What's new

1st shave with SE....and WOW!

Just shaved for the first time with my new GEM Junior that I picked up off the BST.

The shave was incredibly comfortable, and since it was my first shave, they're only going to get better.
The shave was noticibly more comfortable than my shaves with my red tip ss, slim, and merkur 23c. A little bit closer to.

The only problem I have is that I used Gem Blue Star's. The blade cut very smoothly and close, but even after I dried it off after use, there was a big line of rust that had already formed. Should I not be wetting the razor before use, or is a little rusting just fine?

Excited to continue SE Shaving! and Please some advice on the blade issue! :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

The shave was noticibly more comfortable than my shaves with my red tip ss, slim, and merkur 23c. A little bit closer to.

This makes me really excited for my OCMM to get here, hopefully Monday. My first and only razor right now is a Red Tip and I am pretty happy with it.

Edit: Tuesday. Happy 4th.

Last edited:
This makes me really excited for my OCMM to get here, hopefully Monday. My first and only razor right now is a Red Tip and I am pretty happy with it.

Please let me know how the OCMM works out for you, and if your results were as good as mine!

The Gems are great razors. As for the blue star blades this happens because they are carbon steel. I can only get two shaves out of them. One thing you could try is before using the blade use a Q-tip and rub some baby oil over the blade. This will minimize the rust line or spots.

... and Please some advice on the blade issue! :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile
The Gem Blue Star's (carbon steel) are known for being bad about rusting, quickly.
I've seen Blue Stars rust up in their packaging, even.
Other brands of carbon steel blades (Pal, Treet, CVS, etc) are not as bad as the Blue Stars when it comes to rusting.
I prefer the stainless steel blades for everyday use.

Places to look for Single Edge shaving blades:

• Walgreen's for Gem Stainless Steel blades in the shaving section.
  • CVS carries carbon steel blades.
  • Rite-Aid carries Treet brand carbon steel blades.
I use the Gem SS blades the most and I can get about 4 shaves (3 pass plus touch up) with these.
I think the Treet blades from Rite-Aid are sharper but I can only get about 2 shaves with these.
I have never tried the CVS blades.

If you discover you like the SS blades from Walgreen's, you can order a bunch from one of our vendors: razorbladesandmore.com

But if mine have already rusted a little bit after their first use, does that mean they're unusable? Or can I get one or two more shaves out of them?

But if mine have already rusted a little bit after their first use, does that mean they're unusable? Or can I get one or two more shaves out of them?

I use the Blue Stars and for some reason mine don't rust that quickly, and I do take them out immediately after I'm done and dry them thoroughly and store in an airtight container. If the rust is just on the sides and not on the bevelled edge it shouldn't be a problem.

The stainless PTFE coated ones are the best to use. They don't rust. You can order them from EMS or Ted Pella or wait for another SE blade group buy. There's bound to be one!

I put a drop or 2 of the wifes Skin So Soft on them when I load them and it keeps rust at bay, from the CVS/Rite-Aid ones anyway. I didn't do that this last razor and it rusted in a day. I didn't wipe anything, just drops.

Last edited:

Edit: Tuesday. Happy 4th.

Please let me know how the OCMM works out for you, and if your results were as good as mine!

I had my first SE shave with an OCMM and wow. I was not ready for it. Even though I tried to use zero pressure, I ended up with a good amount of weepers and irritation on the neck. Aside from that, the shave was fantastic. I need some more practice with it, but I think it will be a good shaver once I can tame it.

Good luck with your OCMM.

Enjoy it.

I had my first shave today with a SE (OCMM) it gives a great shave. blade angel definitely goes a long way, glad i read up on it so much before going for a SE. had one small nick but i think once i get used to it i'll be getting alot more great shaves out of it.

It's a PITA many don't want to put up with but if you remove the blade and dry it thoroughly, carbon blades won't rust. If you happen to be wearing a pair of jeans you can ensure your edge is clean and dry and give it a decent 'stropping' all in one go with a few swipes up and down the thigh. I'm a big fan of carbon over SS both for sharpness, smoothness, and price so I don't mind the blade maintenance thing. Of course YMMV, but I can get 4 really nice shaves from a Treet.

Last edited:
In my experience compared to a Treet, a Blue Star is almost as rust proof as a piece of glass. Seriously... The treets I have used have been bad in that regard.

I had my first SE shave with an OCMM and wow. I was not ready for it. Even though I tried to use zero pressure, I ended up with a good amount of weepers and irritation on the neck. Aside from that, the shave was fantastic. I need some more practice with it, but I think it will be a good shaver once I can tame it.

Good luck with your OCMM.

Enjoy it.

Just got mine in the mail today. Opened it up and popped a blade in there and DANG that is a lot of blade exposure/gap:mellow:...I double checked to make sure the edge is seated under the notches.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous about trying this one out. I usually shave between class and work around 11 am but I might have to give this one ago tonight or possibly wait until a day off just in case I peel my face like a potato.

Top Bottom