What's new

New (to me) Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip

I got it in from b/s/t; yesterday it came into my hot little hands.

I face lather exclusively when actually shaving, and that's what I bought the brush for - face lather. But I like small brushes and I knew this would be the larger than any other brush I own.

First impression, it's a much bigger brush than I'm accustomed to. Very soft. Very dense. Now I know why, when this brush is described, "dense" always comes up. One might be thrown off because looking at the numbers, compared to my Specials it's only 3mm more in knot diameter, and the same loft as my Special in Pure. But the reality is that that small increase in knot diameter makes for a big difference in the actual brush.

This AM was the first lather that counted. Worked up some VDH with it, no real test since VDH lathers so easily. I no longer have Williams in the cabinet, so VDH it had to be. I have no idea how fast this can work up lather. I wasn't at a race. I took my time since lathering is part of my prep. The brush did feel good. It worked up lots of lather, and if I wanted to hydrate it more I'd have gotten more, but I had plenty for my 2 1/2 passes plus touchups, plus face washing with the waste lather, plus plenty to go down the drain. It holds plenty of lather. Others have said that it doesn't give up it's lather, I didn't get that at all.

For me this is a big brush. It's a great face latherer, and while I'll never find out, I'd wager it would work great in a bowl. It works great for hand lathering too. For me, it's a keeper. But it's as large a brush as I'd ever want. I'll use it when it's turn comes up and enjoy it. It'll definitely give some contrast to my tiny Simpson Special Best with it's 19mm knot and 40mm loft. The Rooney 3/1 in Super Silvertip is a very nice brush, especially for those who like a face lathering brush that's on the bigger side.

From left to right, $.50 chinese brush, Semogue 1438, Simpson Special Best badger, SS Pure badger, Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip

$DSC03304.jpg

They all do a fine job, even the cheap chinese brush when I decide to "go slummin", and pick it up.

The new Rooney looks great (I have three brushes with that handle style). Enjoy using it for many fine shaves.

I'm still breaking in my 1/1, which I believe is the same knot, just different handle. It's already pretty nice with face lathering, but I'm still having some issues with getting the lather out of that darned knot and onto my face. However, it's getting a little better each time!

I'm still breaking in my 1/1, which I believe is the same knot, just different handle. It's already pretty nice with face lathering, but I'm still having some issues with getting the lather out of that darned knot and onto my face. However, it's getting a little better each time!

You surprise me! The Rooney, right from day one, has performed well for me.

I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not used to such density. I learned to lather on an edwin jagger BBB, and that thing was like a wet noodle in comparison, so I have to kind of relearn my lathering technique with this beast of a brush.

I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not used to such density. I learned to lather on an edwin jagger BBB, and that thing was like a wet noodle in comparison, so I have to kind of relearn my lathering technique with this beast of a brush.

I understand where you are coming from. The EJ BBB was my very first brush too.

I understand where you are coming from. The EJ BBB was my very first brush too.

Any tips you can offer on the transition? I'm trying to do the standard "wet the puck, dryer brush, add water as needed" kind of thing, but it just seems as if I'm not hitting the sweet spot. Is it just a matter of figuring out the right water/product ratios again, or is there a slightly different technique required for denser brushes?

Any tips you can offer on the transition? I'm trying to do the standard "wet the puck, dryer brush, add water as needed" kind of thing, but it just seems as if I'm not hitting the sweet spot. Is it just a matter of figuring out the right water/product ratios again, or is there a slightly different technique required for denser brushes?

Sounds like the usual "need to load the brush for longer" problem. I use a wet brush approach for all my soaps, soft and hard. It gets a bit messy sometimes and uses more soap per shave, but it works excellently for me. See:- badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/237128-Brush-Chronicles-9-Shavemac-177-Silvertip

Top Bottom