What's new

Expiry dates on shaving products (creams, soaps etc.)

With all the fascinating creams, soaps & scents available it is often tempting to buy/ collect many different varieties. I have found that I prefer to use several different creams/scents (interchangeably) on a regular basis, choosing scents etc. depending on my mood etc. Anyway - since a tub of cream or a bar/ puck of soap lasts pretty long I have started to wonder wether or not I`m able to "use up" the product before it expires.
I`ve done some research and read that bacteria will grow more easily in tubs than in tubes (beacuse of use of fingers/ brush etc.)additionally - products with aqua listed as the first ingredient, as a rule of thumb, have shorter life spans. I`m also concerned that products without parabens (which is a quite popular marketing strategy nowadays) might have even shorter life spans (and expiry dates are rarely printed on the products). Anyway, the point is that products don`t last forever. Products which expire and in which bacteria is growing can cause skin infections etc. So now, since I like using several creams I try buying smaller tubes etc. which is less economic but better I figure. Any opinions? I think it`s pretty self evident really: If a manufacturer says that they use only natural ingredients and no parabens - natural ingredients do decompose over time.

This is true to a point, but my belief is that, just as with food products, manufacturers simply put expiry dates just to cover themselves. One has to be reasonable about it, obviously, but my experience is that expiry dates on shaving products can be exceeded without question.
Welcome to B&B, by the way!:thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B!

In my experience a cream that is aging will show some visible signs: usually separating or hardening. That is the point at which I might examine how well it's performing, and perhaps make an effort to use it up. But I wouldn't worry about bacteria unless I notice visible growths or an off scent. Of course if you choose to throw everything out after 12 months as an excuse to buy more... that's just a case of SCAD.

tubed creams kept in a dry dark place will last for years...I used 8 year old arko,just like new....your nose knows,if it is turning rancid then dump it,but don't waste time worrying about getting sick or infections from old soap/cream...it just won't happen...

As above, use by dates are just as a cover for manufacturers. Alot of things I own, apart from food, is expired and there is no change in performance or condition.

Unless it smells funky, looks funky, or is actually crawling across your bathroom benchtop by its own self-conscious power, use it :)

Unless it smells funky, looks funky, or is actually crawling across your bathroom benchtop by its own self-conscious power, use it :)

That is why I always keep a bottle of alcohol spray around. Just give that little running critter two or three direct sprays with the 70% iso-alcohol to put it down, then lather up and have at. No need to worry again...... until the next shave:lol:

It makes sense that the creams in tubes will last longer than the ones in tubs. Although, if you are conscious to not close the tub lid with extra moisture in it, you should be safe with those too. For my soft creams, I dry my brush before dipping in. For the harder creams, since there is extra water in the cream after loading the brush, I simply leave the tub open until the excess has dried then close it up again.

Similarly with soaps, I have lids on my containers - makes it easier to stack them. If I use a puck, I simply let it sit open until I get back from work to let the excess moisture dry, then close it when I get home.

This is true to a point, but my belief is that, just as with food products, manufacturers simply put expiry dates just to cover themselves. One has to be reasonable about it, obviously, but my experience is that expiry dates on shaving products can be exceeded without question.thumbup1:
+1 ... the expiry dates are there to sell more product and conform to commerce regulations. They have little to do with the longevity of the product inside.

I have only experienced one product which appears to have really expired. I have a tub of Proraso soft soap (green) which has an expiration date of '07 ... I cannot get it to lather to save my life. On the other hand, a similar tub of Proraso (white) with an expiration of '09 performs just fine.

Over the last several days, I've shaved with creams that are no less than 50 years old, both in metal tubes: Avon Lather Shaving Cream, and Palmolive USA Lather Shaving Cream. No problems to report with scent or performance. My Godrej Lime Fresh is over 2 years expired, but still works like a champ (almost finished now).

Then again, I've heard that an opened bottle of Speick splash will turn sour in a year or so. That reminds me, I should use that tonight with a liberal application.

I would expect some natural products to go rancid after a few years. I used to make my own home made soap, and the soap would start to go bad after a couple of years. This was due to the oils I used to make the soap - largely olive oil which can go bad fairly quickly on its own, and the fact I didn't use any preservatives in the soap. Most likely not a problem with most corporate type stuff, but soaps you get from mom & pop operations might have the potential to go bad after a few years.

Top Bottom