What's new

Custom Razor Makers (comparisons/opinions wanted)

I know this has been discussed on a few occasions a while back, but given the amount of new razor makers on the rise I thought I’d pose the discussion again. I’m in the market to order a custom razor and would like to solicit the opinions of others here as to who to consider. As many of you know, some of the more tenured razor makers (of which I would love to buy from) are no longer taking orders.

I’ll start the list of the names I’ve compiled so far of craftsmen that I believe are still taking on new work. Please feel free to suggest additional ones or post your thoughts on these gentlemen’s work.

Alex Jacques
Robert Williams
Brian Brown
Charlie Lewis
Tim Zowanda

In the interest of keeping this thread positive, please refrain from publicly posting negative feedback. If you have firsthand experience with a razor maker that you were not please with and would like to share, please send me a PM.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Is TI no longer taking orders? I was looking at them online. You may want to put ten on the list if they are

Great thread.

I would like ot add Gabor (I think his user name is Buddel here) to the list of custom razorsmiths.
website
I really like the looks of his razors but haven't heard/seen any feedback on his razors.

Also I think Max Sprecher is also making his own blades too. would be interested in seeing some reviews of his razors

Thanks superbleau. I've had some work done by Max in the past. Fantastic guy to work with. I had no idea he was making his own blades now. Just confirmed on his website! wow.

I have only dealt with Brian and each time he has be totally accommodating to what I wanted in each razor. I was able to pick out the scales, wedge, razor shape and length of the blade. What I had in my mind for a razor Brian brought to life.

Thanks Rick. You thread in part is what sparked my post. Great razors you got there. I'll likely place an order with Brian soon.

Great thread.

I would like ot add Gabor (I think his user name is Buddel here) to the list of custom razorsmiths.
website
I really like the looks of his razors but haven't heard/seen any feedback on his razors.

Also I think Max Sprecher is also making his own blades too. would be interested in seeing some reviews of his razors

Gabor isn't taking any orders right now as he's taking a break. He informed me maybe later this year or early next year he would start back up.

I've a williams and a zowada.

The zowada (b&b le) is pretty much perfect. A glorious combination of form and function. No complaints at all.

The Williams (purist) came with some scale/discoloration still on the blade. Easy to take off myself, but not really what i expected. It also needed some work on the hones to dial it in. It was very, very sharp - but a little harsh for me. Though im happy to chalk that down to personal preference.

Zowadas are perfect ... everything is just so.

If you can find a Joe Chandler, they are large razors with excellent fit and finish.

Nothing has shaved closer than the Robert Williams I owned. The steel and the edge are a dream.

I have 2 of Tim Zowadas razors a 2h2h prototype and 1of his new carbon series what's is there to say about the they are 2 of the finest razors I own I also have a custom in the works if you follow his Facebook page he has pictures of it being mad can't wait to get it I will say he knows how to make a fine razor but the edge he puts on them is outstanding. I also have 1 of mistro Livi new Grinds also a fine razor with a outstanding edge. Also 1 by Robert Williams another fine craftsman and nice edge. Also a Bryan Brown another great razor. Lat but by no means Least I have 7 Hart Steels they have never let me down all of mine came shave ready there are a few more customs I want and I will have them sometime before I die each of the razors are made by true craftsmen all I need to do is hit the lottery and I will be set

Sandor jennes and Pierre rodrigue do some nice work... Papatony is starting his shop up and let me tell ya, he knows his stuff

A few more who do excellent work -

Ken Powell
Ali's Blades (Cedric Christ)
Dylan Farnham
Butch Harner
Phil Dobson

I have a problem with most custom razors they all tend to go with the same quarter hollow grind and the ones I've owned don't seem well balanced in hand, I will own another custom in fact I have one on order and the first thing I insisted on was a half hollow grind 7/8 and a blade and scales that don't stray to far from their origins.

I have 2 of Tim Zowadas razors a 2h2h prototype and 1of his new carbon series what's is there to say about the they are 2 of the finest razors I own I also have a custom in the works if you follow his Facebook page he has pictures of it being mad can't wait to get it I will say he knows how to make a fine razor but the edge he puts on them is outstanding. I also have 1 of mistro Livi new Grinds also a fine razor with a outstanding edge. Also 1 by Robert Williams another fine craftsman and nice edge. Also a Bryan Brown another great razor. Lat but by no means Least I have 7 Hart Steels they have never let me down all of mine came shave ready there are a few more customs I want and I will have them sometime before I die each of the razors are made by true craftsmen all I need to do is hit the lottery and I will be set

WOW! Let me say that again,,, WOW! I am showing this to my wife immediately so she will see that custom razors are NEEDED and not just wanted. On a serious note, can you post up a picture or two? I love to do a bit of drooling.

Richard Epting. Never had any experience with his razors but I know he does quality knife work. His San Mai razors are gorgeous. Not sure he is taking orders either.

Last edited:
And I don't know if Tom Krein would make anymore razors other than the batch he did last year. Again I have never used one, but being the craftsman he is I doubt he would make them if they didn't shave well.

My own meager collection of customs or semi customs consists of 3 Tim Zowada razors, 3 Harts, and one Wacker. All are very good razors, but the very top of the list is Zowada. I have two full custom Zowada razors and a 2H2H prototype all of which are stunning. I hesitate to use the word flawless on anything, but if any exist on these razors I can not find them. I find his work to be right at the very apex of art and science.

Top Bottom