What's new

First Straight Razor Self Shave by 30 Year DE'er

Had been thinking about it for years. Finally took the plunge. I know the recommended route is to buy an inexpensive, used blade and go from there. I went the other way and bought a Hart 6/8 after a lot of research and forum lurking. Anyway, first shave today: Duke 2 and DR Harris Cream. Gently wiped the storage oil off the blade. Didn't strop, bc was advised the steel was "shave ready," and it seemed so. Anyway, two passes and, while I was a bit nervous and unsure of myself, got a great shave. Third pass I did use the Merkur slant bar DE on the trickier crannie type areas, but I think getting those with the straight will come with time. I was a bit surprised that the blade didn't seem as "slippery" as I expected while shaving. Maybe my angles need work. Anyway, I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment.

Any advise or tips would also be much appreciated.

Well done, that sounds like a great first experience. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't feel "slippery". I have quite a dense beard and I've never really had that sensation with either straights, DE's or any other shaving medium.

Getting the tricky parts of your face will come with time, don't sweat it, looks like your off to a great start. Experiment with angles and the pieces will start falling into place.

Thanks. I'm really quite OK with taking the necessary time to "develop" the skillset over time. For me, that's really the attractive part of it. :) And, thanks for your post. BTW, the slant bar was "slidey" on the face as usual with that prep combo. I just had this notion that somehow the straight would glide like it was on well greased Campy bearings or something, so now that I understand the sensation better, I can adjust my technique accordingly. Also, I probably should have stropped the thing, anyway. Which I will do prior to tomorrow's practice!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Congrats on the first shave...Hart's are nice...vintages are too so keep an eye out for them in the wild.

I have noticed that the lather for straights need to be a bit more "watery" than DE lather, for lack of a better term. A Santa Claus beard of foam isn't needed, and may very well weigh down the blade as it gets between your face and blade on lower angle passes. You will have to experiment for sure to find your sweet spot, but an ideal lather for me will rinse off the blade instantly under the faucet, as opposed to clinging tenaciously to the blade.
The Hart is a heavy ground razor, and while my wedges will shave me just as well and I love them, something about a 6/8 or larger full hollow blade gives me that "velvet squeegee" effect. I don't own a quarter hollow razor, so a Hart may give that feel too.

Sounds like a great first straight shave! No matter how sharp a straight is, it will not feel that way for the first shaves, it takes some time to develop the right technique. Welcome!

Great start, two passes on your first time out is impressive. sounds like your mind set is where is has to be for this new discipline you have chosen. time and practice are the only things that work. no substitute.

Ian

Feels great, doesn't it? I started with a straight not long ago, and I've been surprised with how quickly I've been able to progress. When I use my DE now, it feels like a toy.

I agree completely with Kentos' suggestion of a more slippery lather. I find it helps my DE shaving, too.

Congrats on the first shave...Hart's are nice...vintages are too so keep an eye out for them in the wild.

I have noticed that the lather for straights need to be a bit more "watery" than DE lather, for lack of a better term. A Santa Claus beard of foam isn't needed, and may very well weigh down the blade as it gets between your face and blade on lower angle passes. You will have to experiment for sure to find your sweet spot, but an ideal lather for me will rinse off the blade instantly under the faucet, as opposed to clinging tenaciously to the blade.
The Hart is a heavy ground razor, and while my wedges will shave me just as well and I love them, something about a 6/8 or larger full hollow blade gives me that "velvet squeegee" effect. I don't own a quarter hollow razor, so a Hart may give that feel too.

Sounds like you got off to a flying start, well done! I can really relate to the above quote on the subject of lather and lately I have managed to consistently make straight razor worthy lather by using Marco's tutorial for lathering italian soft soaps which you will find in the soap forum stickies. The essence of this method is to use lots of water. In the beginning I used to like plastering my face with thick lather (à la Arko wrapping) but I soon came to realize that it was counterproductive because the razor seems to drag through it. Good Luck!

Thank you all, much! I am really enjoying the move up and the new challenge of this. Again, I just hope now I can competently strop the blade without detuning it as I continue. :)

Day 2: A little better than Day 1. Three passes, a minor nick only in that cleft under lower lip. Less for finishing up with DE. Feeling like this takes enough focus and concentration to make it meditative. And looming forward to more.

Top Bottom