What's new

Shaving on holiday

I've got shaving at home covered. I'm not sure about travel.

I will have three razors in my arsenal by next week. Picking up another badger brush is a given.

I'm not sure about packing all of my products.

Even in a worst case scenerio I would just pack a can of brushless and use it as I would if it were a brush cream.

I would probably add a bottle of AS or ASB and then end the madness there.

I'm also not sure of what I'm going to do whenever I deploy. I might have to pack an M3 and a can of cream and do it like I did pre-DE.

What do you guys do when you travel? What do you bring?

Thankfully I don’t have to travel very often for work, but when I do, it’s usually a few weeks at a time. So when I pack up my travel shave kit, it’s basically just taking my home kit with me. I take my regular everyday brush, my Progress, usually will take 2 or 3 different pucks of soap, a small bottle of witch hazel and my Cornhuskers lotion and I’m good. The brush came in a tube that makes it easy to pack. My soaps are just pucks so I can just put them in a zip lock back so they don’t take up much space, my Progress came with a plastic case, so that’s easy to load as well.

I travel regularly and I just pack along the bare basics. I just take along a light DE, a tub of shave cream or a puck of soap and a travel brush. And of course something to use as an after shave, mostly I just take along a bottle of Gillette Arctic Ice after shave splash because the scent lingers on me for quite a while and it is up to travel and temperature changes. What I pack also depends on where I travel to and how I travel. Not all products like that so you might want to consider or try what a temperature change or movement does to your products. This is particularly interesting when you are flying and put your shaving gear in the main luggage. The main cabin might be pressurized but the cargo bay sure is not and turns pretty damn cold. Shaving soap doesn't have as much as a problem with this as shaving creams and an alcohol based after shave is also more resilient to cold (and up to a certain level heat).
You might also want to check Mantics video on travel and shaving.

I was thinking the same thing. My main problem would be lathering. What do you guys lather with whilst traveling, do you take your bowl/scuttle with you or just use your hand? Also I would think that a tube of cream would be easiest for travel, what do you guys think?

Alex

I'd be careful with the M3. I took mine on a week long vacation and it worked fine until day 4. Then the razor burn started back up.

I took Proraso and a cheap boar's hair brush and it lathered fine. Next time, though, I'll pack a DE.

I tried to pack too light and paid for it. Just take a soap or cream that lathers well and that you wouldn't mind using the entire trip.

Hehehehe

I'm shaving on holiday. I took with me: one Gillette 1955 Red Tip; one Gillette 1964 Slim Adjustable. Derby, Bic, Gillette blades. One Sha:biggrin: vemac #177. Tobs Sandalwood, Honeybee Strawberry, Proraso SC. Nivea AS. D&G pour homme. Polo Sport. No compromise....

If I had to travel, and I had to travel light... I'd give up the soap/cream before the DE. Maybe a travel can of Barbasol Sensitive, or a can of Gillette Foamy Aloe and Allantoin (because I'd imagine travel shaving could be harder on your face), if you can't figure out how to pack all that stuff into a travel bag. I know some have the "can goo" reputation of just some propellants, water, and high-tech surfactants, but some actually have some good stuff in them, and it certainly simplifies what you have to carry around.

Kiss My Face and Tom's of Maine both can be lathered easily with your hand. There's also a shave stick but they are harder to find.

Slant razor (smallest razor I have)
Any choice of blades
C&E Travel brush
tube trumpers cream (metal tube, gets compact as empties)
trumpers skin food (useful during shave, as post shave moisturiser, and has a scent too)
alum block (just in case)

I've traveled a little bit with my rig and usually end up taking more than I need, but here is what I normally take:

Progress or British Rocket in Merkur soft case
Gillette and Derby blades
badger brush in travel tube from Em's Place
T&H preshave oil (really small bottle)
tube of cream (either Proraso or Musgo or possibly AOS Lavender)
styptic pencil (just in case)
Musgo Real AS splash (has alcohol and witch hazel - so I don't need to bring extra)
EDT
Moisturizer if needed

And it all fits in my Dopp kit.

I was thinking that those little tubs Jim (Vintage Blades, LLC) sends filled with cream samples would be perfect for travel. Does anyone know where to get those (if ordering bunches of shaving stuff just to get the sample containers is not presumeably an option)?

I have several small plastic lip balm containers that I decant any creams/gels/ASB's into etc. Then I have an atomizer for my Cologne.

I like to avoid having to check baggage whenever possible when I fly. The trouble with using a DE razor when flying is that airport security won't let you carry on DE blades. As a result, I pack a Gillette Mach3, alum block and a Simpson Major Silvertip badger shaving brush in my Dopp Kit. I also put a travel size tube of Shaving Cream (right now it's DR Harris Almond), a travel size bottle of Clinique Post Shave Healer and some samples of cologne in the 1 quart baggie they allow.

Musgo Real cream & AS, Bonsa 5/8 hollow, paddle strop plain on one side, green paste (Chromium) on the other. A cheap boar brush if there's room.
If it's just for 2 or 3 days, I take enough razors, pre-stropped, to last me. Depends what would take up the most room.
When hiking, I put the AS in a 10ml bottle, carry a nearly empty tube of cream, and strop with the palm of my hand. I pack the wash kit in an ice cream tub which doubles as a handy basin when up a hill in Lancashire. Cold water does work (just) if you spend a while massaging the lather in.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. My main problem would be lathering. What do you guys lather with whilst traveling, do you take your bowl/scuttle with you or just use your hand? Also I would think that a tube of cream would be easiest for travel, what do you guys think?

Alex

For me, my Simpson Major is essential. I love it. And throw in a tub of Mama Bear, and I am good to go. There is enough room in the tub to lather with a Major with ease, and the plastic tub doesn't break, come open, or bother the metal detectors.

My last trip I took a 48-49 Super Speed, EJ Travel Brush and a tube of Palmolive. Washed face and put a little of the Palmolive on my face and then lathered.

Top Bottom