What's new

Past few shaves NASTY. Figured out my problem!!!

My past several shaves, I'd say 4 or 5, have been no fun at all. I got a decent shave, but not as close as normal and it felt HORRIBLE during the process. After a few days I finally realized what I was doing different. Usually I shave in the morning with very little prep. I rub some warm water on my face and go at it. I decided to start shaving at night after a hot shower to better my prepping routine. The best way to prep right? WRONG, at least not for me! I read up on cold water shaving, and I tried it tonight. WOW. I didn't COLD water shave. I luke-warm water shaved. I didn't soak my hair for a long time either. Just a splash, then cream, and started shaving. Amazing results! Even closer shave, and it felt awesome. Plus after the shave my face wasn't all warm and puffy. My theory is this. When the hair is hot and water-soaked its like trying to cut a string that someone is holding limp. Pull the string tight and snap! That knife slices right through it. With minimal water exposure before shaving the hair isn't swollen and soaked so the razor cuts it clean like a tight string. YMMV!! WooHoo!! Thanx for reading!!

Glad it works for you. I use both cold and warm water shaving with the same results. In the summer I like cold water shaves and in the cooler weather - whenever that is in Florida - I use warm water. For me I get the same results with both.

This is the theory of those cold shave advocates, it is not new at all. You can read about it in the "famous" shaving book from 1905 or something...:wink2: The question is whether that is really the dominant factor and whether these relatively small differences in temperature could drive much of the process one way or the other. The other being that object tend to expand when they are heated. Having said that, the goal of this hobby is to determine what works for you and that should be the center of your quest.

Al raz.

MMy theory is this. When the hair is hot and water-soaked its like trying to cut a string that someone is holding limp. Pull the string tight and snap! That knife slices right through it. With minimal water exposure before shaving the hair isn't swollen and soaked so the razor cuts it clean like a tight string. YMMV!! WooHoo!! Thanx for reading!!

One aspect you did not mention is the degree of skin stretching, as it will have an impact on the final result. I do like getting the whiskers softer before shaving, either by showering or a good long lather up session.

I have never really thought much about it, but I wonder how much of your experience is simply due to shaving in the morning versus the evening? As one may wake up more or less hydrated, puffy eyes or not, etc. I am not suggesting it has an impact, just wondering out loud.

I shave both ways, Cold water and Warm water. Generally both ways can give me a great shave but I am a little partial to Cold water shaving.

I experienced that when having a 5 day growth cold water shaving is less comfortable than with say a 2 day growth. Lots more tugging and pulling with long stubble. A hot water prep softens it and removes the tugging and pulling.

Top Bottom