What's new

Slim settings recommends?

Yes yes yes - ymmv and all that - but I just got a Slim in the mail and I'd like to get some settings recommends.

I have a tech which I never use - too mild. My other razor and everyday shaver for the last six months has been a Merkur HD. My favorite blade has been a black package Gillette 7 O'Clock.

I know, I'm supposed to start on 1 and work my way up - but I'm too impatient!

I suggest starting with a "3" to "5" setting. I started with those settings about 40 years ago (Slims were new) and found them to be "forgiving". When I 1st started with the Slim, there was no internet and guidance was generally unavailable. I never even thought about refinements such as pressure or angle. Using a setting above "5" resulted in nicks.

Today, I have been using "9", MWF, and Feather blades. A setting of "9" is only possible for me (with DE experience) because I have learned about prep, to use only very light pressure, pay attension to the direction of the grain, WTG beard reduction, and how to take extreme care (from shaving forums).

The Slim is a great choice. I also use a Merkur 34G and Merkur Vision. I like them both for every day shaves.

HTH

Last edited:
I moved to a slim from a 34 and started on 7, found it unbelievable, opened it up to 9, found it too aggressive, dialed it back down to 7, and loved it for a while. I've since moved to a fat boy and run that only on 9 with great results. I'm probably going to go back and give the slim a week, starting at 9 and see what my thoughts are now.

I find 7 on a slim works for me for most of the blades that come out of the St.Petersburgh factory including The Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge 'yellows'.

To start maybe a 3-5, personally all my adjustables are set at 9 or in the case of the futur 6.
This thread made me grab the slim for this mornings shave, havn't used it in forever.

i started at a 1 setting but found it too mild. Now I do my first pass at 5 and increase the settings by one or two with each pass with my final pass at 8 or 9 except for my neck which is usually kept at 7 or if I feel brave :scared: 8.

I use mine on either a 4 or 5 for the first two passes and actually dial it up to 7 for the last pass. I find the bigger blade exposure helps get those last rough patches.

I use 9 mostly, with a moderate sharp blade(rapira) works wonders. Lower down to 7 if my skin feels not so good. But under than that cant give me the close shave I want, though rather comfortable.

I just used my slim on 5 with an Astra blade a few minutes ago and got about the best shave I've ever had. I think I found my magic number.

Yep i agree with above comments, I use a Slim with 2-3 day beard growth i use Slim on 5 first pass, then 4 on Second pass, then if i want to go against the grain i bring it down to a 3 or leave it at a 4 either way it works for me, and i do have very sensitive skin, some of these adjustable Razor's work better in higher settings then in lower settings :) Hope this helps

Top Bottom