What's new

Trying different finish for wood scales

Well, I may be one of the few but I'm not the biggest fan of finishing with CA or epoxy...Don't get me wrong they look outstanding with those finishes. The down side is the smell from CA and the mess with epoxy. On the other hand, the down side of not finishing with them is you is I miss the high gloss you get.
So over the last few month I've been search/playing with a few different things. Most have turned out about like a thought, I nice finish but a bit on the dull side.
So this is the newest one I've tried and to be honest I'm pretty hopeful this one just might work.
I'll refrain from post what it is until I can determine if the finish will hold up and keep the semi-high gloss look.
Here are a couple of pics, so what do you think?

Attachments

• $IMG_1063.jpg
    $IMG_1063.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 133
  • $IMG_1064.jpg
    $IMG_1064.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 132
  • $IMG_1066.jpg
    $IMG_1066.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 131
I like the finish, high gloss of CA isn't always suited to all woods in my opinion. Since I'm almost exclusively using wood for my scales I'm interested in how the finish holds up. Please let us know :)

I like! The suspense is killing me, what finish did you use? I've tried various kinds of wax, bees wax, Johnson's paste wax, and candle wax, none of which looked very good. I also tried epoxy resin, but didn't get the ratio correct. Luckily it came off pretty easy, but that still leaves a nice set of purple heart scales in need of a good finish.

Well I can tell you this, for the most part its just tung oil. I used something different to finish the polishing.

Well I can tell you this, for the most part its just tung oil. I used something different to finish the polishing.
We, or at least I, am really curious!

It's true that you can go very far with just tung-oil.
Rubbed in with multiple coats of a weeks time, the results can be quite astonishing for using oil only.

Top Bottom