What's new

Coconut Oil

I was going to buy some Proraso and found it contains coconut oil, which I'm allergic to...do many of the shaving soaps contain nut oils? What about Conk's Bay Rum?

Thanks.

if you are allergic to coconut oil you are pretty much out of luck. It's nearly ubiquitous in soaps as it has a nice quality of making soap easy to lather that isn't found in any other oil. You'd have to look pretty hard to find a soap without it. I believe this question was asked a couple months ago so you might search for that thread. The oil is saponified so you might not have a problem with it. Do you use any bar soaps for regular washing? those contain coconut oil too usually, so if you are fine with those then you should be ok with a shaving soap...

Thanks for the tip. I did a search for ingredients in the soaps I use and found that none of them contain coconut oil. (Ivory, Irish Spring, Dove and Old Spice Matterhorn) In fact, from what I see listed few of the mass produced soaps I've listed sound they sound like very few natural ingredients are used. I guess I got lucky but it's good to know for future reference. Potassium Cocoate seems to be made from coconuts and that's in pretty much everything.

On another forum I found that Plisson Matin Ambré, Floris Elite, Durance L’òme, D.R.Harris Arlington, C&E Sienna, C&E Nomad and Trumper Limes soaps seem to be made with other oils but not coconut or potassium cocoate.

Found the thread.

thanks.

Last edited:
Ivory and Irish Spring both have sodium cocoate and the latter has coconut acid, so you might well be ok with saponified coconut derivatives. Bear in mind that where soaps list fatty acids as ingredients - like stearic and myristic acids, for instance (or alternatively sodium/potassium stearate), there's not really any certain way of knowing what they were derived from.

Thanks Davros for the education.

I've been looking around the net at different ingredients used in shaving soap and found the stuff I have used for years (the blue bowl from Wilkinsons) contains coconut products. I'll pick up some Proraso and use it on my arm to see if I have a reaction but it looks like I'm safe.

Thanks again for the help.

g

Last edited:
I wish you well. I have heard from many sources that nut allergies can be very deadly, I recommend caution here. In large US cities, schools have actually set up nut-free sections in their school cafeterias and one local kindergarten is actually a nut-free school because of this. Please proceed cautiously, we want you to be able to post for years to come.

I wish you well. I have heard from many sources that nut allergies can be very deadly, I recommend caution here. In large US cities, schools have actually set up nut-free sections in their school cafeterias and one local kindergarten is actually a nut-free school because of this. Please proceed cautiously, we want you to be able to post for years to come.

Not to belittle people with serious allergies to things but nut allergy hysteria is getting out of hand. an allergy is an allergy, nuts aren't any more dangerous than strawberries or bee stings. the actual number of people who have a serious allergy to nuts is miniscule, they just have some really good PR.

http://www.salon.com/news/environment/vital_signs/2009/02/05/peanut_allergy

Also, coconuts and peanuts are not nuts they are just referred to as such. so if you have a tree nut allergy you shouldn't have problems eating peanuts or coconuts.

Not to belittle people with serious allergies to things...

Good, I'm happy you didn't do that.

To the mods, this thread has serviced its purpose, feel free to lock it.

g
PS: a coconut is a [video]http://www.foodallergy.org/page/tree-nut-allergy[/video].

Not a mod here. And mods aren't lap dogs. Threads aren't just for one person. Once posted they enter the public domain.

The subject is for others to chew and regurgitate. If you choose to not particpate, OK, then don't participate. But you started the thread and the discussion was completely gentlemanly.

Gurnall-You may want to contact one of our resident soap makers for specifics about their ingredients. They have some excellent products and are very accessible to their customers.

Not to belittle people with serious allergies to things but nut allergy hysteria is getting out of hand. an allergy is an allergy, nuts aren't any more dangerous than strawberries or bee stings. the actual number of people who have a serious allergy to nuts is miniscule, they just have some really good PR.

My son has peanut allergies (and many others). If you were there when, as a baby, he touched (he did not eat it) peanut butter and got swollen like a balloon, maybe you would think differently. (If he had eaten it, it would be in his body for a while, making it even worse.)

Yes, it is "just" an allergy, but for those who have it, it is very important to be aware of what has been in touch with whatever you are highly allergic to. Some people are allergic to peanuts and other nuts, and the OP was just looking out for his own health.

My son has peanut allergies (and many others). If you were there when, as a baby, he touched (he did not eat it) peanut butter and got swollen like a balloon, maybe you would think differently. (If he had eaten it, it would be in his body for a while, making it even worse.)

Yes, it is "just" an allergy, but for those who have it, it is very important to be aware of what has been in touch with whatever you are highly allergic to. Some people are allergic to peanuts and other nuts, and the OP was just looking out for his own health.

The comment was not directed at the OP, if you read my first post I advised him that it'd be hard to find soap without coconut oil in it and he had most likely already been using a coconut oil product so he might be ok using them. my comment was regarding the hysteria surrounding peanut allergies. Peanut allergies are no more serious than any other allergy yet there is this huge movement to ban peanuts from public spaces. Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic complication that can occur in ANY allergy. Food allergies are way less common than allergies to mold, dust, animal dander. Further, peanut allergies are not even the most common type of food allergy, twice as many people are allergic to shellfish than to all nut and peanut allergies combined...yet you don't see people trying to ban seafood from schools. Also you'd have to eat or handle peanuts to have a reaction which you can generally avoid, but how do you escape from pollen or mold? They don't hepafilter the air in libraries to help out mold allergy sufferers.
I'm not saying that its no big deal to have a serious nut allergy, it sucks and i feel for your son. I'm just really annoyed by this big lobbying movement, falsely inflating the danger of one specific allergy and legislating that people cater to a very small group of people.

The comment was not directed at the OP, if you read my first post I advised him that it'd be hard to find soap without coconut oil in it and he had most likely already been using a coconut oil product so he might be ok using them.

You have to admit, that when you come to a question about allergies (and post something which offers no help) in a forum which is not about health or allergies, it does seem directed at the OP. I understand that that might not have been your intention, but I hope you might see how it make have been taken that way.

Also, I am not sure where you are getting your numbers... Personally, I don't think we can give too much weight to Internet sources, but you seem to be wrong:

http://www.aaaai.org/media/statistics/allergy-statistics.asp: scroll to food allergies and you will see that more people are allergic to peanuts AND nuts (together -- but notice that it is mentioned that they often come together) than to shellfish. And if you ever look (or have to look) everywhere for allergens, you will see how it is very common, much more than seafood. (My son is also allergic to it too.)

Moreover, from your own article:

Allergic reactions to tree nuts are among the leading causes of fatal and near-fatal reactions to foods.

(Emphasis mine.) So, I hope it is indeed taken seriously, along with the other leading causes.

Food allergies are way less common than allergies to mold, dust, animal dander.

Are most of those also life threatening? The number can be larger, but it only makes you sneeze, runny nose, etc., it should not be considered as serious. (I know a few people like that, and I know how annoying and harmful it can be. I am allergic to pollen.) But, maybe I am wrong and more people have life threatening reaction to those than I assume. Please, correct me (please, give references) if I am mistaken.

On the other hand, your first post was indeed informative and helpful. I apologize if I steered this thread into a flame war. It was not my intention.

I guess my question would be that if you are allergic to coconut oil, does that make you allergic to SAPONIFIED coconut oil?

I don't know the answer, but I think it might be possible that the allergy might be specific to the oil itself. If that were the case, then you'd still have to make sure that the soaps weren't superfatted with coconut oil (i.e., make sure that all the coconut oil in the soap was saponfied.

Top Bottom