What's new

How can a nib be left handed?

It just makes the lefties feel important.
We throw them a bone every once and a while.
The real conspiracy has to do with the way doors open.

Edit: uh.... are you left handed by any chance?

I am a lefty and I have a Parker Vacumatic that is ground for a lefty. AHHH Heaven. :drool:

But my scissors are still upside down.:cursing:

My dad is right handed yet he writes with a lefty style underhand like in example #7.
My friend from Hong Kong whose in his 40's is left handed but they made him do things like writing right handed while he was in school.
Two of my best friends (who used to share a house together) are left handed. It was annoying to try to borrow a baseball glove if you forgot yours.
My boss is left handed, he's an over writer. His writing is horrible.
My aunt who is right handed, writes in exactly the same way as my dad.

That's all I know about lefties.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Two of my best friends (who used to share a house together) are left handed. It was annoying to try to borrow a baseball glove if you forgot yours.

On behalf of all the lefties of the world, let me apologize for the one time you had to use a product made for the opposite hand. :001_tt2:

Being right handed must be so hard...not having to special order equipment because you need it it left-handed...

I think left-handed nibs are just the mirror image of right, from what I've read. It's like the 'oblique' nib.

Sounds like right handed commie propoganda to me.:confused1

I remember being in a coffee shop sitting to the right of my uncle. I drank my coffee, then uncle started to pick the cup up and found that it was empty. I reminded him I was left handed. There was a cold cup to my right that was supposed to be mine.

strop

Now half as wise
As a kid I remember watching my Dad install tongue & Groove boards for the bed of a truck to haul grain. He was a teacher but was helping my grandfather. After bending over sveral nails, and missing a few, he looked over at me and said "this is because of this left-handed hammer of your grandfather's" (he was a leftie)!

Mark

ouch

I respectfully withdraw my original question.

Here is a terrific explanation that makes perfect sense to me- it's about halfway down the page on richardspens.com, under Nibs I: The Basics

Like an italic, an oblique italic will generally be “catchier” than a round nib or a stub unless ground as a cursive oblique italic. For comparison, an italic is shown at the left in the following figure. The nib in the middle is a left-foot oblique italic; it looks like a left foot when viewed from the top. A right-foot oblique italic is cut on the opposite slant, as shown on the right:
(NB: I only posted the left oblique pic.)

proxy.php

When you write with an oblique, you must change the orientation of the pen in order to make the nib’s flat surface contact the paper. A left-foot oblique, when used by a right-handed person, will be rotated counterclockwise in the writer’s hand so that the nib is facing generally toward the writer’s left rather than diagonally away from the writer. The following photos, arranged to correspond with the nib shapes above, illustrate rotation in the hand; in general, the rotation depicted is exaggerated for illustration:
(NB: I only posted the left oblique pic.)

Regardless of whether you are right- or left-handed, you will probably need to experiment to find the best oblique for you. As a general rule, a right-handed person or a left-handed ovewrwriter would use a 15° left-foot oblique or oblique italic to produce cursive or italic writing. A left-handed underwriter would use a 15° right-foot oblique. (A left-handed overwriter positions the pen and paper so that the writing hand passes above the text being written, sliding over text that was written before. An underwriter positions things so that the writing hand passes below the text being written, sliding over clean paper.) Some left-handed underwriters find that they get better results from a 30° left-foot oblique.

While we're on the topic of left-handedness, I have a question.

Which way is supposed to go up when you're writing? I've tried googling this, and I haven't found any good diagrams. I just write with it the way ink comes out of the pen from, but with my luck I'm upside-down.

As per Ouch's post, when using any sort of Italic or oblique nib, lefties will benefit greatly from having a left-handed nib.

Other than that most nibs have a ball at the tip that works equally well for lefties as it does righties - at least that's my experience.

ouch

That goes for left handed overwriters, but an underwriter would seem to benefit from a right oblique.

Complicated!

Underwriting just looks uncomfortable. My mom does it, but most lefties in my age group (including me) write similarly with small variations.

Top Bottom