What's new

Best scent for the office

Sure this has been covered before, what is your go to scent for work. Can't be too over powering because some people have allergies or just don't like the scent and complain. I usually wear Gendarme but usually switch it up with Lacoste Essentials especially now that summer is here. BB Brit in the fall, BB London for the winter, and HB signature and good ole' Polo Black as audibles for the Spring.

Last edited:
This is something I think about a lot. The first three that come immediately to mind to me are: Dunhill 1934, T&H Grafton, and Guerlain Vetiver.

This is a pretty delicate subject. I would say that something mild and sort of neutral would be best. I love lavander water so that would be my pick but the key, as you said, is moderation.

Al raz.

I wear tons of stuff, but a go to for me at work would be Habit Rouge EdP and recently, Creed Baie de Genevire. Both might be a tad strong for some tastes, but they're both pretty pleasant scents.

Also like Original Vetiver, Gendarme 20. Derby on occasion.

Lanvin L'homme.
Citrus opening. Spicy lavender middle. Light woody drydown. Not really an aquatic but gives the impression of bright, clean and tailored.
Decent longevity. Stays quite close to the skin so it won't be offensive. Very clean and fresh.

Applied with moderation, I don't think there are too many outright inappropriate scents for office wear. I'd probably shy away from more floral/femme stuff if it's a conservative workplace.

I'd say you can just about wear anything you want as long as you don't overapply and potentially offend others. Other than that, who cares?

I wear what I normally would wear in the daytime making sure the application is light enough.
This currently includes: YSL L'Homme, Bvlgari Aqva, Lacoste Essential, Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme, Fragonard Beau Gosse and others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

I mostly wear whatever I want, as I'm usually working alone in my office, but I try not to over apply, and I do consider the selection when I know I'll be in meetings or working in close quarters with others.

There as lots and lots of possibilities, of course. I guess, too, I might thinking of what I consider "Board Room" scents, rather than say casual Friday scents.

By Board Room scents I am thinking in terms of what I would wear as a scent to an important business meeting, where I would want to wear a well-made conservative suit, shoes, tie, etc. Something where I want to project a serious, no nonsense image. The ones I named--Dunhill 1934, T&H Grafton, and Guerlain Vetive--work for that. MPG Baime also comes to mind.

Then there is the sort of step beyond mere Board Room situations, where I want to feel and come across as all of the above, but also to project and have the feeling of a refined agressive edge--even somewhat of a patrician and/or arrogant image. The ones that come immediately to mind there are Pen's BB, K10, and Mazzolari Lui.

There as lots and lots of possibilities, of course. I guess, too, I might thinking of what I consider "Board Room" scents, rather than say casual Friday scents.

By Board Room scents I am thinking in terms of what I would wear as a scent to an important business meeting, where I would want to wear a well-made conservative suit, shoes, tie, etc. Something where I want to project a serious, no nonsense image. The ones I named--Dunhill 1934, T&H Grafton, and Guerlain Vetive--work for that. MPG Baime also comes to mind.

Then there is the sort of step beyond mere Board Room situations, where I want to feel and come across as all of the above, but also to project and have the feeling of a refined agressive edge--even somewhat of a patrician and/or arrogant image. The ones that come immediately to mind there are Pen's BB, K10, and Mazzolari Lui.

I know I'm in a severe minority here, but I've never really read BB as a power scent (in the sense of power suit, not powerhouse scent). Definitely conservative and refined, but I never understood the whole aggressive/unfriendly vibe that people seem to pick up on.

YMMV, I suppose!

Numerous fragrances can be used in an office setting if used in moderation. I find Platinum Egoiste by Chanel to be a very acceptable scent for the office.

I know I'm in a severe minority here, but I've never really read BB as a power scent (in the sense of power suit, not powerhouse scent). Definitely conservative and refined, but I never understood the whole aggressive/unfriendly vibe that people seem to pick up on.

YMMV, I suppose!

I agree. BB seems mild mannered to me, and perhaps well suited for the office because of that. I'm also going to throw Givenchy Gentleman (though I've only tried the vintage formula) and MPG Parfum d'Habit into the ring.

I think BB's black pepper mixed with lemon gives it a sharp, hard edge, as opposed to scents that are described as "soft and sweet".

It's interesting to think of scents helping to project a certain image, and I believe they do that.

Whatever you use as a daily scent (as compared to something you'd use after 5, out for the evening) should be just fine, in EdT or aftershave, rather than cologne. Usually, citrus based scents are "recommended" for daytime wear in the office in everything I've ever referenced. I use AdP Colonia, but I also use Clubman, or Canoe occasionally. And not enough so that anyone else would notice, I hope.

All I know is that, for men especially, anything too strong, or intense, is a negative. I cannot remember the last time I was in a meeting, here or in Chicago, where it was obvious from across a table that a man was wearing a scent. And that usually applies to women, as well, anymore. I meet with people in all sorts of business situations, and it just isn't common for me to notice anything.

Whatever you use as a daily scent (as compared to something you'd use after 5, out for the evening) should be just fine, in EdT or aftershave, rather than cologne. Usually, citrus based scents are "recommended" for daytime wear in the office in everything I've ever referenced. I use AdP Colonia, but I also use Clubman, or Canoe occasionally. And not enough so that anyone else would notice, I hope.

All I know is that, for men especially, anything too strong, or intense, is a negative. I cannot remember the last time I was in a meeting, here or in Chicago, where it was obvious from across a table that a man was wearing a scent. And that usually applies to women, as well, anymore. I meet with people in all sorts of business situations, and it just isn't common for me to notice anything.

EdT is actually a stronger concentration than Eau d'Cologne. Just FYI in case you're shopping for a frag anytime soon. Aftershave - EdC - EdT - Eau d'Parfum - Parfum Extrait, from lightest to heaviest concentration.

Top Bottom