What's new

Safety Razor of the Month - 50/60/70's Superspeed - July 2011

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Last month we talked about the 40's style SuperSpeeds. This month we will keep the SuperSpeed conversation going with the Flare Tips.

50's Style - A richer knurled handle and a flair tip introduced in 1954 (Z date code). Also known as the medium.

proxy.php

The 50's style also comes in a more aggressive model called the Red Tip or Heavy.

proxy.php

And a more mild version called the Blue Tip or light which had an aluminum handle.

proxy.php

There were a couple of design variations of the Blue Tip. Does anyone have pictures of them to show the difference?

Another very special variation of the 50's style Super Speed was the 1958 TV Special which was released as another promotion for the American television show, The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. Note the vertical knurling as opposed to the "checkered" or bi-lateral knurling of the standard 50's style.

proxy.php

60's Style - Note the lack of horizontal grooves on the TTO knob and the slight difference in general knurling from the 50's version. Also note the lower profile head.

proxy.php

And finally, the black handle Super Speed. It is lighter weight and delivers a very mild shave. These were produced in the 1970's into the 80's. These also had some variations in design. We want to see those pictures.

proxy.php

Next month we will finish up the SuperSpeeds by looking at the Rockets, the Lady Gillette's and whatever else we may have missed in the SS line.

We would like to thank AsylumGuido and Achim "Mr. Razor" for pictures and some of the information included in this thread.

So without further ado folks let's see what is in your dens for Flare Tip Super Speeds.
Show us the differences in the Cases you have, the Blade Packs that came with them, and the Instructions for the Razor if you have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a couple that you rarely see that were sold in Argentina and Brazil respectively.

Gold plated Flare Tip made in US for the Argentinian market from 1960.
proxy.php

Brazilian made Monotech from 1970.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Some other Super Speeds that are seldom seen are the British versions that, like the US models, came in Regular, Blue Tip, and Red Tip flavors. Currently, I only have a Red Tip which looks identical to the US version, but does have some slight differences when viewed more closely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A group shot of the three versions available in the 1950's.

proxy.php

A 1965 model. This case style arrived in the late 1950's/early 1960's, and was used (I'm guessing) until sometime in the early or mid 1970's.

proxy.php

Side-by-side of 1955 and 1965 models. Note the changes in handle design and the head profile differences that were mentioned earlier. Also, Gillette began using end plates like their British models instead of end caps (although I'm not sure when that change took place).

proxy.php

proxy.php

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That is great stuff ras. Thanks for all of those pics. I better get some up tomorrow.

I just realized i have some of these from years ago, it's only since joining the B&B that i realized that razors have names dates model numbers years and so on, phew!! before the internet i just went into a store wherever and looked at razors, if i liked it I would buy , not knowing all the technical jargon, all i knew was i like that so i bought it..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I just realized i have some of these from years ago, it's only since joining the B&B that i realized that razors have names dates model numbers years and so on, phew!! before the internet i just went into a store wherever and looked at razors, if i liked it I would buy , not knowing all the technical jargon, all i knew was i like that so i bought it..

proxy.php

I love this macro shot of the tip!

-jim

Thanks Jim, question is how can i find out exactly what year and model it is ?I have a gazzillion razors that i have no clue what they are called or the years they where made.

The flare tips are all date coded. Yours will likely be a '50s-era model -- they dropped the lateral grooves in the TTO knob in the later ones.

Edit: Space cadet that I am, I skimmed right over the pic you posted of the underside of the head. It's a D-1, so first quarter of 1958.

Last edited:
The flare tips are all date coded. Yours will likely be a '50s-era model -- they dropped the lateral grooves in the TTO knob in the later ones.

Edit: Space cadet that I am, I skimmed right over the pic you posted of the underside of the head. It's a D-1, so first quarter of 1958.

Thank you MacDaddy, you guys know your stuff, like I said before I'll, buy a razor because i like/liked it at the time, not knowing what it really was, apart from gillette/ or whomever the makers name is.

Thanks to everyone for their posts and pictures. These are some really outstanding photo's and commentaries. BTW....I Still have my 1955 Red Tip and 1947 Aristocrat in my regular rotation. Some razors just can't be improved and this is surely true with the vintage Gillette razors of the past.

Some other Super Speeds that are seldom seen are the British versions that, like the US models, came in Regular, Blue Tip, and Red Tip flavors. Currently, I only have a Red Tip which looks identical to the US version, but does have some slight differences when viewed more closely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Brit looks like it's a bit more aggressive than it's American counterpart. Have you used both? Can you confirm?

I never realized until seeing this that the Brits and American models where different, I just thought they where all made under license under the same pattern. seeing just the end caps alone is an eye opener for recognizing the differences.

Top Bottom