What's new

Several of my Grandpa's old old razor stones...

Hey guys, turns out my Uncle kept his dad's razors and hones from several decades ago when he died...the razors were kept in such a safe place that they are now lost :sad: , but the hones are still around...in fact, they are right here! Anyway, some are smoother than others, and I'm just wondering if you can offer any more info than I can provide below, especially this huge half-rounded behemoth. All feel oily, so I'm at least going to say they were used as oilstones, one of them actually saying oilstone on it. Pics to follow, one at a time, starting with the big dude.

BTW, once oiled, always oil it?

Krodor

Last edited:
So this massive thing is fairly oily, and is like a half-cylinder, but would be an oval vs. a circle in cross-section. Quite heavy and is fairly rough. There is a "120" deeply scribed into one end, which seems appropriate-ish for the grit on it. I was thinking it would be used as a lapping stone for other hones, but the base of it is nowhere close to flat enough for that. What's it for? The top rounded parts seem like they might have been used in the past for something as they have more-flattened areas, but I'd doubt for sharpening a razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

in today's parlance, anyone wanna make a stab as to what "medium fine edge" means? maybe a 1000 grit? it says for carpentry and general woodworking...I'm going to assume NOT using it on a razor without some heavy lapping and personal experience.

proxy.php

proxy.php

certainly needs lapping.

this one's dark side is smoothest of the bunch....anyone know of a honemaker from Marinette Wisconsin?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last one...it's a little stubby two-sider that is quite rough...again, serious lapping needed.

proxy.php

smoother side only..the rough one is all chunked-up

proxy.php

The Washita is an oil stone, and fairly low grit. I have a Lily White Washita, and it's around 320 grit. I have it lapped and use it to do heavy lifting on rough edges (pre bevel setting). Mine doesn't chip the edge of the razor, which is nice. It doesn't cut all that fast compared to a diamond plate at a much higher grit, but it didn't cost much either.
You are correct on the barber's hone.
I think the Marinette is a combination barber's hone, with a lower and higher grit.
The oblong one may be used to sharpen axes or something... I don't know. Not sure on the other one either.

Legion

Staff member
I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark on the first one (because it is weird, and I've never seen one before).

Could it be for sharpening the inside edge of a curved blade, like a sickle or a scythe?

I was thinking it was a horseshoe sharpener. That does not make any sense, though. Your guess is better than mine.

this one's dark side is smoothest of the bunch....anyone know of a honemaker from Marinette Wisconsin?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

There were only a few synthetic hone manufacturers in the US and almost all barber's hones were re-branded stones. This is one of those probably made by The American Hone Co. for

Aerial Cutlery Mfg. Co.
Marinette, Wisconsin

Top Bottom