What's new

Gillette Vector (Atra style) Cartridge Razor and Blades

I purchased the Vector recently for use as a travel razor when I didn’t want to deal with checking a bag, mailing blades ahead, or general TSA tomfoolery. I purchased from an Indian eBay seller along with 5 blades (4 + 1) for around $7. It took a little over two weeks to arrive, just in time for use on a trip.

The build quality of the Vector is indeed uninspiring. While it looks almost identical to the Contour Plus manufactured for the European market, it contains absolutely no metal (other than possibly the grips of the blade holder mechanism). It is very light weight but does feel balanced and grippy in your hand, much better than a disposable. I didn’t have any trouble with lively pivot mentioned by others. I think getting a proper pivot reaction is a function of having the blade seated 100% correctly which does take a bit more effort than you might think.

The Vector blades have a green Aloe lube strip that absorbs quite a bit of water and is very “snotty” (for lack of a better word) during the first couple of uses. The strip gets gooey to the point that you can see a string of material sticking as you pull the blade away from your face. This is similar to the Fusion strips and Schick Hydro gel, but calms down to normal cartridge lube strip with minimal “snottiness” after a couple of shaves.

Shave quality from the Vector blades was on par with what I’ve got from most other cartridge blades and disposables including the Sensor3, Mach3, Schick ST2, and Bic Metal. A single WTG pass gives nearly DFS, though it’s fading by mid-day. A 2-pass WTG/ATG gives true DFS that lasts into the early evening. That said, as is the case with all other carts, going 2-pass is taxing on the skin and can lead to notable burn by the third consecutive day. As such, this will likely only be my travel razor of choice for short trips and/or work trips where I will be visiting customers less frequently than 3 days in a row. As long as I take a day off after two consecutive 2-pass shave days, even if you still go 1-pass WTG, the burn can be minimized or eliminated.

Results were similar with bowl-lathered Proraso and Barbasol Yellow. After nearly 6 months of DE with only occasional cart use (traveling or in a hurry) I found myself quickly reverting to old bad habits like taking long sweeping strokes and not rinsing often enough. Focusing on decent technique similar to DE, specifically short repetitive strokes and frequent rinsing, yielded a much more acceptable result both in terms of closeness and comfort.

While the Vector will be a perfectly acceptable travel razor, one I won’t fret over losing if I leave it behind in a hotel bathroom, I’m not convinced it will last longer than a year or two given the fairly flimsy build quality. If/when it does break I’ll likely try to replace it with a European Contour Plus or one of the Schick Atra clones. I can’t see myself paying vintage metal Atra prices for a travel razor, however, and I do prefer the pivot over a fixed head like the Trac II (based on my experience with the Schick ST2).

Overall, I would recommend the Vector to anyone who wants to try an Atra style razor at a minimal cost, but don’t expect it to be the end-all of Atra razors if you end up using it frequently. The Vector blades are also quite acceptable AFTER you work through snottiness of the lube strip during the first couple of shaves. I’ll be trying more generic Atra blades in the coming months, specifically the DG Dorcos, Fred’s Personnas, and Wal-Mart Wilkinsons.

I just got mine yesterday from desistores.net in india,along with some nice creams and blades...will try it soon,really just was curious to see how it stacks up..

I tried one this morning.

Lube strip is really SLIMY.

Nice shave, even though the handle is super light weight.

The cartridge has a tab you can press to slide between the blades. It seems pretty nice for such an inexpensive razor.

IME, the cartridge with the green lube strip is the best of all available Atra-style cartridges. Go ahead and experiment with the others, but the only one that comes close is the WalMart Wilkinson Sword carts.

Top Bottom