me some good news!:001_smile) it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Good grief! I just read the whole description at the bottom where he clearly point out the crack! I've got to look at this stuff before I hit "Bid". Embarrassed I am.

Last edited:
If that crack was not so close to the heel, it would be a fatal flaw. It is still pretty bad, but recoverable. Kentos is right about just grinding it away. You can't remove the crack. It is too deep. The problem is trying to sharpen or shave over the crack. The solution is to relieve the section of edge between the crack and the heel. I would use a Dremel cut-off wheel to remove material about 3mm X 6mm at the heel. That way, when you hone this, there is no discontinuity at the crack, because the crack does not reach the edge.

Attachments

• $cut-out.jpg
    $cut-out.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 102

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What they said. Get out the dremel. Be sure you don't overheat the blade. Thin steel is very succeptible to heat damage. It will probably be an enjoyable project. Don't forget your eye protection!

Thanks for all the replies! I will try the Dremel. If it works I have an odd looking razor. If I mangle it I have a $13.00 box opener. A $13 Boker box opener.

You can grind the shoulder away and take the crack with it. It's a hollowground so it would take a light touch. Member Seraphim might be someone who could accomplish the feat if you are unwilling to do it yourself. Check out http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/83296-Seraphim-Shenanagins for an idea of a shoulderless modification.
That is some very artistic work! Thanks for the link. I'm thinking using a grinding wheel to grind out a circular notch like he did on some of those might be cool. I don't see mine coming out as good looking as his. I've never done any precision work with a dremel so it will be good experience.

Top Bottom