What's new

Men-u synthetic brushes

I've read good things about the Men-u Premiere Synthetic Shave Brush, but I haven't seen anything on the less expensive Barbier Synthetic Shave Brush. Amazon lists the Premier for $56.99 while the Barbier is only $19.50. Has anyone tried both? Anyone familiar with the Barbier version?

I currently have a classicshaving.com Italian badger brush and just got an Omega boar brush and was looking to try a synthetic as well. Thanks!!

I only have experience with the Men-u Premiere....Its mixed reviews, as I am sure u have read by now.

My premiere was a solidly built brush, shed a few the first shave but none after that. It made uber tons of lather from creams, not very good for me on soaps. Its kinda prickly on face for the first couple weeks while breaking in. It does dry fast, and doesnt come with badger/boar stank to it.

I believe the whole synthetic brush thing is really hit or miss with people imo. Personally I sold mine about 1 month after buying it.

For what its worth, I understand people say wonderful things about the Taylor of old bond street synthetic brushes, it won the synthetic brush war around here several months back. There was a wonderful write up comparing all the major players in the synthetic brush world, I have no idea how to find that thread though, maybe somebody smarter than myself can do that for u.

If u are interested in a boar brush For $20 range, check out Lees safety razors, the Semouge line is a wonderful bargain for a top shelf quality brush, I love mine more everyday. I have and recommend the 1305 model religiously to new comers looking for a great deal on a cant miss product. Its truly one of the best shaving deals out there for the $$$. At least check them out, they deserve it, trust me!! Heres a quick link 4 u too!

http://www.leesrazors.com/categories/Shaving-Brushes/Semogue/
Good luck, and keep us updated on what u decide on , and how it works out for u!

And welcome to the B&B

I bought Omega synthetic brush for $30 and been very happy with it. Now my wife uses it for her shaving and loves it how easy it is to make lather. Besides, very low maintenance.

The only Omega synthetic I've come across so far is the Syntec, but it's almost half that price--where did you get your Omega synthetic?

The Men-U are not bad from what I hear. I have had excellent results with the Edwin Jagger synthetic line and highly recommend them; they are the only brush I will use. They can often be found on eBay at a reasonable price if you don't want to order directly from EJ.

For a cheap and decent entry into synthetic brushes you should consider the Body Shop synthetic brush. It's cheap, $11 or $12 IIRC, readily available, and IMHO similar to the the feel and stiffness of the entry level Omega boar brushes.

When I first got into DE shaving a company send me the cheap Men-U brush and shave cream to write up a review.

As it was my first brush I had nothing to compare it with an convinced myselff that it was creme de la creme.

Now it sits at my parents place for that monthly visit.
I still use it. It`s not that it si unpleasent in any way but I do prefer my Semogue 1305 over it.

No idea how online translators will do with my review but here are some links:
My blog
Companys website

I purchased from Amazon the Parker synthetic bristle shaving brush with blue wood handle for about $20. I would be better off with a small paint brush. Not sure if you are looking for a synthetic brush for the animal factor or if you are just looking for an inexpesive brush. If it is the latter, you can purchase a Simpson in pure for under $40 and get a high quality handmade brush.

Thanks for all the input. I figure I have an entry level badger brush that I like, an entry level boar brush that I'm still breaking in and I'd like to give synthetic a try. I didn't notice any animal smell on my badger brush, but the boar brush really smells funky out of the box. I shampooed it and that helped a bit. I'm hoping after a few more uses the soap smell will overpower the current odor.

I got the Omega 643188 Synthetic Badger Brush. I've been happy with it. But a well broken boar brush is very nice for face lathering.

Top Bottom