What's new

Art of Shaving Sandalwood edt v. Saint Charles Shave Sandalwood edt

I really like the scent of the AOS Sandalwood balm (got a small sample bottle free from one of their reps) and was considering a bottle of the edt, but at $70, it seems like a lot for what it is. I currently have the Saint Charles Shave Sandalwood edt, which I also like.

Anybody tried both the SCS and AOS sandalwood edts and could compare? Anyone able to comment on the scent of the AOS sandalwood edt vs. the balm? Just wondering whether it's worth springing for the AOS at some point.

Thanks

I love the AoS and SCS sandalwood EdT. The SCS is more sweet and creamy while the AoS is more medicinal and potent. IMO the AoS sandalwood scent is the same across the entire product line so if you love the balm you will probably love the EdT.

I love the AoS and SCS sandalwood EdT. The SCS is more sweet and creamy while the AoS is more medicinal and potent. IMO the AoS sandalwood scent is the same across the entire product line so if you love the balm you will probably love the EdT.

Thanks for the data point. I notice enough of a difference between the AOS balm and SCS and like the balm frag enough that I'll probably try a decant of the AOS.

Thanks for the data point. I notice enough of a difference between the AOS balm and SCS and like the balm frag enough that I'll probably try a decant of the AOS.

A decant is always a great idea. The AoS EdT is amazing stuff but I find very limited situations where I am comfortable wearing it due to it's potency. It pounds on my skin for a solid 2 hours before starting to mellow. I would never wear this scent to work or an intimate gathering. A large outdoor party would be ideal for it IMO. The SCS Sandalwood on the other hand I can wear on all occasions and be perfectly comfortable knowing that if anyone smells it that it won't overpower.

A decant is always a great idea. The AoS EdT is amazing stuff but I find very limited situations where I am comfortable wearing it due to it's potency. It pounds on my skin for a solid 2 hours before starting to mellow. I would never wear this scent to work or an intimate gathering. A large outdoor party would be ideal for it IMO. The SCS Sandalwood on the other hand I can wear on all occasions and be perfectly comfortable knowing that if anyone smells it that it won't overpower.

I understand what you mean. Even the scent of the balm hangs around for quite a while. I just picked up a 2 ml decant from Mudassir, so I should be all set. Thanks everyone for the insights.

I own both. SCS is very linear, somewhat creamy. AOS starts with a eucalyptus opening and dries down to the same sandalwood scent across the line. I prefer AOS. For sandalwood though, you might want to get a sample of MPG Santal Noble. It is "the" sandalwood scent IMHO. Some will say Tam Dao, but I get more cedar with that.

I love the AOS Sandalwood soap's smell. It is very, very light. How potent is the cologne?

I think that you'll find that the EdT really picks up the scent of the soap. It opens with the light medicinal tang of eucalyptus. Along with that is the warm, creamy scent of sandalwood that you already know from the soap. It lasts for a couple of hours on me, but I can notice it close to the skin beyond that. Harvitz81 recommends MPG Santal Noble which is more complex, and there's also Villoresi's Sandalo, which I actually prefer to the MPG. And, of course, Tam Dao. But, for my money, the nicest of all of the ones I've tried is the AoS. I certainly like it best.

If the SCS sandalwood you are referring to is the limited edition from wood, I would say you won't find a better pure sandalwood EDT anywhere at any price.

MPG for sure, but this thread is really an AoS vs. SCS. AoS wins easily. Agree with Nid Hog. The "medicinal" smell that some get off of the top is eucalyptus which fades and dries down to what I feel is a more soft sandalwood similar to the cream. It doesn't have the "earthy" clay note that you find in the soap. It's closer to the cream in scent in the dry down IMO.

I give up as to why the SCS Sandalwood is so popular aside from it being cheap.

I own both. SCS is very linear, somewhat creamy. AOS starts with a eucalyptus opening and dries down to the same sandalwood scent across the line. I prefer AOS. For sandalwood though, you might want to get a sample of MPG Santal Noble. It is "the" sandalwood scent IMHO. Some will say Tam Dao, but I get more cedar with that.

Thanks. I do have the MPG and Tam Dao, so I'll give them some comparative runs when my AOS sample arrives.

I think that you'll find that the EdT really picks up the scent of the soap. It opens with the light medicinal tang of eucalyptus. Along with that is the warm, creamy scent of sandalwood that you already know from the soap. It lasts for a couple of hours on me, but I can notice it close to the skin beyond that. Harvitz81 recommends MPG Santal Noble which is more complex, and there's also Villoresi's Sandalo, which I actually prefer to the MPG. And, of course, Tam Dao. But, for my money, the nicest of all of the ones I've tried is the AoS. I certainly like it best.

If it smells like the soap, I am definitely going pick up a bottle.

SCS Sandalwood from Wood is a very good, traditional, sandalwood/vanilla scent. The wood scent is sophisticated and well defined, the vanilla is not too sweet, and the fragrance projects and lasts rather well.

How would you say it compares to Floris Sandalwood?
I haven't had the opportunity to try the discontinued Floris sandalwood, but I do own their Santal, which is more an artistic interpretation of sandalwood, but is really beautiful. SCS is not a complex perfumey sandalwood, with all kinds of other notes. It's nice to have a scent like that, but if you sometimes just want a plain sandalwood scent the SCS is a great buy, and made from quality ingredients, but it's not a complex creation, just an incensy sandalwood, nothing more. Lasts forever on me.

Top Bottom