What's new

Canned Goo - Your views please

I know that many of you feel that canned goo is a definite "no-no", but I have to be honest with you guys, and it pains me to say it, that I get a better shave with foam or gel than with a traditional cream. Mainly the reason for this is I find that all the creams that I've tried really dry my face out, both during my shave and afterwards (no matter how much moisturiser I use post shave) :cursing:
The canned goo that I have found to be the best for me is "Original Source - Tea Tree and Mint". As it feels really fresh and tingley when shaving and doesn't irritate.
Would love to hear if others have experienced something similar or could recommend a cream that will stay slick and has good moisturising qualities. The ones I have tried are: Palmolive Soap Stick, Taylors of Old Bond St (Sandalwood) and Erasmic.
Cheers guys :001_smile

In my experience, canned goo was inferior...some more than others. Back when I used a Mach 3 and goo, I couldn't use any gillette goo product...rough and constant skipping. I had better luck with KoS and Edge products. That being said, with any of the aforementioned combos, I was completely unable to shave 2 days in a row without getting a lot of burn and irritation.

I haven't tried a goo since getting into traditional shaving.

The last of the stuff from a can that I used was Edge gel,that's the only thing from a can that would let me get a decent shave,I have pretty sensitive skin.I was concerned about wet shaving but I've been using a soap with aloe in it and have had no problems at all,I get a much closer shave with that and a DE than I've had in years with a cart and canned goo!!

I have never tried the canned stuff, I seen it for sale all the time in grocery stores over the years and have often wondered about it, but i guess I'm a creature of habit and just use soap in the bowl.

I just only this week actually bought a cream called Headblade Headslick (I shave my noggin) 8 ounce bottle 100 shaves apparently , Main reason i bought the stuff, and I just got this other cream called Men-U concentrate, I like the stuff is lathers up very nice, bought the tiny tubes for travel, they say you can get 20 shaves out of the tube.

With good prep and technique, a lot of them are just fine. IMO gels generally perform better than foams. The biggest drawback with the gels is if they have a scent, they usually seem to smell like some kind of bathroom cleaner.

Similar experiences with most here. The canned stuff will work, but I have always found it to lead to irritation and dryness. I've used a lot of the canned foam/gels, and the only one I found that I didn't outright dislike is Barbasol. Many - gels especially - seem to have very chemical-like scents and almost seemed to numb my face. I have never thought twice after I discovered shaving soaps!

I find Provence Sante and Insititut Karite to be very moisturizing. You might try Mitchells Wool Fat, but it can be tricky to lather. Speaking of that, are you sure you have enough water in your lather? Try adding a little more. One good trick is to make a practice lather and then add water to it, a little at a time, until it falls apart. That will give you a good idea of how wet you can make it.

"GOO-gone".........haven't used it since starting DE/wet shaving in November. When I did use it though (not knowing any better), it was OK at best.

I stopped using the canned goo about 10 years ago.Actually the goo dried my face out. I found Body Shop shaving cream and it was just wonderful. Just a little bit and it delivered gobs of wonderful foam.
My whole family converted..Wife,daughter, and son.
Of course in those days I used cartridges and it worked just fine. Then I got tired of paying the crazy hi cart prices and in searching for an alternative happened upon DE shaving and this website. When I was a teenager and starting to shave I used a DE razor, so going back was kind of nostalgic.
Still used TBS crean for awhile, but then learned about all the alternatives from B&B as to soaps and creams.
I enjoy as many people here do making a special thing out of a daily task.
So YMMV. If the canned stuff works for you go for it. Keep in mind there are lots of wonderful creams and soaps out there aside from the few you mentioned.

I know that many of you feel that canned goo is a definite "no-no", but I have to be honest with you guys, and it pains me to say it
Why? Use what works for you. There's a reason why YMMV is so prevalent here.

Hopefully you'll get some good suggestions on soaps and creams that don't dry out your face. The list you've tried is certainly very far from exhaustive.

I haven't gone back to the canned stuff since I started DE. It would be an interesting experiment. I was certainly unhappy with the Mach 3 + Goo performance that I was getting, but I never tried to pinpoint which was the worst offender for razor burn.

I used to use Barbasol when I could. I know that Proraso makes a goo in a can, but I've never tried it.
I don't like the gels. I think the technique you learn here should be good with any goo.

Aveeno gel is pretty nice. I used to use it before I started using soaps and traditional creams. KoS gel is slick and won't dry your face out; it's a non-lathering gel, so it stays clear-ish on your face. Very slick.

I find Provence Sante and Insititut Karite to be very moisturizing. You might try Mitchells Wool Fat, but it can be tricky to lather. Speaking of that, are you sure you have enough water in your lather? Try adding a little more. One good trick is to make a practice lather and then add water to it, a little at a time, until it falls apart. That will give you a good idea of how wet you can make it.

+1. My first thought was that you are not using enough water. You need to improve your lathering skills before you realize that soap/cream and a brush are superior to anything that comes in a can.

Top Bottom