What's new

Colored Inks

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have a question for those of you able to use multiple colors of inks. I read that so and so always has Brown/Purple/Green loaded in their pens. When are you actually using these inks and for what purpose? Is it personal notes, or actual business documentation? I would find it hard to believe your sending out memos in brown or green ink, but then again maybe you are.

Do you sign checks with these various inks? I am truly envious of the fact your able to use so many colors while you work.

For writing that leaves my desk I use blue. For writing that stays I use whatever color I have loaded for the day/week. I like having daily notes in different colors, helps to distinguish the distinct activities of days. Especially when projects run long and everything starts to blend together. Just before collective amnesia strikes.

I use blue at work for signing any work papers or documents...

I take personal or business notes (stuff that others don't see) in whatever color I feel like (red, green, brown, black, blue, orange)

My journaling or planner get whatever color I have on me that day...so they end up lots of different colors.

I usually carry
A Black
Herbin's De Lune
A Dark Blue
a Red
and PR Chocolat

And I use whatever floats my boat at the moment.... Especially for the clients when they are being real knuckleheads

I tend to keep my VP loaded with brown (iroshizuku yama-guri) and use it for personal writing (e.g., grocery/shopping lists, signing credit card receipts, etc.) At work I have my MB loaded with black (Edelstein Onyx) for formal writing and my Nakaya loaded with blue (iroshizuku tsuki-yo) for similar tasks. I just loaded a new Esterbrook with a music/stub nib with DC Supershow Blue to use as a signature pen for letters and legal pleadings... I also tend to keep a few pens loaded with reds (Herbin 1670) and purples for note taking or margin annotations of case law.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I usually carry
A Black
Herbin's De Lune
A Dark Blue
a Red
and PR Chocolat

And I use whatever floats my boat at the moment.... Especially for the clients when they are being real knuckleheads

I dont think I could ever carry that many pens. I usually carry one FP, usually filled with Bad Belted Kingfisher. I also carry a Pilot G3 for misc stuff, like labeling specimens at work or letting people borrow. I often get ugly looks when people want to use my Fountain Pens. If its a cheap pen, no problem. I always CRINGE when they try pulling the top off.....

I have a very inexpensive (cheap) 5 finger cigarillo case (leather) that will hold 5 pens or 4 pens and a "51" pencil I think I paid 3 bucks apiece for them a year ago

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have a very inexpensive (cheap) 5 finger cigarillo case (leather) that will hold 5 pens or 4 pens and a "51" pencil I think I paid 3 bucks apiece for them a year ago

You always have to great odd finds. I really want to load up one of my MB's with Baystate Blue, but that ink will never touch anything other than an esterbrook that I hve.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Baystate Blue touches nothing but my dip nibs !!!!!!

I already corrupted an esterbrook with it, so therefore it has become my BSB pen. I even left the ink in the pen for over a month just to see if there would be any negative effects. There was not one hiccup with the esterbrook. Mind you the feed is now discolored an odd blueish/hazy color.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Baystate Blue touches nothing but my dip nibs !!!!!!

Baystate Blue isn't even allowed in my house!

I usually have two pens at work, one inked with a black or blue/black and always one with royal blue. I never have more than two on me at once.

Legion

Staff member
The pen that stays on my desk has forest green ink, the pen that I carry has a custom violet colour.

I don't really need to sign many business documents. My pens are used mostly for taking notes, writing lists, signing autographs. That sort of thing.

Some people have used multiple colors to color code. Like orange for text markers and red for corrections and a few other colors that are context dependent.

Rick

For work I usually have two pens, one with black and the second one with some other color, lately it's been Noodler's Cactus Fruit Eel.

For school I add a third pen with a different ink, usually something that will stand out from the black, like Yu-yake, or a nice turquoise. I take notes in black and use the other two pens to annotate my notes, or make corrections.

When I'm just running around town my TWSBI 530 goes with me, with what ever ink it happens to have in it.

I am in a phase of playing around with a lot of different inks, I have a bunch of different pens of various qualities, and I do not handwrite very much these days, so I have ended up using lots of different colors for lots of different purposes.

I keep black, blue-black, blue, brown-black (such as iroshizuku "yama guri"), and green-black (such as Noodler's "Zhivago"), for signatures. I am sort of fascinated with the idea of whether one could sign a fairly formal business document with say a dark brown, or Herbin "de Lune," or Noodler's 'Te Chang."

I have also been trying to wrte some short personal notes and have been thinking hard about how "interesting" the inks could be to be used to be used for them. I never would have thought it, but I think the Herbin 1670 might be useable for that.

I wonder if one can sign checks and credit card slips in green.

I use various colors to mark up documents in drafting, or to write notes on documents to pass around.

I think brown inks have a very solid history. I am starting to think that the right brown is a conservative useable color for all sorts of purposes!

I am in a phase of playing around with a lot of different inks, I have a bunch of different pens of various qualities, and I do not handwrite very much these days, so I have ended up using lots of different colors for lots of different purposes.

I keep black, blue-black, blue, brown-black (such as iroshizuku "yama guri"), and green-black (such as Noodler's "Zhivago"), for signatures. I am sort of fascinated with the idea of whether one could sign a fairly formal business document with say a dark brown, or Herbin "de Lune," or Noodler's 'Te Chang."

I have also been trying to wrte some short personal notes and have been thinking hard about how "interesting" the inks could be to be used to be used for them. I never would have thought it, but I think the Herbin 1670 might be useable for that.

I wonder if one can sign checks and credit card slips in green.

I use various colors to mark up documents in drafting, or to write notes on documents to pass around.

I think brown inks have a very solid history. I am starting to think that the right brown is a conservative useable color for all sorts of purposes!

I don't see why not. For a long time wrote and signed all checks and credit card slips in red. I figured that if my check book was ever lost or stolen it would be very easy to figure out what check was the last one I wrote.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I don't see why not. For a long time wrote and signed all checks and credit card slips in red. I figured that if my check book was ever lost or stolen it would be very easy to figure out what check was the last one I wrote.

That is actually a great idea. I know that some people wouldnt bother with tampering with the inks to try to forge bigger amounts on Joe Schmo, but i weary of not using anything but a bulletproof on something like that. I do like the idea that your able to poke at a check that you didnt write due to color.

There is a doctor that happens to work in the ER. ALL of his admission orders are in purple, even though the hospital only states black in an unofficial policy. This rule holds true for everyone except for Dr.s of course. ANYWAY, you see purple, you know Dr. XXX filled those orders out. IN the same regards, if you see black on that order, he can clearly say, "I didnt write that".

On my desk, I have 5 of the same pen (a cheap Chinese pen I found locally) each with a different color of ink: Quink Black, Pelikan 4001 Turquoise, Pelikan 4001 Blue, Pelikan 4001 Green, and Quink Red - cheap inks I know, but that is the only selection I've found here in Kenya and haven't taken the effort to have other inks shipped in. Too much money has recently gone to having loose leaf tea brought in :sneaky2: Back on topic, I use the black as my main writing ink when preparing lessons and messages. The other colors are used for supplemental notes or to add emphasis to the main text as needed.

I haven't gone FP yet, but I gather these are a step in that direction.

The funny thing is I do similar things to what you guys describe. I keep all these colors in my pen stand on my desk, but usually only use green, purple, red, and black for taking notes and sorting information.

Every time I take a vacation or time off, and come back to the office I find paperwork filled out in PURPLE ink. My colleague must have trouble distinguishing between the blue, black, and purple pens in the same cup. I chuckle every time I stumble upon a formal document written in colored ink.

I usually write in blue gel.

Attachments

• $TUL.jpg
    $TUL.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom